Dreamworks vs Pixar!

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
I know it's not the first time this has been discussed on this board, but FUCK IT, let's go again!

Dreamworks and Pixar are both excellent animation studios. Both of them combined are probably the biggest reason animation is considered a valid, respected film medium for ALL ages (at least, by people who aren't film snobs). I love them both... but I love Dreamworks more.

Why? Well, it has to do with the way each studio tells stories. If I had to break it down, I'd simply put it as this:

Pixar sets scenes better, Dreamworks tells better stories.

What do I mean by this? Well, think of how most of Pixar's most notable movies open. Toy Story, Up, Wall-E; pretty much Pixar's most famous films, or at least most noteworthy. Each of them opens with scenes, with little to no dialogue, perfectly encapsulating the setting of the story and making the plot that follows. All great, totally succeeding at drawing us in to the film's world. But their plots are just... simple. Simple isn't necessarily bad, in fact it's often very good, but it's limiting. There's not much more you can draw from a simple plot beyond basic emotional responses. Toy feels abandoned, finds out he's still loved, yay happy. Robot is alone, meets girl, loses girl, gets girl back, yay happy. Old man is alone and depressed, goes on adventure, learns to be happy again, yay happy. Again, those are all fine character plots, but they're simple in a way that makes them unrelatable. It's just characters in shit situations becoming happy at the end. It's childish, in that it's a story MEANT for children. That's fine, as they're the target audience, and they succeed at appealing to many adult's inner child as well. But they don't really provoke any thought, just "awwww"s and "yaaaaaay"s.

Meanwhile, in Dreamworks' most notable current series, Kung Fu Panda and How to Train Your Dragon, the stories appeal to children on a base level (yay! Funny animals! Yay! Dragons!) but the stories involve much more relatable themes for adults, both culturally and personally. Things like self-loathing and acceptance, responsibility, bias, inner peace, idealism. Even Shrek and Madagascar deal with typically adult issues, though Madagascar I think less so.

There are exceptions, of course. Finding Nemo is mostly about a father's loss of his child and how he deals with it. A Bug's Life is about standing up to bullies, a typical lesson for children, but still relatable to adults. And my favorite Pixar movie, The Incredibles, is a VERY adult-oriented film dressed up for the kiddies. Really though, the Incredibles is probably the only TRUE exception, as both Finding Nemo and A Bug's Life still deal with fairly simple, if relatable, issues.

The point I'm trying to make is that most of Pixar's characters don't feel like people to me, they feel like children, even if they don't look like children (or humans). I know children are technically people, but I mean people in the sense of a fully-actualized person. Dreamworks' characters are mostly adults, at the very least teenagers, and they FEEL like adults. They have depth, layers even, to use the Shrek quote.

Pixar's first project was a short film about a lamp playing with a ball. That lamp, with it's simple personality traits and child-like squeaks, represents much of what Pixar has done since to me. Dreamworks' first projects were Antz and the Prince of Egypt (released just a couple months apart), one film dealing with social hierarchy and a fascist military coup, the other dealing with a conflict between brothers and of course God and faith. That's a bit more complicated than an anthropomorphized desk lamp.

Anyway these are of course my opinions and analyses, nothing more. I won't say I wrote all this because I was bored, because if I was bored I could have easily found something else to do. Hell, I actually wrote most of it already once before, but my computer crashed before I could post it. I wrote it because I love talking about this stuff, so please tell me what you think about it.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
You know what? I think the two studios have changed a lot over the last view years. Heck the mainstream animation market has changed with new competitors like Illumination Entertainment.

That being said I love both studios a lot but Pixar is still my favorite. I think most computer animated films try to deal with adult themes in one way or another but I incidentally I think Pixar does the better job telling about stories that adults can relate to OP. I mean there are stories about letting go of your Childern when they are old enough, environmental responsibility, and making a life for yourself after someone important to you dies among other things.
I will say it is a bit refreshng though to hear someone defend Dreamworks, I think on their own merits they can produce some really good films too.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Pixar is still my favorite, despite not being what they used to. Here's how I see it: Pixar is a good stuido that sometimes makes bad films. Dreamworks is a bad studio that sometimes makes good films.

There's just less soul in Dreamworks movies. At least that's the way I feel about them.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
I enjoy watching works from both, but lets face it overall Pixar makes better movies. Sure they have a few weak ones (Cars, anything based on Cars, Brave) but overall they have good quality control. Dreamworks on the other hand makes movies that tend to be lower in quality. That's not to say they don't make good movies, they just make less of them that turn out to be good or memorable.

Kolby Jack

Apr 29, 2011
Story said:
You know what? I think the two studios have changed a lot over the last view years. Heck the mainstream animation market has changed with new competitors like Illumination Entertainment.

