Dreaming about places that don't exist and you've never been to.

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
Throughout my life, I've always had dreams of places that don't exist. Usually it's just another room or another section of my house that isn't really there. Sometimes, it's an amusement park, but it's also been a town, a mall a playground, a zoo, and (hilariously) Jurassic Park. Whenever I dream about these places, I have a severe feeling of Nostalgia, my "dream" me knows them and sometimes misses them, or is just happy to be there, or just comments on them. (Unless it's Jurassic Park, then he's just freaked.)

Now, I've often thought that in times where I'm depressed or unhappy, my mind conjures up these places in my sleep to give me peace or something. But, they've happened in peaceful times and I usually awake kind of sad that those places don't really exist, and sometimes I almost think that I've seen a real place or that there is someplace that my brain is remembering and substituting the fake places for.

What I find interesting is that my friends have had similar dreams, but only either after meeting me, or when they're around me. My roomates never dreamed about stuff like that until after they moved in, and my other friends had dreams like that after meeting me. I never told them about the dreams either, and they're like "wow, I had a wierd dream about a room in this house that isn't there." But most interesting to me is that my grandfather had an entire town, called "Quay" that he dreamed about. It doesn't exist,and he's never been there, but he said if it were real that he'd know it when he saw it. My dad only had dreams about a street, I think, but not that often.

So, what do you think it is? Strange memories passed down through genes, distorted by our brains to be different places? Places that I've seen and just got muddled by my subconcious? A tumor? Also, have any of you ever had any dreams like these?

Estocavio

Aug 5, 2009
Its just a dream dude - Ever used your imagination while your awake to visualise a place?
Same sorta thing, only in... 'FullScreen'.
Everyone dreams differently, and from what ive seen, this is somewhat common...

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
Definitely a tumor.

No, but really? You've just got a good imagination. It's a bonus - makes your dreams more interesting.

Mine are usually just filled with cake or naked women. Or naked women with cake.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
I had a dream I was at a really beautiful place, the air was fresh and there was a nice breeze. It was quite cold but lovely, the scenery was beautiful and the mountains were white and silver, it looked like everything was made of ice.

I think I'm just trying to escape from everything, I've been hating my dreams recently.

Wakkadude21

Apr 20, 2009
I had a dream city. There was a building that had a school on the lower two or three floors, and the upper two were a mall. It was amazing. Then I started having dreams of zombies invading. Now I don't dream anymore. Sigh.

Kasawd

Jun 1, 2009
I have a recurring dream.

I'm exploring a brightly lit house. The walls are trimmed with white and painted robin eggshell blue. The floors are dark oak and the windows are crafted. One thing, though.

The house is empty.

Always, always would I explore it with a sense of foreboding, of fear. Something drove me to look through the house and find its secret. Every time I dreamt of it, I would get a little farther in, a little further down those lovely hallways and decorative parlours. I would wake up before I reached my goal. Were I to leave the house, I would be brought back into it after ten seconds time. The air was so fresh and enticing. But it was wrong, people. I can't get across to you the feeling of dread this place conveyed upon me. Twinkling chimes, birds, warm air and cooked food were sensations in the house.

I'm done with those dreams now, guys.

I found what I was meant to find.

The last time I dreamed about the house, something was altered. There was no fear in me, anymore. It was welcoming me into it instead of grudging my presence. I forayed into the basement and found what I was looking for.

Corpses, strung up on the cemented, blood splattered walls. Wet pools of miscellaneous offal collected below dismembered bodies and twisted faces. The acts of horror imposed on these people were amazingly complex.

I loved it. I reveled in it. I had finally reached my goal after so long. Psychologically, I can only makes guesses at what it means. I believe it was me coming to terms with my deviancy, though.

True story, guys, really.

Sonofadiddly

Dec 19, 2009
I like it when I have multiple dreams in the same fictional place, and in my dream I begin to feel that the place is familiar somehow, and then I realize that I've only been there in another dream. Trippy.

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
FanofDeath said:
Freaky Snip.
...Wow, thats creepy! My Jurassic Park dreams could probably be another subject, as they're different then these "places that aren't really there" dreams. Also, it usually involves fighting the dinosaurs, sometimes with super powers, but usually it's freaky as crap.

Sonofadiddly said:
I like it when I have multiple dreams in the same fictional place, and in my dream I begin to feel that the place is familiar somehow, and then I realize that I've only been there in another dream. Trippy.
Yeah now once I dreamed of a ghost town and it was really wierd, cause there were actual ghosts. A few weeks later, I dreamed of the same place and realized in my dream that I'd "been there" before. I woke up afterwards and it was sort of cool.

Aurora219 said:
Definitely a tumor.

No, but really? You've just got a good imagination. It's a bonus - makes your dreams more interesting.

Mine are usually just filled with cake or naked women. Or naked women with cake.
Well I do have a good imagination, apparently, and I can day dream in the same fashion. But these are just randomly made up places with full backstories that in my dreams I've been too before. I can daydream all day long or dream about other places, but none of them ever have the depth that these dreams do, nor do I awake with such a sad feeling (almost like nostalgia for a place that doesn't exist.)

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
Vohn_exel said:
Heavy Snip
I know what you mean.

A few nights ago I had a succession of dreams. All I remember was that there were three of them, and that I woke up briefly in between each. But all three of them seemed like decent stories unto themselves and I really want to remember them now!

I dream best when I'm utterly exhausted. Like now. I've been up for about 18 hours.

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
Aurora219 said:
Vohn_exel said:
Heavy Snip
I know what you mean.

A few nights ago I had a succession of dreams. All I remember was that there were three of them, and that I woke up briefly in between each. But all three of them seemed like decent stories unto themselves and I really want to remember them now!

I dream best when I'm utterly exhausted. Like now. I've been up for about 18 hours.
I have to be careful what experiences I have before I go to bed. I can't read a book directly before bed and sleep well, much less expect not to have any crazy dreams. The Jurassic Park dreams are close to the only nightmares I have, and they're the only "recurring" dreams I ever have. Only once was it something different, and then for some reason it was gorilla's, but basically the same set up.