Dragons Dogma to receive a f2p sequel.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Jack O said:
Oh my freaking god, WHAT THE HELL IS WITH ALL THESE GOD DAMN MMOS?!
JUST MAKE A DAMN CO-OP OPTION INSTEAD, WAY LESS STUPID STUFF TO DEAL WITH IN MAKING THE GAME I MEAN COME ON!
WHY IS THE ANSWER TO LACK OF MULTIPLAYER ALL THE MULTIPLAYER EVER FOR THESE PEOPLE?!
I'm pissed as it is by the silly ass ending of the original game, even if I love the game alot. But where are they going to go from there? What will they do? And why is it so much to ask that they just give us a normal game with co-op? What? What is it?
I am legitimately curious WHY we can't just have normal co-op. Because this just looks dumb as is.
Its pretty hard to get multiplayer beyond LANs for most pirated games, and you arent really going to be able to have a decent mmo experience on a pirated game.

So I blame the horrendous overreaction businesses have to piracy.

Towowo

Sep 22, 2008
What is with the knee jerk reactions to MMO's? It seems like there is a pathological hatred of them here. The idea that if the game is an MMO essentially means it'll be automatically terrible, granted it is from Capcom and they have pretty bad history of late.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Towowo said:
What is with the knee jerk reactions to MMO's? It seems like there is a pathological hatred of them here. The idea that if the game is an MMO essentially means it'll be automatically terrible, granted it is from Capcom and they have pretty bad history of late.
It has to be better than WOW to be worth my attention, as theres no way Id play two MMOs(WOW and this) at the same time, id never get anywhere in either game. Whilst id happily play two rpgs at the same time. It probably wont be better so theres a franchise I probably never get to enjoy as a singleplayer experience again.

Towowo

Sep 22, 2008
The game itself felt like it was teasing a multiplayer experience to by having AI controlled Pawns, though I would have liked a more comprehensive co-op option the fact it's an MMO doesn't bother me I suppose.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well MMO is where franchises go to die sadly, so I'm sorry for all Dragon's Dogma fans.
I wouldn't at all mind a separate MMO that takes the DD combat, being instanced they could actually skip almost all lag which is the biggest killer of MMO combat and make it just as good as the single player. Sadly from the trailers it looks like they had some Final Fantasy thing half done and now put a new name on it, so if you can't play to the strengths you had what is even the point to this...

Mutant1988

Sep 9, 2013
Smooth Operator said:
Well MMO is where franchises go to die sadly, so I'm sorry for all Dragon's Dogma fans.
I wouldn't at all mind a separate MMO that takes the DD combat, being instanced they could actually skip almost all lag which is the biggest killer of MMO combat and make it just as good as the single player. Sadly from the trailers it looks like they had some Final Fantasy thing half done and now put a new name on it, so if you can't play to the strengths you had what is even the point to this...
If it's strictly instanced it doesn't even need to be an MMO. Shouldn't be an MMO, in my opinion. Just let me buy content to keep and play at my own convenience instead of have to rely on remote servers that will eventually be shut down and forever deny me the ability to play the game again.

I would buy a Dragon's Dogma with instanced environs (Bordered off area of the world, with Y monsters and X objectives) and 4 player co-op (With LAN, because **** remote servers) in an instant and gladly pay for additional content for it, as long as the content is substantial and well made (I.E, not locked on disc or solely cosmetic).

That I would have liked. No. Loved. Because that's the entire reason why I bought a PSP and a Vita and I would love to have those kinds of games on PC and home consoles.

Helll, with the common designs of such games you can squeeze out a ridiculous amount of gameplay out of relatively little content, by re-using environments and monsters in different configurations for each instance. All the elements are familiar, but the way they are combined makes for unique stages.

God Eater Burst for the PSP had a grand total of 6 environments across 80+ missions. And it still worked and was fun. Not saying they should strive towards re-using assets though, but come on. It should not be that hard to pull something like this of, using the assets from DD as well as new content. I would be perfectly fine with that graphical quality.

Riotguards

Feb 1, 2013
i loved the original game with the expansion they added, hell the expansion was WAAAAY better because it was well written, designed and just the theme was just amazing (as well as the difficulty)

i believe it didn't do too well but considering the fact that it had little to no advertising i'm not surprised

now that they are releasing it as a F2P i don't see the real appeal of the game, in an RPG you need to have dynamic events and actual progression most MMO's are rather static so how they'll pull it off is beyond me

i'm holding my fingers crossed that they don't mess up but the cynic in me says it will suck

Arean

Windwalker of Shaundakul
Apr 24, 2008
Gonna agree with Mutant here, and say all my interest in the franchise just went out the window.

Why do dev's insist on doing this? (I guess it's profitable?)
Online RPG's always have to make sacrifices to depth/complexity to make it work in an online setting. I was really hoping for a Dragons Dogma 2, I loved the original, but f2P MMO is a complete turn-off, for me at least.

Dansen

Master Lurker
Mar 24, 2010
Towowo said:
I believe the biggest problem people have is the free2play model. If you look at the original rift crystals were just shy of being this exploitative business practice. Its clear that someone had envisioned this cash shop currency that players could pay for to get cosmetic items or to gain an edge by hiring over leveled pawns. I'm pretty sure there was an option to buy the crystals on the market place. Luckily someone put their foot down and cut that shit out of the game. That didn't stop them from making their DLC armor though(nothing wrong with it, just annoying, had to wait for Dark Arisen to get a damn eyepatch).

Now with a f2p model that shit is coming right back in full force guaranteed, there has to be a way to make the game profitable, so obviously they are gonna charge for content. The question is how much of the game will be affected by this? There are examples of decent free to play games.However, after seeing a lot of bullshit Capcom pulls, like on disk dlc and the myriad of fighting game editions for one game, it safe to say that the worst is expected from them.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Fuck yeah, I love server lag in my fast paced mostly single player experiences!
It's why I still play path of exile. So good!
Microtransactions with possible pay 2 win is only a bonus.

Alma Mare

Nov 14, 2010
Towowo said:
A F2P model means that the game progression will be skewered in order to encourage people to buy whatever the game will need to sell to turn a profit (as someone sugested, most likely Rift Crystals). Considering the previous one was a great single player experience, it's hard to see this as an improvement.

Mutant1988

Sep 9, 2013
I don't want MMOs and a reliance on remote servers to play games. That only results in broken games a few years down the line.

I want to be able to play with my friends and no one else and the less connections necessary, the better. Splitscreen? Fantastic. LAN? Great. Direct connection to a client owned server? ****ing magnificent.

They can take their "games as services and digital marketplaces" design philosophy and shove it up their behinds.

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
ironexe said:
Free to Play doesn't mean bad.
It does when the company behind it is notorious for being pretty dick to its customer base, and Capcom has made an art form out of that. They even sold a game's (Asura's Wrath) real ending as $7 DLC once.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Wow, I don't understand the hate. Dragon's Dogma should work fine as an MMO and I don't even like MMOs. It's not like you played Dragon's Dogma for the quests as they were merely excuses to kill giant monsters. The game was basically an MMO but without the online part (and with AI partners). If the new game has combat at least as good, that's all that matters. I don't like/play MMOs now because of the shitty combat, give me an MMO with Dragon's Dogma combat and I would play it. So what if you do have to pay some $$$ to get to the level or whatever you want. I'm willing to spend $60 to skip the boring shit and just start killing and riding big ass monsters; $60 is what it cost for any other game anyways.