"Dream of the Sky"

UBERfionn

Jun 7, 2010
That seemed like someone implying that Gordan Freeman saved my Life wasn't(read isn't) a totally awesome song. I still have it in my music rotation.

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
Christ, that's a lot of layers.

Then again, if I remember correctly, you've cited Devin Townsend as an influence, so this was not that surprising.

And, while I have admittedly not listened to the song yet, I shall do so first thing next morning, when I've lost this sleep deprivation I'm in right now. Looking forward to it!

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Woo-hoo! Encore is back!

Love this article. Lots of info on the making and meaning of the song, tidbits on the Irish, snarky replies to people's stupid questions/remarks, and a snapshot that looks like Skittles are all over the place.

And I say, do an Encore for all the songs, not just the immediately popular ones. Hell, shedding some backing light on them may get people to give 'em another go, and maybe like them a bit more.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Man, some of those comments...

Well, I love the crap out of Dream of the Sky. The "You built up your heaven // On the back of hell" lines give me the chills. :3

OneOfTheMichael's

Jul 26, 2010
best one yet! I very much enjoyed the different types of music that were met in this as well as the feeling of the whole game you managed to bring into this. I saw someone compare this to "Bioshock Rhapsody", and I feel inclined to agree with him. Good job, looking forward to the next one.

ClockworkSailor

Aug 29, 2011
Gavin great song and thanks for the background info on its production, got to respect the loving effort you put into the song. Off topic question though about on of your other songs (this is an Encore thread after all) in the song City of Night is the lyric "Just a number writing solo in the code" or "in the cold" because it completely changes my perception of the song from awesome AI write music in a Cyberspace nightmare to awesome man writing music in a city against all odds. On topic I would be willing to bad things to a lot publisher's kneecaps to get a badass Irish setting game just to get a full song of you singing Irish traditional or nautical like

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
For the forced bit, I'm not exactly sure where the original author was coming from. But I can give my own opinion on it. Hearing a song such as this suddenly shift so much into another song can be somewhat jarring. What set the first half or so apart was the fact they were unique. But being thrust into a song your fans know could be less easy to accept. It can make one feel like it's a cheap cop-out, or that it just didn't belong in the song.
The same could be said about the way the game ended itself.
To many, it could just feel out of place though.

Personally, I enjoyed it at the end. So I don't speak for myself with those thoughts. The first time I heard it, I'll admit it just seemed like a somewhat cheap call-back. Like a 'hey, I know this song. I liked this song! So I like the current song too!' moment. But the more I listened to it, the better it fit in the overall scheme of the song.

I will say that I didn't get the vibe from the musical transitions that they were 'tears.' They didn't bother me (I actually enjoyed the shifts), but I didn't really feel like they were a tear I was stepping through. More that they were just pieces of Columbia itself, for it's better and worse parts, brought together into one grand whole.

Other than that, I'm not sure what I can add. I did enjoy the song. Though I've liked pretty much all of your recent music. It seems to me you've only been getting better. Level 3 is my favorite so far, with only a couple songs I didn't care for due to personal taste. Keep at it. :)

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
"I'm going to kick your ass, Solo."

"I know."
Out of context that would look like it was meant for me. So I will just assume it was. YAY! I was mentioned!

And yeah This song is fantastic. But I still love Calamity more.

Riddle78

Jan 19, 2010
I'll be honest. This song flew past my radar because I was without internet for a few months,due to idiot flatmates. This was my first time hearing it. And you know what? An eargasm or ten was had when you started the sendoff. Gav,you amaze me each and every time. While I may not like your through-and-through metal stuff like Binary Divide(personal preference,no changing that),literally ALL of your other material is pure platinum. And that's underselling it. Seriously,you could make a mint with this stuff if you were a greedy,heartless,money grubbing bastard.

We're glad you freely post your stuff on the internet,but you seriously can't say you're not tempted to cash your talent in at the mint.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
Did you really get that "bad Irish accent" one? That's hilarious XD

Glad to see encore making a comeback. I wondered where it went. I love readings these, very inciteful.

Also, I knew when I saw twitter late (like I am for everything) that I missed my chance to ask a question for this. :(

proctorninja2

a single man with a sword
Jun 5, 2010
Imp Emissary said:
Good to have another Encore. It HAS been too long.

As for the comments you picked, what the hell is the "FAKE" one suppose to mean?

Do they think your song is suppose to be from the game, or that you didn't make it or........Ugh.
x( I'm wasting my time trying to think of what someone who was NOT thinking was thinking of, aren't I?

:D At any rate, well done!
Encore! Encore!
This is not a song its a sandwich! its really just a hogie in disguise

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
ClockworkSailor said:
in the song City of Night is the lyric "Just a number writing solo in the code" or "in the cold"
It's 'code' :)

jurnag12 said:
Christ, that's a lot of layers.

Then again, if I remember correctly, you've cited Devin Townsend as an influence, so this was not that surprising.
Yep. Which also makes the 'jarring' shifts between style mid-song feel completely normal to me too!

Panorama

Carry on Jeeves
Dec 7, 2010
Yeah more encore! If you have the time i am always happy to read more of your columns. It is something i will never be able to do myself so it gives me even more interest to know a little more. pretty much the same reason i like reel physic.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
"Fake"

That is one universal statement.. What is fake?

Is it the music? The game? The video? Gav himself perhaps?

Maybe the entire universe is fake, and this is the only person who was aware and he was about to say but then the government came and shot him! With his dying breath he clicked that "Enter" just for our sake Gav, and you ridiculed him. Shame on you. >_<

Oh and I'd like more regular ones, yes. Encore is always a joy to read.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
T0ad 0f Truth said:
MiracleOfSound said:
ClockworkSailor said:
in the song City of Night is the lyric "Just a number writing solo in the code" or "in the cold"
Wait It's writing in the code? Not Riding?
It's 'I'm just a number riding solo in the code'

It's a binary metaphor for being a rebel :)

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
MiracleOfSound said:
T0ad 0f Truth said:
MiracleOfSound said:
ClockworkSailor said:
Wait It's writing in the code? Not Riding?
It's 'I'm just a number riding solo in the code'

It's a binary metaphor for being a rebel :)
When you didn't correct "writing" I thought I'd been hearing it wrong XD

It's one of my favorite lines in your songs. It's like metalhead pythagoreanism.

Very neat philosophically. Just a fun way to interpret it in my opinion :D

ClockworkSailor

Aug 29, 2011
MiracleOfSound said:
ClockworkSailor said:
Thanks you for clearing that up I really appreciate that. Actually if its not too much trouble and too much of a derail I would really love to know more about that song, as far as what you drew on for inspiration and such. I spend an inordinate amount of time listening to it and am curious, considering that is one of the few non-game/movie inspired pieces that you have gifted us with.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
ClockworkSailor said:
MiracleOfSound said:
ClockworkSailor said:
Thanks you for clearing that up I really appreciate that. Actually if its not too much trouble and too much of a derail I would really love to know more about that song, as far as what you drew on for inspiration and such. I spend an inordinate amount of time listening to it and am curious, considering that is one of the few non-game/movie inspired pieces that you have gifted us with.
I made it after seeing the trailer for Cyberpunk 2077 :) It's just a generally very cyber-rebel type theme. Standing from the crowd in a mechanical, clone-like world

Whytewulf

Dec 20, 2009
Reeve said:
The call back to Little Sister is the best bit of the song!
Yes I have only bought two of his songs, with LIttle Sister being played over and over on my playlists.. now I think I will add 3.