Dredd Sequel May Still Happen

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Dredd Sequel May Still Happen

[video=6212]
Karl "Dammit Jim, I'm The Law, Not a Doctor" Urban says a sequel to last year's Dredd is "not off the agenda."

A funny thing happened with the 2012 action flick Dredd. First we got a trailer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118031-Judge-Dredd-Returns-to-the-Big-Screen], and what little response to it I saw was far from uniformly positive. Then the movie came out and it tanked, seemingly confirming the opinions of the naysayers. But critics were surprisingly positive about it, and an awful lot of people who actually went and saw the film said it was good. Really good.

Sadly, while Dredd's $45 million budget was small potatoes compared to big-time Hollywood summer blockbusters, its worldwide box office take was even smaller, coming in at just $35.6 million. That's not the kind of number that screams "sequel" but even so, Urban told Collider.com that there actually is hope for a follow-up.

"Interestingly enough, I did have breakfast with [screenplay writer] Alex Garland this morning. It's not off the agenda," he said. "Clearly everyone has woken up to the fact that an audience has found this movie and loves it. It's entirely possible, and if people want to see another installment then they should be vocal about that because it can happen. The power of fandom can resurrect projects."

"It can happen" is a long way from "it will happen" or even "we're working on making it happen," but it's a lot better than "it's not going to happen." Furthermore, while Dredd tanked on the big screen, it was a big hit on DVD and digital, selling 650,000 units across DVD and Blu-ray in its first week of release and also topping the weekly download charts. So it might actually happen - and if it does happen, maybe this time around we should think about going to see it.

Source: Lionsgate [http://collider.com/dredd-2-sequel-news-karl-urban/]

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
A huge part of Dredd tanking was the cinemas completely failing to step up and actually screen it. My local screened for three days and that was that, not even a full week on the schedule. Needless to say I missed it on big screen.

It's mildly annoying when I've gone to see big Disney films and literally had the screen to myself because it's been up a month but there are still five showings that day and I picked the first one.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I'd love to see a Dredd sequel, especially if it can pull off what Starship Troopers did. Being an enjoyable action flick while also being a smart satire with subtle messages seems like the next logical step since they have the action part down and if they do it right, they can take my time and money.

Karathos

May 10, 2009
I absolutely adored the new Dredd. As a military man, when I saw the movement of the character and his general behaviour in any combat situation, I instantly knew Karl Urban had put effort into the role. If you're going to portray a character that supposedly spends every single day in a borderline-warzone with good results, his stances, his movements, his equipment handling all needs to show that.

Dunno how the hell this movie did so poorly. It's an excellent action flick, well above most of the releases of recent times. Movie-makers should learn from game devs. I would support a Dredd sequel kickstarter, no doubt about it.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
I really hope it happens. Dredd was amazing and I'd love to see a sequel, especially one that delves into some of the crazier aspects of the original comics.

fix-the-spade said:
A huge part of Dredd tanking was the cinemas completely failing to step up and actually screen it. My local screened for three days and that was that, not even a full week on the schedule. Needless to say I missed it on big screen.

It's mildly annoying when I've gone to see big Disney films and literally had the screen to myself because it's been up a month but there are still five showings that day and I picked the first one.
Also, so much this. It's incredibly irritating when I have to go way out of my way to find a theater screening a cool movie on opening night, and then discover that it's already left theaters the next weekend when I try to get my friends to see it too.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
That would be sweet, since i really enjoyed the first one.
They did show it in the theaters here, but not for long.

On a side note, Andy, i hate you. [sub][sub][sub][sub][sub]take that with a grain of salt mate [/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub]
When i saw title, and a trailer, my mind immediately jumped to the conclusion that it would be a trailer for the new Dredd movie. Only to be utterly disappointed.

Well played sir.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Hopefully, Dredd 2 can have something the original didn't!

THE HAM!
<youtube=wvJiYrRcfQo>

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
From what I gathered, Lionsgate did a pretty terrible job of actually marketing Dredd. Most of my friends didn't even realize it had come out before it was gone from the theaters.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Oh please let this happen.

