Dream Games

ApathyTrigger

Jul 15, 2009
This is a thread to share those dream games that you find yourself thinking about and lament that they will probably never be made, and then cry yourself to sleep about them nightly....or you know, something similar.

Anyway to start things off, my game is very roguelike inspired. A Dungeon crawler, with a central hub town connected to a deep, randomized, underground dungeon that the player tries to make it further and further into with every attempt for better loot and eventually to find the final floor. Basically if anyone has played Azure Dreams or similar games, they know what I'm talking about.

I know what you're thinking "uh there are tons of those, your dreams, are bad." Where this game would set itself apart would be its use of Mech suits that the main characters would pilot into the dungeon. I think mech based RPGs are a criminally underused concept in games, the only series I can think of that has used it to nearly perfection is the Front Mission series, (we do not speak of the abomination that was recently brought to us...). I personally just love the idea of diving into a dungeon and coming back out with various parts to customise my team of mechs with different weapons, parts, upgrades, maybe even rockets and ammo.

I've even written some very basic plot outlines while bored on my lunch at at work, but I shan't bore you with those. So how about you guys? Do you have any games you've thought of that if brought to life your gaming life would feel complete?

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Swear I've seen a few of these threads in the past couple weeks... *shrug* Think I'll actually post this time... ¬_¬

OT: My 'dream game' changes depending on what I'm interested in at the time. At the moment, I'm hoping it'll be an expansion on the upcoming R2:TW (campaigns of Hannibal & Scipio, both in the strat map mode and a series of unlockable battles, four or five for each commander and Zama playable as either side... oh, and the name dropping is giving me a hard-on).

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
A pokemon game in third person so it actually plays like the anime led you to believe :L

OrpheusTelos

Mar 24, 2012
A Final Fantasy that plays like a real JRPG, instead of poorly implementing WRPG traits into it. Seriously, you're the series that inspired much of this wonderful genre. Be proud of your heritage! It's the only reason anyone likes you today!

Kidding aside, I would like to see a turn-based RPG with today's visual caliber, a la Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon except multiplat, so that more people can enjoy them.

Persona 5?

Atrocious Joystick

May 5, 2011
I'd like to see a game like spore, but much more in depth. And you don't get to create a creature, except for the bare bones. Your animal would change depending on what environment you chose to live in and what predators and prey you share an ecosystem with. Eventually you would settle down and develop a civilization, and you get to guide it through crisis, war, peace, politics, the whole shebang. You would guide your tribe from primitive hunter-gatherers to modern societies and even future ones. Dealing with a variety of changing problems along the way, from simple survival, to more traditional war and diplomacy, all the way to space race, climate change and the threat of nuclear armageddon.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Luckily one of my dream games is actually getting made, even though I was sure it wasn't possible. I always wanted a big open world driving game with decent simulation physics, car customisation and online free-roam. Then Forza Horizon happened. Rumours of it had been around for quite a while before the game was announced, but I always dismissed them as just wishful thinking and unfounded conjecture, but I was astonished to find I was wrong.

I've also always wanted a big open RPG like Elder Scrolls with combat like DMC in it. I love the freedom of combat in games like DMC. It's so fast and fluid, and you have so many tools at your disposal. You can pretty much do anything to control a fight and be generally bad-ass. One of the very few genres in which combat really feels free, unlike most games where you are fairly limited in comparison.

I hoped KoA: Reckoning would have at least some of that but it didn't fully deliver. It kind of did have some elements of it though. It has a small range of combos, but a fairly wide variety of tools to fight with. You can switch between weapons etc. on the fly though, which is pretty cool. But no particular method of fighting has much depth in itself, and you can't break your own combos. That's something that's really annoying. Also dodging/teleporting always seems to have a slight delay on it. You can never seem to get out of the way in time. Blocking is much more effective, but I've always preferred dodging in games.

Maybe Darksiders 2 will help to scratch that itch. Although the game is supposed to be an action adventure game, it has towns full of quest givers, skill upgrades and loots of loot, so it's got a lot of RPG elements. I think it may even be closer to an RPG than an action adventure game, but we'll see when it comes out. The combat system in the first game felt really good, but it still wasn't as deep as something out of DMC. Yet it was very fast and responsive, and when you got the hang of it it really made you feel like an unstoppable vortex of pain and death. I think in the sequel it's got even more too it.

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
That remake of FFVII would be nice other than that I would love to see a FF beat em up either like Dissidia Duodecim but vastly expanded and on PS3/360/anything not handheld or like the upcoming Persona 4 Arena. Other than that theres Darkstalkers 4 which I am hoping they are making (but doubtful) a new Valkyria Chronicles game on PS3 oh and the longest journey 3.

My true dream game would be something like better than life from Red Dwarf that would be awesome but I think if it ever does get made I will be dead by a few thousand years.

Mouse One

Jan 22, 2011
Openworld Steampunk RPG with production qualities like Skyrim. Not just some gears slapped onto a generic RPG, though. I want trade routes in the sky, warring nations with mechanized armor and aircraft, and let's not forget the obligatory upper crust intrigue.

