Dreamfall Chapters is In Development

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Dreamfall Chapters is In Development

Funcom confirms that the long-awaited third installment in The Longest Journey series is on the way.

For many, the first thought that came to mind every time Ragnar Tørnquist talked about his work on The Secret World was "where the hell is my sequel to Dreamfall: The Longest Journey, Ragnar? Ragnar. Where is it? Ragnar. Ragnar."

Red Thread Games just announced that Dreamfall Chapters, an episodic follow up that was announced back in 2007 has finally entered pre-production. The new studio, founded by Tørnquist now the bulk of his work on The Secret World is complete, licensed the rights to the series from ailing MMO developer, Funcom. Tørnquist will continue to act as creative director of The Secret World, albeit in an advisory role.

Dreamfall Chapters will be independently funded and produced by Red Thread games, but the licensing deal with Funcom does involve a revenue share agreement.

The Longest Journey series started in 1999 with the game of the same name. While it's never quite reached the same legendary status as say, any of Sierra's Quest Games or Lucas Arts' big hits, it's still considered one of the best examples of the point-and-click genre. Dreamfall, its bigger, more ambitious sequel, didn't achieve quite the same level of critical success, mostly due to the inclusion of some stodgy action/stealth mechanics. Still, the game's gentle charm and Tørnquist's excellent writing was enough to suck in a respectable fan base; A fan base that was not impressed when the game ended on a blood clot-inducing cliffhanger. Chapters was announced shortly after, but the game has been bouncing around development limbo until now.

"I'm very excited to finally have the opportunity to continue the 'The Longest Journey' saga," says Tørnquist. "Ever since we ended 'Dreamfall' on a nail-biting cliffhanger, players have been rightfully demanding a sequel, and my deal with Funcom will finally make that possible. I'm extremely grateful to Funcom for this unique and exciting opportunity, and I can't wait to dive back into the universe I helped create more than a decade ago, and continue the story players have been waiting for these past six years."

Source: Funcom [http://www.funcom.com/news/pre_production_begins_on_new_game_in_the_longest_journey_saga]

ThisAccountIsClosed

Jan 31, 2012
I'm glad this is finally happening. Dreamfall's horrid cliffhanger ending was quite the burn after waiting so long for a TLJ sequel. Being told we then had to wait until after TSW was completed before work would even start on Dreamfall Chapters was salt on my wounds. This was, and yet remains, my favorite adventure series. Can't wait to see what he does with it...

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
About bleeding time and Failcom not being directly involved is probably for the best. I just hope they cut the fight scenes in this one or implement them differently

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
OMG!!!! I think I just had an embolism of joy. I need a marine "It's about time" pic here but I'm just too jittery to go looking for it.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Maybe now we'll finally learn if the dreamcore was a virtual reality machine or a portal to another world.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Yeah it's about bloody time! Despite ending on a major cliffhanger Dreamfall still had an amazing ending in regards to the other characters. And actually there wouldn't be anything wrong with the cliffhanger itself, a perfectly reasonable tactic for the second episode of a trilogy (Empire Strikes Back being the obvious example), rather the bad part is making us wait so long after it.

I also gotta say that I was never a fan of the old point & click adventure game, I've always been more into the RPG's. I know the design changes making Dreamfall a hybrid adventure game compared to the more traditional adventure game that was The Longest Journey but personally I really liked the changes. Thought it made for a much more enjoyable game, one you didn't need to have an FAQ on hand for the entire time.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
The reason the Dreamfall sequel took so long is that the developers kept waking up.
think about it
I'm surprised that you didn't go for "well, they did call it the LONGEST journey"

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
Gadzooks! Episode 7 (without Lucas) and a continuation of Longest Journey/Dreamfall announced in a single week!?! Christmas came early this year.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
Go ahead and put me on probation Escapist.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
weirdguy said:
DVS BSTrD said:
The reason the Dreamfall sequel took so long is that the developers kept waking up.
think about it
I'm surprised that you didn't go for "well, they did call it the LONGEST journey"
Oh you two :3

No but seriously, dafuq. Biggest plot hanger -EVER-

What a *****! Have an awesome relationship, and then one days, breaks up and leaves the country without saying a word.

Err..wait

don't read into this too much gais >_>

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Oh ho, look who came crawling back after their MMO jaunt didn't turn out as expected.

Hunter.Wolf

Jan 13, 2010
Hell, it's about time ... i almost gave up on this one XD

Special mention for the music and the whole soundtrack from Dreamfall .. best OST in any point-&-click adventure game to date and one of the best games OSTs.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
Well, I just spat my juice everywhere. My god does this make my day. Finally, we're getting answers to those cliffhangers! I thought this day would never come.

...now I need to go clean up.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
I guess this is good news. Whilst I thought the Longest Journey was an obnoxiously terrible game, I know this news will please plenty in the adventure gaming community.

Gather

Apr 9, 2009
For many, the first thought that came to mind every time Ragnar Tørnquist talked about his work on The Secret World was "where the hell is my sequel to Dreamfall: The Longest Journey, Ragnar? Ragnar. Where is it? Ragnar. Ragnar."
Oh you, Escapist. You know me too well.

Plus, it's party time.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

...Sorry, I just had a joy-stroke. Both games are excellent, and I can't WAIT for a bleeding answer to the ending of Dreamfall.