That being said I love both studios a lot but Pixar is still my favorite. I think most computer animated films try to deal with adult themes in one way or another but I incidentally I think Pixar does the better job telling about stories that adults can relate to OP. I mean there are stories about letting go of your Childern when they are old enough, environmental responsibility, and making a life for yourself after someone important to you dies among other things.
I will say it is a bit refreshng though to hear someone defend Dreamworks, I think on their own merits they can produce some really good films too.
I take it by "environmental responsibility" you are referring to Wall-E. I'm gonna debate you on this one. Wall-E's "message" about the environment was... not. There didn't seem to BE a message. Sure, the planet was messed up, but humanity just left and lived happily on a spaceship before they came back when things got better. So not only did humanity not suffer any consequences, they came back after a couple of generations no prob. Wall-E was about the robot romance; I felt that whatever message they were trying to make was too diluted and unfocused to really provoke any thought on the issue.

And I did give Finding Nemo some credit! I'm just saying.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Kolby Jack said:
Story said:

I take it by "environmental responsibility" you are referring to Wall-E. I'm gonna debate you on this one. Wall-E's "message" about the environment was... not. There didn't seem to BE a message. Sure, the planet was messed up, but humanity just left and lived happily on a spaceship before they came back when things got better. So not only did humanity not suffer any consequences, they came back after a couple of generations no prob. Wall-E was about the robot romance; I felt that whatever message they were trying to make was too diluted and unfocused to really provoke any thought on the issue.

And I did give Finding Nemo some credit! I'm just saying.
Eh agree to disagree. I would actually say it was more of a warning of could happen with over consumption. Personally I felt the message was still there. After a few generations of brainwashing and being in space the humans could have kept their easy going lives for an eternity but instead decided to come back because there was a small chance that Earth, their orginal home, might be saved. They were able to save it in the end credits after practicing more sustainable methods of living. That said, I do have quite a few narrative problems with Wall-E (even though it is my favorite Pixar film) as I do with Up the other picture I referenced but I like it in general because I'm an Enviornmental Studies major and I thought it was pretty touching.
At the very least the enviornmental message was much, much better than in similar films like Illumation Entertainment's The Lorax (fuck that movie).

Kolby Jack

Apr 29, 2011
Zontar said:
I enjoy watching works from both, but lets face it overall Pixar makes better movies. Sure they have a few weak ones (Cars, anything based on Cars, Brave) but overall they have good quality control. Dreamworks on the other hand makes movies that tend to be lower in quality. That's not to say they don't make good movies, they just make less of them that turn out to be good or memorable.
The last three Pixar movies released were Monsters University, Brave, and Cars 2. The three before that were Toy Story 3, Up, and Wall-E. If anything, I'd say that Pixar has slumped in quality over the last few years.

Meanwhile in the time Pixar has made those 3 films, Dreamworks produced NINE films, some of which were weak (Turbo, The Croods), but most were pretty well received, and all except Turbo have scores above 70% on Rotten Tomatoes. Kung Fu Panda 2 remains the highest grossing film ever directed by a woman, and HtTYD 2 was the highest grossing animated film of 2014.

I don't mean to come off as defensive or argumentative, and I know quantity doesn't generally win over quality, but it still counts for something. I just feel like you're giving Dreamworks perhaps too little credit. They've done some impressive things over the years.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I going with Pixar despite their current state with their film (I really hoping Inside Out will be smash hit!). At least with Pixar, I can rewatched the classic over and over while there are fewer choice of "classic" with Dreamwork to rewatched. Even then Toy Story 1-3 were still inconsistally good while Shrek 1-4 were not.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Pixar all the way. First off, I much prefer their animation style, aside from Dreamworks' severe overuse of the 'shitface smirk'-
Pixar have both higher quality animation (man, Brave is such a gorgeous film) and are better at imbuing characters with personality even before they speak. I mean, just look at Carl's face in Up. Speaking of Up, I don't really think Dreamworks are as good at giving you that [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owiKEAmwfx8] kind of emotional gut-punch; I am not ashamed to admit I cried a little had something in my eye at the end of Toy Story 3.

Besides, I know Pixar have their turkeys but they've never unleashed horrors like the Shrek and Madagascar sequels on the world.

Kolby Jack

Apr 29, 2011
TheRightToArmBears said:
Pixar all the way. First off, I much prefer their animation style, aside from Dreamworks' severe overuse of the 'shitface smirk'-
Pixar have both higher quality animation (man, Brave is such a gorgeous film) and are better at imbuing characters with personality even before they speak. I mean, just look at Carl's face in Up. Speaking of Up, I don't really think Dreamworks are as good at giving you that [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owiKEAmwfx8] kind of emotional gut-punch; I am not ashamed to admit I cried a little had something in my eye at the end of Toy Story 3.