Goggles optional.

In the meantime, I'm waiting for Bioshock Infinite.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
sci fi with a great sotry, charachters I care about and a felmale protagonist

hence why I like Mass effect as much as I do

OrenjiJusu

Mar 24, 2009
Fallout: Fallen England.

A Fallout game, set in post-apocalyptic England. Think about it, you could have Burbury clad raiders chasing you with cries of "You wot mate?!?" and "Shank 'im lads, Innit?", while desperately trying to hold onto a 200 year old box of Findus crispy pancakes, beating away mutated yorkshire terriers with a cricket bat.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Mouse One said:
Openworld Steampunk RPG with production qualities like Skyrim. Not just some gears slapped onto a generic RPG, though. I want trade routes in the sky, warring nations with mechanized armor and aircraft, and let's not forget the obligatory upper crust intrigue.

Goggles optional.

In the meantime, I'm waiting for Bioshock Infinite.
This, except add in magical elements, and possibly some friction in between those who favour technology, and those who favour magic. I guess, from what I've heard of it, I'm kinda asking for a full 3d "arcanum: Of steamworks and Magick obscura". Damn I gotta get round to playing that.

As for me, THE zombie game. The one. The one that's scary, entertaining, heartbreaking and in depth.

It must have a few crucial things.

Emotion: It must be scary and, in a way, depressing. Dystopian. You must feel for the characters, and you must find it hard to kill them should you have to. Every zombie must pose a threat, and groups must be a terrifying prospect. It should show the dark side of humanity as well, but not in a way that's cliche or one dimensional.

Choice: It may not have to be open world, but there must be a level of choice. There's something about making your own plan to escape the horde that has always enthralled zombie fans, it is vital that this game includes the ability to do that to some level.

Infectious-ness: This is a little harder to explain. I'd really like a zombie game to make the zombie virus feel like a virus. In most zombie games, you get splattered with blood a lot, and you just laugh it off. Maybe you're immune, maybe the game forgot about the virus being a virus. I want the very thought of touching these things to be scary. The game must acknowledge both zombies themselves and their blood and bodies to be biohazardous. How to do this, I don't know. Perhaps replace the health with a biohazard suit. The less well you maintain the suit, repairing attacked areas, the more chance there is of a fatal bite or blood splatter.

The zombie design would have to go with this too. Just look at the infected in 28 days/weeks later. The things ooze biohazard. They're bleeding from every orifice, and vomit the stuff too. They aren't just enemies, they're sick enemies, and every step they get closer to you increases your chances of having 30-60 seconds of nice thoughts before becoming permanently enraged.

That's another thing. Infection should be fast, as to never make you feel too safe. Your NPC teammate could get a bite, and turn before he's even able to warn anyone.

eimatshya

Nov 20, 2011
I'd like to see more story-based, western-style fantasy RPGs set in non-western settings. Besides Jade Empire, I can't really think of any.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Uh... Your dream game sounds a lot like GearHead, OP. Maybe you've already played this, and for some reason it's not for you, but I'll leave the link just in case: http://www.gearheadrpg.com/

As for my dream game... Hm... I'm not sure. Since you've got me thinking about mechs, perhaps an open world mmorpg in which players all belong to different factions vying for control of the planet in the not-too-distant future. You'd have to design, maintain and upgrade your own mech using the resources granted to you by your faction, and you (and other members) would be sent off on missions against other factions to gain/retain control of resources. The factions would all consist entirely of players, and the inter and intra faction politics would be a key part of the gameplay. (Also the game comes with some kind of unbreakable DRM which only prevents hackers, griefers and other undesirables from playing, as without such a feature the whole system would probably just fall apart...)

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
I really want a sandbox samurai rpg game, with all the factions, wars, going on in japan there is tons of material to use, tons of mythology, or tons of historical stuff depending on what slant you wanted to give the game. And when have we ever seen a sandbox rpg in that setting at all? wandering around japan, boating from island to island. think if done well it could be an amazing game.

been wanting a shadowrun rpg for years, but guess they finally making that stuff, so in that case i hope they make some really really good shadowrun games. else the wait will be so much of a fail that i just give up :p.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Another NiGHTS game, with decent voice acting and an epic story. Then I could die happy.

Off topic: Capatcha, I think we need to talk.

*sigh* remember the good ol' days, when all you had to do was type in a funny looking word?

Khazoth

Sep 4, 2008
A third person game set in a cyberpunk city based on parkour. You'd be a leader of a local resistance cell to the corporation run local police. You'd be free to explore the open city and kit yourself out weapons, or customize your avatar at clothing stores, or even spend your money on upgrading your base of operations and troops. Depending on how poorly or well you've outfitted your base and troops would impact your ending.

An open world Shadowrun RPG.

An in depth space oriented game where you could make any sort of character you want and do anything you want. Smuggle, slave trade, join the military of various factions, build an armada, conquer planets, etc.