DreamHack CEO Departs Company With Inflammatory Tweet

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
nightmare_gorilla said:
does twitter like poke you in the eye everytime you open it up? seriously i'm as offended as the next guy by some of the ignorant and hateful things being said on twitter lately but i'm starting to wonder if it has more to do with the service itself I mean holy crap people just go crazy when tweeting it seems.
My guess is that it's a combination of two things: social networking's seemingly-inherent ability to bring out the worst in people due to the lack of face-to-face interaction creating a degree of separation that leads to a false sense of security, and the incredibly short 140-character limit that lends itself best to short, emotional, non-nuanced, and overall blunt comments that lack the proper explanatory power needed for a sufficiently detailed post and makes a proper discussion essentially impossible.

In other words, combine the Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory with a hyper-small character limit and wala! You have the perfect recipe for stupid, inflammatory comments and shitstorms aplenty.

Gali

Nov 19, 2009
Actually, there could be more to it than his attitude. The way Ohlen became CEO sounds quite shady too. I don't speak Swedish so I don't know if this translation is correct. http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/starcraft-2/469916-robert-ohlen-removed-as-dreamhack-ceo?page=13#260

All I can say is that I hope Dreamhack will continue more or less the same under the new CEO. I really like their online production as well as attending their events in person (watching SC2 and CS:GO in Stockholm Globe Arenas was awesome!).

Also, while I appreciate more eSports news on the Escapist, I'm not sure such kind of news makes sense here. This is basically insider drama. Especially since there are no concrete details besides "#GG has nothing to do with it!". For most, this is only another "(barely famous) person says shit on Twitter"-story. Even people who follow eSports don't really know Dreamhack or care - depending on which game they follow and where they live. Today, DH is only really important for Starcraft and Counter-Strike fans. Dota... maybe too. But as far as I understand, their Dreamleague stuff was a disaster.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Baresark said:
Nothing but good happens on Twitter. This only serves to confirm it.
Fixed that for ya. I hope that people will never stop making total asses of themselves in public, especially those in high places. :D

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
From Hell's heart, he stabs at us!

While I appreciate that being fired might leave you feeling a trifle miffed, try to take it with some dignity. Still, thank feth *I* don't go on social media, that way the Escapist can never ban me over all the awful things I say about it. Heh heh heh, suckers!

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Fired from the organisation he helped create. He's one of the greats in bringing us more esports. It's no wonder he's upset.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Barbas said:
Shamanic Rhythm said:
"a pox on all [you are] houses"

I'm amused to learn that being called a house is considered inflammatory. Mercutio you are not, ex-CEO.
Seconded. If you're going to depart with a statement of condemnation and a well-known quote, at least don't half-arse it and botch the spelling. People will start asking how you got the job of CEO in the first place.

I already asked myself that a few times after my improper-use-of-word-alert went off. Also, who the fuck is DreamHack and why the hell should I care?
If I haven't heard of a company, maybe that explains also why their former CEO has no clue the proper contraction to use...
I think it's, uh...they do a, um...the...what the hell even do they do? I've heard of them a few times, but I've no idea. I think it has something to do with gaming conventions or E-sports or cosplay or something. Maybe all three?

Eh, I'll think about this one in more detail over lunch. Looks like it's going to be a haggis day!

Obama's Dad 420

Oct 2, 2014
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Barbas said:
Shamanic Rhythm said:

I'm amused to learn that being called a house is considered inflammatory. Mercutio you are not, ex-CEO.
Seconded. If you're going to depart with a statement of condemnation and a well-known quote, at least don't half-arse it and botch the spelling. People will start asking how you got the job of CEO in the first place.

I already asked myself that a few times after my improper-use-of-word-alert went off. Also, who the fuck is DreamHack and why the hell should I care?
If I haven't heard of a company, maybe that explains also why their former CEO has no clue the proper contraction to use...
Hmmm....this is very interesting...

I have a theory that might interest you all. Now, this might sound a little crazy at first, but just bare with me. I think that, maybe, he does know that "you're" isn't the possessive form. It seems to me that this could be some sort of typo or mistake. It's just a possibility though. We'll never really know if he doesn't know the difference between "your" and "you're". If he doesn't, then he is the biggest idiot on the planet, though.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
On CEO level there is far more going on that just being lazy or incompetent. it could very well that he was removed because he didnt conform to some silent investor. so far we got no idea why he was fired in such a haste and all we got is a very mild twitter rant.

Obama said:
I have a theory that might interest you all. Now, this might sound a little crazy at first, but just bare with me. I think that, maybe, he does know that "you're" isn't the possessive form. It seems to me that this could be some sort of typo or mistake. It's just a possibility though. We'll never really know if he doesn't know the difference between "your" and "you're". If he doesn't, then he is the biggest idiot on the planet, though.
Hes Swedish, so not a native speaker. as a non-native speaker at least me personally do accidentally mix the two up when typing even though i do know the difference. maybe it was just an accident.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
That's stupid. But is it news? When are we going to stop reporting about what stupid people say on a stupid medium?

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
uncanny474 said:
At least he didn't threaten to kill anyone. As far as twitter rants go, this is incredibly mild.
What I thought tbh, it's only a minor whinge. Almost funny in its petulance.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Twitter is a boon to recruitment departments. Long may it exist as a sword for fools to impale themselves on!

Martin Agnas

May 2, 2011
It's speculated that he got fired for saying some really nasty things about sweden's third largest party (Homofobia Racism) among other things on twitter

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
I'm impressed with how he was able to go from furious to nerdy in less than 140 characters.

TitanAtlas

Oct 14, 2010
It's kinda screwed up, when all your work, and all your sacrifice, goes with you, has you get kicked in the ass out from the door.

To be honest this looks like a final regard, other then anything else... If this is venting i'm appauled by the lack of offensive words. I would be all Conan the Barbarian up on them.

It's sad he lost his job, even if i'm oblivious to the reasons, i will say, i have seen stronger man, reacting to such events much worse then this.

GL Mr.Robert.

Somethingfake

Oct 22, 2008
Barbas said:
Shamanic Rhythm said:

He got the grammar wrong, not the spelling ;)

Anyway, dream...hack? Never heard of 'em. Not a good way to have attention drawn to them.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Somethingfake said:
Barbas said:
Shamanic Rhythm said:

He got the grammar wrong, not the spelling ;)

Anyway, dream...hack? Never heard of 'em. Not a good way to have attention drawn to them.
Grammar, spelling and punctuation, looks like. I know it's only Twitter, but he was a CEO. Strewth.