Dredd Writer: Sequel Not Happening

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
So pissed. If a kickstarter for this shows up, I'm sinking as much money as is feasible into it. Dredd was one of the best sci-fi action movies of the last decade with real, visceral grit you could sink your teeth into.

The rating and shit marketing killed this movie, and it was an unfair death. I picked it up on Blu-ray for cheap, and immediately after watching felt like the biggest bastard for not seeing it at the cinema.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Sad indeed. The movie wasn't perfect, but it was pretty good and a lot of fun. Certainly the best Dredd has been in the big screen.
I am one of those that had to see it online. My local cinemas put it down after only a weekend.
AstaresPanda said:
so am i getting this right.

Make a good movie + crappy marketing = shitty movie and a fail.
Make a shitty movie + market the shit out of it = great movie worth milking the shit out of. ok then.
Let me put it this way. Hollywood only cares about sequels of movies that had success; they don't care about the quality of the movie if no one saw it; and marketing can turn the shitiest of movies into big hits.

So, yes, marketing and distribution is at least as important as having a good movie, if not more...

small

Aug 5, 2014
the ironic thing is that if you took it back to the 80's it would of been a smash hit on word of mouth alone, but these days an R rating is a death sentence to movies. think of it this way. we have the definitive judge dredd movie now and it wont be ruined by shitty sequels at least

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
*sigh*

Why does Hollywood ALWAYS FREAKING DO THIS? They release this stellar film (Titan A.E., Dredd, Atlantis, The Fifth Element) and they do hardly ANY marketing for it. People aren't going to see it if they don't even know it EXISTS. No matter how good it is.

I think game publishers do this just as much.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
oh man. i was so hyped for a sequel. dredd was really awesome and pretty much the only movie i actually enjoyed in 3D. got the DVD, later on even got the blueray to watch it in 3D on my parents big TV, and then i got it again on DVD when i moved away (has its reasons). thats how much i like this movie. we need more of them.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
AstaresPanda said:
so am i getting this right.

Make a good movie + crappy marketing = shitty movie and a fail.
Make a shitty movie + market the shit out of it = great movie worth milking the shit out of. ok then.
You beat me to it.

Well, it is a damn shame. Really liked Dredd. Shows once again that goodmovies truelly go underappreciated at times.

CGAdam

Nov 20, 2009
Well, at least it didn't torpedo Karl Urban's career or anything. He's an actor I'd like to see in more than just Star Trek.

Grumman

Sep 11, 2008
Dredd is a really good movie. Literally every time I have brought it up in conversation, people will jump up to say how awesome it is. Even if we can't get more of this franchise, we at least need more movies made with this kind of love for good filmmaking. It would also be nice if Orci and Kurtzman were reduced to living in a dumpster, but that's a means to an end.

SteinarB

Jun 16, 2014
croc3629 said:
There truly is no justice in this world.

Was the advertising for Dredd really that poor? Were people just not interested?

Why?
Yes. Yes it was that poor. Whoever handled advertising for Dredd dropped the ball, then stepped on it, squeezing all the air out of the ball, then they covered the ball in gasoline and set fire on it before burying the ashes of the ball in an anonymous shallow grave.

That's how badly the advertising for it was handled in my opinion. The movie was shown for a _week_ at my local cinema, and I didn't even know they were showing it until that week was over. It was pathetic and has to take 99% of the blame for the movie doing badly at the cinema box office.

And because of this we're unlikely to get a sequel to an actual _GOOD_ movie about Dredd and people will keep remembering that Stallone abomination when anyone mentions the character. GAH!

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
Sanunes said:
Fat_Hippo said:
For some unfathomable reason, this movie didn't even get a lot of attention on the internet. Hell, even Moviebob didn't mention it, as far as I can recall, and it seems like it would be right up his alley.
If you watch the video for that week (Resident Evil Retribution) he couldn't make the only critic review because he was on an airplane coming back from The Escapist Expo and the people he trusts said it was "pretty good". Which is unusual for he rarely talks about a movie he doesn't review.
Brought it up again before The Master, after he'd watched it, confirming that yes it was that good.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/6350-The-Master

I would've liked to have heard his breakdown of it, though. Maybe he'll do a retrospective or somesuch.

Bums me out to hear the writer speak with such finality because I'd hate to think anyone who worked on such an outstanding movie felt underappreciated for it. On the plus side, Hollywood isn't known for finality. While I'm onboard with knocking the general public's taste in movies, every once in awhile something like Serenity happens.

TheUnbeholden

Dec 13, 2007
Thats bullshit, Angry Joe recommended it to like more than 500'000 people about 10 days after its cinema release (his fanbase at the time of his review of it). To Dredd fans, and action movie fans in general. Even most of those people couldn't find a theater that screens it, the DVD sales would more than make up for it.