Besides, I know Pixar have their turkeys but they've never unleashed horrors like the Shrek and Madagascar sequels on the world.
The Madagascar sequels have each gotten better reviews than the Madagascar film before it. Well, except the Penguins one, I guess.

I'll grant you that Pixar's animation has been more fluid (at least until HtTYD 2, where Dreamworks started using new, better software) but that doesn't matter as much to me. As for beauty, I think the use of lighting in both Kung Fu Panda movies (but 2 especially) was masterful, and definitely one of the highlights of the films. But again, aesthetics are pretty subjective. There's not much to be gained by arguing them.

Kinokohatake

Jul 11, 2010
Pixar over Dreamworks any day. Monsters Inc over Shrek. Bugs Life over Antz. Shark Tale, Over the Hedge, Bee Movie, Monsters vs Aliens, any Shrek after the 2nd one, any Madagascar after the first one, The Croods, Rise of the Guardians, and Turbo were all awful movies. Kids movies filled with crude humor, innuendo, often times plain lazy animation, and the need to get big celebrities with no distinctive voice just to put their name on the poster. Do I care that Angelina Jolie, Will Smith, Al Pacino are talking fish? No and neither do my kids. Pixar tends to get people that are good for the part first, big name second. Imagine if Dreamworks had made Brave, Miley Cyrus as Merida. More horse fart jokes. Dreamworks is just awful.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
The Dreamworks movies always looked "cheap" in animation quality to me. I mean, take Megamind for example, nothing very spectacular about it. It looks like cheap dumb kids movie to be consumed and forgotten about. (It's not, it's actually one of my favorites)

Then take a look at the Pixar movies, and God damn you can see that Disney money. Monster's Inc you can see each individual hair on Sully or the Red Head's hair from Brave. And I don't think it's limited to Pixar, Wreck It Ralph looked amazing too. It's money.

The Pixar movies however really have hit or miss writing. For every Up or Toy Story 3 or Ratatouille, I mean movies that hit the heart strings, theres shit like Cars. Or Monster's Inc. And those aren't bad films as much as they just aren't worthy of the Pixar pedigree, I don't think.

Oh, and The Incredibles sucked. I just needed to vent that. I don't know where people get off saying it's a "Superhero film", it's more of a Spy/Adventure film that just happens to have superpowers in it.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
TheRightToArmBears said:

I kind of like the Shrek films in the sense that, well it's poking fun at fairytales, and it's sort of the Hero's journey after the happy ever after. Shrek gets the girl, but then he has get the acceptance of his inlaws, deal with the potential responsibility of fatherhood, and then fully come to terms with the choices he's made in life.

Just saying, it's not all fart jokes and pop culture references. Shrek deals with some real issues, Identity issues even (Going from being a feared "real" Ogre vs the nice guy he actually is).

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Between the two, I'd have to go with Pixar. While it's made some average films (Cars 2, Brave), I feel that of all the Pixar films I've seen, they're at least memorable, regardless of the quality. And the quality itself is definately good, IMO.

Dreamworks, not so much. They've definately made some good films (first two Shrek films, Prince of Egypt, Kung Fu Panda), but overall, they've struck me as a bit more business-focused, a bit more intent on following the crowd than doing their own thing. In many films I've seen there's been a kind of superficiality to the work, if that makes sense - more akin on making jokes and hiring celebrities than creating a good end product. It kind of shows in that Dreamworks has produced more films, with more sequels, yet Pixar's films tend to be more memorable. Perhaps the most stark contrast is Finding Nemo vs. Shark Tale. The former is a heartwarming tale of a father looking for his son, both characters developing, memorable supporting characters, and is a story that both adults and children can relate to (FN is among my top Pixar films). Shark Tale is about celebrities doing cons and...stuff happens. Yay.

I recently read an article* about how Dreamworks could go under, and to which I say, "I hope they don't." Because at the end of the day, I do want to stress that while I put Pixar on a higher pedastal, Dreamworks isn't a bad animation group, and again, have put out some good works. I think there's room for improvement, but I'm glad for its presence in the animation world. I'd like a few more How to Train Your Dragons rather than Shark Tales for instance, but I think the potential is there.