I was really sceptical about Dredd before I saw it. Honestly, I thought it looked terrible. But after actually seeing this it's my favourite film of last year, and I'd love a sequel.

With Olivia Thirlby of course, and the Dark Judges. The movie handled the psi stuff brilliantly, and an R rated Judge Death... do I even need to explain why that would be awesome?

Hastln

Apr 8, 2013
I just want this to happen, and for it to make money this time. I love 2000AD

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
I loved that film, and I really want to see a sequel happen. It's a shame that it didn't get the release and marketing it deserved: it was smart, well-paced, expertly acted, and carefully written. Dredd's cold demeanor was very well-conveyed, and the villain was a nice change of pace from the usual ensemble of big bads we see on screen today. Guys, please make this happen. It deserves more.

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
Dredd 3D was one of the most painful experiences I've ever had as a cinema viewer. I'd have had to travel 100 miles to watch a 2D version of it and spent the entire film bemoaning that my nose hurt from wearing 3D glasses on top of glasses just so that some people could gawp at the apparent 3D in the SloMo scenes. Which I can't even see.

Yeah, 3D is not my friend and the forcing of 3D into this film did it no favours, especially when the plot descended into "shootout in a tower block BUT IT'S NOT THE RAID HONEST".

I dunno, man. I mean, I get the whole comics thing about Dredd never taking his helmet off, and I get that the whole point of the movie was that for Dredd it's just another day on the job, but film is not comics and we've got rather different expectations. Film Dredd became not much more than a slightly pissed off walking gun turret, a bystander in his own movie (to Anderson - and let's be clear here, Thirlby got the wide-eyed recruit thing perfect). If anything - and I know that this is sacrilege in most quarters - I actually preferred Sly's version, which while ridiculous and hammier than a large pile of ham did at least had something of a story.

All that said, I'm glad that talk of a sequel is still alive; because what this movie did do well is create a setting and a character (Anderson) that does totally merit exploration. Without it, Dredd is merely a prequel, an introduction to a movie that never arrives.

cptmachine

Sep 27, 2010
I love the film and it stuck really well to the source material while the changes they made; made sense. I think the 3D only thing hurt it pretty bad. I'm not sure of the numbers on this but alot of modern summer blockbusters give the choice of 2D or 3D so it doesnt draw people away. 3D only can annoy some people; myself included. Its why I never took the time to see Ghost Rider 2 in cinema despite loving the first one.

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
I would have gone to see it at the cinema but it was pretty much a choice between see it in 3D or don't see it it. And as i f**king hate 3D option B it was. :/

Apr 28, 2008
fix-the-spade said:

Yeah, I was planning on seeing it my the theater near me stopped showing it after a few days. Managed to catch it on DVD and yeah, the movie actually is really good.

A sequel would be pretty neat.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I have no hope of a sequel, but I'd love one. Alex Garland is pretty fantastic, and Karl Urban was really good in the role. Honestly, I reckon if they actually did a good job of promoting it and showing it, a sequel would do well. Hopefully if the fan following (which seems to be pretty strong) is big enough it might happen.

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
Kinitawowi said:
I dunno, man. I mean, I get the whole comics thing about Dredd never taking his helmet off, and I get that the whole point of the movie was that for Dredd it's just another day on the job, but film is not comics and we've got rather different expectations. Film Dredd became not much more than a slightly pissed off walking gun turret,
Yeah I know right... it's almost like that and his stringent sticking to the letter of the law... is... *GASP* What made the character popular in the first place.

Dredd has endured for nearly 40 years for a reason.

OT: I would love a squeal, I saw the first in the cinema 3 times and own it on both DVD and Blu-Ray.

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
If there is a sequel, I will be the first in line because Dredd was easily one of the best action movies to come out in a while. Karl Urban and Olivia Thirlby killed it in that movie and I have no doubts that the next movie will be successful now that the old Dredd has been overshadowed.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
What is Dredd without Stallone?

I'm not sure I could bear to see it.

(I didn't actually know there was a Dredd last year; no promotion in the UK and I somehow missed it here, I guess.)