Draw Harley Quinn Naked, Killing Herself, To Win DC Artist Contest

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Sgt. Sykes said:
Okay let me ask here... What's the problem?

- people do commit suicide in bathtubs
- when they do it, I assume they're quite often naked

Also, AFAIK, Harley is crazy. Crazy people often run around naked.

Plus it's jut one of 4 panels which are supposed to show her suicide attempts.

So... Well?

Oh, right. 'Naked female suicide' makes for great headlines. No matter that it's just one of 4 scenarios (and the most realistic). No matter that the topic is friggin' SUICIDE. No, it's because it's a) female b) naked. BAN THAT SHIT!!!

BTW if you consider this 'sexualized', ask any paramedic who was called to a real naked female suicide how turned on they were by the dead blue body they found. I think not much.
Yeah, it's pretty much not ok just because it's a woman. Just like it's not ok to have a cross eyed mentally handicapped (background character, of all things) that is female, but it's ok to have a million mentally handicapped male leads on every other cartoon. Social justice at it's finest.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
when was harley ever a strong individual female character?
and unpleasant situation? she was Jokers GF, his bottom ***** who knows what kind of stuff she went through. Suicide would be a walk in the park.

and comics being over sexualized!!!? no really omg won't someone please think of the children, how coud this have happened all of the sudden comics are overly sexual what ever will we do?

This is ridiculous, and a big fuss over nothing.

EstrogenicMuscle

Sep 7, 2012
Next contest, DC asks Harley Quinn be raped by tentacles to win contest.

Hey, I'm not saying clothless people should never be depicted committing suicide for emotional or intellectual value or whatever. But it's pretty suspect.

It's be pretty unusual for them to ask for this of a male character. And is suspect and has a suspicious history behind it that they're doing it with a female character like Harley Quinn. It's like when something looks super suspiciously racist that you wonder how someone couldn't see how problematic something would look, like with people depicting Barack Obama as a monkey, and then going "it's not racist, and besides, I had no idea monkey was a racial slur, I'm colour blind!" or "would drawing a white person as a monkey be racist?".

If you're not aware of how bothersome it looks to be drawing Obama as a monkey, you're either really ignorant of history, or a racist. The same goes for how problematic this situation sounds.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Kyrdra said:
This picture feels kind of relevant:
[http://www.deviantart.com/art/Quinnicide-399525619]
Basically an artist drew what he thought the panels would look like and interestingly the most revealing is her normal outfit. Strange that
Yeah, it's well drawn and all... but I don't get even the slightest hint of Harley Quinn from this. It's just a generic cleavage-heavy pretty girl. And I think there's gonna be a lot of that in this process, really -- people focusing so much on the scenario that they forget to draw the character in a recognizable way.

BurningWyvern90

May 21, 2013
Wow, didn't think I'd be in such a minority here.

My annoyance doesn't come with the fact that it's a woman or she's naked or whatever; honestly, more than anything, it's the way they described the panels. It sounds so...out of character. I know she's kind of Joker's punching bag, but she does at least strike out on her own and join Ivy in some things (at least in the animated series; can't remember if I'd read any of the comics or not...). I don't know that I'd consider her a strong female character, but she's not completely helpless either. I mean, okay, the first three I can see as being quirky and something Harley'd do, but that last one is so unnecessary (not because of the nudity), and unnecessarily dark.

But more than that.
Jumplion said:
We shouldn't be arguing about the logistics of the suicide (whether she's naked, whether it's in character, etc...)

We should be talking about why the hell are they asking the public to draw this in the first place.
Right; why this of all things? Why is this the thing that is most informative about the artist they're trying to find, or why is it so important for them character-wise? Why not switch it up? Harley in different situations where the outcome is different? Or with Joker or Ivy or something? There are so many things you could do to change it up, and I feel like that would give you a better idea of what the artist is capable of.

Basically, DC could have done with some forethought about how they were wording things, I think.

Also, I had a friend who committed suicide a few months ago, so excuse me if I find the last one especially tasteless.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
...I think DC are intentionally trying to run themselves into the ground now. The only people I can think of who would jerk off to this are guys in prison. This is just... if they are trying to appeal to white teenage boys I don't even think they would like to see this. DC... I... I read an article about Fox News once again desperately trying to link games with murder and THIS is still dumbest thing I have read today. You are losing money guys just please... be intelligent and stop being so fucking creepy and offensive to every woman ever.

Capcha: it happens

... you're one of them aren't you?

annoyinglizardvoice

Apr 29, 2009
Dastardly said:
Kyrdra said:
This picture feels kind of relevant:
[http://www.deviantart.com/art/Quinnicide-399525619]
Basically an artist drew what he thought the panels would look like and interestingly the most revealing is her normal outfit. Strange that
Yeah, it's well drawn and all... but I don't get even the slightest hint of Harley Quinn from this. It's just a generic cleavage-heavy pretty girl. And I think there's gonna be a lot of that in this process, really -- people focusing so much on the scenario that they forget to draw the character in a recognizable way.
The Harley in the pics is the New52 version, not the traditional one. DC redesigned her for when thy made her the token female in the New52 version of the Suicide Squad.

P.S. sorry if this one comes up as a quote of several people, having a few issues with internet connection.

L4Y Duke

Nov 24, 2007
Ultratwinkie said:
The Harlequin from the kids show is not Canon. It was written out of continuity long ago. That harley is gone. She has been for years. She is obsolete when the 90s joker is gone too.

The new harley is more in line with the new faceless joker. She is even more crazy, murderous than ever before. Its less about slapstick and more grimdark humor that makes Warhammer look like Bambi.

hell, The New 52 Harley has been getting progressively worse with either mental or physical conditions. She is turning from a "normal" human into the same unstable "mutant" the Joker is.
This gives me an idea.

In the quote given by The Escapist, there is no mention of the word 'suicide'. So, why does everyone assume they want Harley to commit suicide?

Why not have one of the older adaptations/interpretations of Harley Quinn attempting to murder the New 52 version of Harley repeatedly, with the final attempt being attacking her as she bathes?

It's still "Draw Harley Quinn naked, offing herself" without being all suicide-y.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
L4Y Duke said:
Ultratwinkie said:
The Harlequin from the kids show is not Canon. It was written out of continuity long ago. That harley is gone. She has been for years. She is obsolete when the 90s joker is gone too.

The new harley is more in line with the new faceless joker. She is even more crazy, murderous than ever before. Its less about slapstick and more grimdark humor that makes Warhammer look like Bambi.

hell, The New 52 Harley has been getting progressively worse with either mental or physical conditions. She is turning from a "normal" human into the same unstable "mutant" the Joker is.
This gives me an idea.

In the quote given by The Escapist, there is no mention of the word 'suicide'. So, why does everyone assume they want Harley to commit suicide?

Why not have one of the older adaptations/interpretations of Harley Quinn attempting to murder the New 52 version of Harley repeatedly, with the final attempt being attacking her as she bathes?

It's still "Draw Harley Quinn naked, offing herself" without being all suicide-y.
I've skipped a few posts, but I'm also wondering why very few people are commenting on the fact that the fourth panel description...doesn't mention water in the tub. I saw it mentioned in the OT forum thread about this and I for one think it's a hilarious take on it.