*Said article being http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/how-dreamworks-animation-can-claw-767789

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
You thought Dreamworks was more thematically complex? I would have to disagree. Dreamworks is cute, sometimes, but their plots are rather poor, and their characters are thinner then a board. Compare Wall-E with The Lorax. Sure, Wall-E was heavy handed, but it was unconventional, and blew Dreamworks out of the water. Up was far more complex then you gave it credit for, I think. I found it far more relatable to adults than anything in Dreamworks (or pixar). If you didn't, then it's because you're too young, and it wasn't aimed at the 16-20 demographic. It was relatable to children and the elderly. Just because a film isn't aimed at your demographic doesn't mean it's not relatable. Just ask my grandmother, who just lost her husband. It's a film about loss that still manages to have humor. Honestly, the only decent Dreamworks film I can think of is Shrek. Or, if you want to go REALLY far back, The Prince of Egypt, which happens to be the best film version of Exodus I've ever seen, animated OR live action.

The answer to your question is simple. Studio Ghibli.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
I hate both. However Dreamworks made Shrek, which I like, & Pixar is part of Disney, which I also hate, so Pixar is worse for me.

AliasBot

Jun 14, 2013
Both studios have made some very strong movies (for me: Incredibles, Toy Story, Monsters Inc., Finding Nemo from Pixar, HTTYD, Shrek 2, Megamind from DreamWorks), both have made some solid ones. Probably roughly equal numbers of both of those. The main difference is that Pixar has done 14 animated movies and DreamWorks has done 30 animated movies - given the same number of hits and passes, DreamWorks just has a lot more movies that don't measure up. But if they're still releasing good movies at about the same rate as Pixar (lower hit rate is balanced by higher rate of release), how much does it matter if there are also some duds mixed in? Honestly, I don't know. They've both made things I like, so they've both got my respect as studios.

(Relevantly, they're also among very few studios I know that have been able to pull off the unthinkable and actually make good sequels. Shrek 2 was great, Toy Story 2 was solid, and though I have yet to watch them, I have heard very good things about Toy Story 3, Kung Fu Panda 2, and HTTYD 2. About the only other good sequel I've seen was Captain America 2, and I'm not totally sure how much the MCU movies can be considered true sequels. That's just semantics, though: the point is that good sequels are few and far between, and both Pixar and Dreamworks have accomplished that feat.)

TravelerSF

Nov 13, 2012
Dreamworks is really hit and miss for me. They mostly seem to focus on making their movies funny, cool and hip. This means that if the humor doesn't hit home, the film loses much of it's charm and that happens to me often (I don't usually laugh at movies). I also feel that the amount of humor also cheapens the emotional moments, since they feel so out of place. So for that reason most of their movies just end up feeling lame to me. But when Dreamworks hits home, it REALLY hits home! Thinking of Prince of Egypt, Megamind and How To Train Your Dragons (and Shrek to some extend), those are some DAMN good movies!

But Pixar is Pixar. They created the 3D animation industry. They've effortlessly wowed together child friendly stories, iconic characters and ADULT themes throughout their history and are, in my opinion, still the #1 player around. It's a shame they've been on such a downhill recently though. Personally I think it's because of the merging of Pixar and Disney Animation, and Ed Catmull (former president of Pixar) taking over both Disney and Pixar and starting to focus on revitalizing Disney. I mean if you look at it, Disney has skyrocketed from the black abyss that they had fallen into after the early 2000, while at the same time Pixar has struggled to match the quality their movies used to have.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
If we are taking recent years into account (i.e. last 5 years) then I think Dreamworks is better than Pixar. How to Train Your Dragon almost trumps The Incredibles as the best animated movie ever (IMO). Kung Fu Panda was excellent too. As for older films; Shrek 1 and 2, The Road to El Dorado, Chicken Run and The Prince of Egypt are fantastic.

Pixar of course make amazing films but their recent few have been 'great' (Toy Story 3) to 'meh' (Monsters University) and some might even say 'bad' (Brave and Cars 2). So Dreamworks wins the last 5 years but Pixar still completely dominated the 2000's decade (Up, Wall-E, The Incredibles, Monsters Inc., Ratatoille).

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Pixar is everyones critical darling...[b/]for a good reason[/b] even if they have put out occasional duds, they've made some real classics

and lets be honest while Shrek was groundbreaking at the time it set the tone for most animated films of the following decade and its not one I'm a huge fan of

that said I will always prefer antz over a bugs life
pearcinator said:
If we are taking recent years into account (i.e. last 5 years) then I think Dreamworks is better than Pixar. How to Train Your Dragon almost trumps The Incredibles as the best animated movie ever (IMO). Kung Fu Panda was excellent too. As for older films; Shrek 1 and 2, The Road to El Dorado, Chicken Run and The Prince of Egypt are fantastic.
ah yeah their traditional animated ones do get over looked

also I wouldn't consider Chicken Run a dreamworks film, dreamworks was their distributor/backing but it was made by Aardman animation (Wallace and gromit)