Driver kills boy, sues family for 1 million dollars

Sofus

Apr 15, 2011
Someone ends the life of another person.. there is only be one punishment that is severe enough to balance out such a crime.... but I guess life in prion (untill death) would be acceptable aswell.

monkey_man

Jul 5, 2009
What the hell are Americans People on that continent even doing with suing for such boatloads of money? These are both normal families, and I have NO idea where the thousands of dollars are supposed to come from. I understand that the situation is painful, but suing for 900k and 1.3m is just utterly moronic. Not a single normal family is ever going to be able to afford that ludicrous amount of money. The next fifteen generations would still be paying off this sum.

You people sue way too much. Take a chill pill and settle stuff like adults, don't try and gain immense wealth, effectively bankrupting someone, because of a tragedy.

*EDIT*

Yes I've been corrected about the country of Origin, YES I feel stupid about fucking that up. I'm sorry.

My point still stands, STOP SUING PEOPLE FOR THE SKIN ON THEIR BACKS.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
monkey_man said:
Thank you for this post. You're disproving the myth that being geographically challenged is a trait limited to Americans.

Can you find the United Stats of America on a map? Good. Now, go a bit north.
Do you know what country that is? That's Canada. You know, where this lawsuit is taking place.

monkey_man

Jul 5, 2009
madwarper said:
monkey_man said:
Thank you for this post. You're disproving the myth that being geographically challenged is a trait limited to Americans.

Can you find the United Stats of America on a map? Good. Now, go a bit north.
Do you know what country that is? That's Canada. You know, where this lawsuit is taking place.

Actually, that makes it even worse. I was kinda HOPING that it was America, because that country has a goddamn reputation for being stupid in almost every way, including suing everything that rubs you the wrong way. I'm sorry for getting it wrong this time, but usually when shit like this happens, It's always America. It's sad to know that the stupid has spread to Canada as well.
We send fucking FLOWERS to Canada, jesus fuck. I've officially lost all hope for my species. At least for that entire continent. My point is still valid, stop suing people for everything they'll ever own. You monsters.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
monkey_man said:
What the hell are Americans even doing with suing for such boatloads of money? These are both normal families, and I have NO idea where the thousands of dollars are supposed to come from. I understand that the situation is painful, but suing for 900k and 1.3m is just utterly moronic. Not a single normal family is ever going to be able to afford that ludicrous amount of money. The next fifteen generations would still be paying off this sum.

In fact, I hardly understand the entirety of America's "culture" but that aside. You people sue way too much. Take a chill pill and settle stuff like adults, don't try and gain immense wealth, effectively bankrupting someone, because of a tragedy.
Look, I know that we Americans have a bad habit of stealing credit for things, but we're not actually trying to claim credit for this. This happened in Canada, and involves Canadians. Go yell at them.

monkey_man

Jul 5, 2009
TakerFoxx said:
monkey_man said:
What the hell are Americans even doing with suing for such boatloads of money? These are both normal families, and I have NO idea where the thousands of dollars are supposed to come from. I understand that the situation is painful, but suing for 900k and 1.3m is just utterly moronic. Not a single normal family is ever going to be able to afford that ludicrous amount of money. The next fifteen generations would still be paying off this sum.

In fact, I hardly understand the entirety of America's "culture" but that aside. You people sue way too much. Take a chill pill and settle stuff like adults, don't try and gain immense wealth, effectively bankrupting someone, because of a tragedy.
Look, I know that we Americans have a bad habit of stealing credit for things, but we're not actually trying to claim credit for this. This happened in Canada, and involves Canadians. Go yell at them.
I acknowledge I was wrong, I corrected my original post.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
monkey_man said:
Even so, your perception of the entire continent being so wrongheaded is also off. I know America has a reputation of a place where wacky things happen, but hey, it's a huge fucking country with a lot of media and originally made primarily of people looking to get the hell out of your side of the lake. With so many people from so many cultures getting thrown together, you've got to expect a lot of weirdness to develop. Plus, we're only a couple hundred years old. Cut us some slack. Take a look at European history and see the sort of fucked up stuff people in your continent used to do when their countries were young.

And this might surprise you, but the majority of Americans are perfectly decent folk who laugh at these ridiculous stories as much as you do. That's why they became news, because they're ridiculous. Stories about normal people living normal lives and behaving civilly don't make the news, because no one is interested in people behaving the way they're supposed to. So instead of ranting off at specific countries for being stupid, let's just agree that there are stupid people everywhere, with the specific brand of stupid changing somewhat from place to place.

monkey_man

Jul 5, 2009
TakerFoxx said:
monkey_man said:
Even so, your perception of the entire continent being so wrongheaded is also off. I know America has a reputation of a place where wacky things happen, but hey, it's a huge fucking country with a lot of media and originally made primarily of people looking to get the hell out of your side of the lake. With so many people from so many cultures getting thrown together, you've got to expect a lot of weirdness to develop. Plus, we're only a couple hundred years old. Cut us some slack. Take a look at European history and see the sort of fucked up stuff people in your continent used to do when their countries were young.

And this might surprise you, but the majority of Americans are perfectly decent folk who laugh at these ridiculous stories as much as you do. That's why they became news, because they're ridiculous. Stories about normal people living normal lives and behaving civilly don't make the news, because no one is interested in people behaving the way they're supposed to. So instead of ranting off at specific countries for being stupid, let's just agree that there are stupid people everywhere, with the specific brand of stupid changing somewhat from place to place.
I know that there are plenty of normal people in America. We're bringing this back to America, which is a massive derailment of this thread and NOT the intention I had when posting about it. All I AM saying is that America does happen to have a lot of stupid. And it appears to be spilling.

senordesol

Oct 12, 2009
monkey_man said:
I know that there are plenty of normal people in America. We're bringing this back to America, which is a massive derailment of this thread and NOT the intention I had when posting about it. All I AM saying is that America does happen to have a lot of stupid. And it appears to be spilling.
I love it! Stupid people in other countries are America's fault.

I'm pretty sure if you said that about any other country you'd be called a racist.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
monkey_man said:
Granted. We do. Still not seeing how this is our fault though, directly or indirectly. Especially when you break the case down as such:

Boys go out for a late-night bike ride, and carelessly do so while wearing dark clothing while riding three abreast down a dark road with a high speed limit.

Woman is unable to see them in time and hits them. Tragically, the results are fatal.

Since it was the boys' fault, as sad as that might be, police determine that the woman is not in the wrong and have her cleared of charges.

The families of the deceased launch a lawsuit against the woman anyway. Unreasonable, as it wasn't her fault, but understandable, given that those who have suddenly lost a loved one don't usually think rationally, especially when it's their child and the person who had killed them got to walk away, even if they happened to be innocent.

Woman cannot afford to pay the amount, so her representation advises her to file a counter-suit as a way to get the family to back off, a counter-suit that would be dropped as soon as the first suit is dropped. Ergo, self defense. This doesn't seem to be happening, so it's unfortunately getting escalated.

In short, it's not a case of one country's stupidity spilling onto another, but a tragic series of events brought upon people, well, behaving as people do when emotions like grief, anger, and fear are heavily involved. The only real stupidity was the boys' carelessness, and hey, they wwre kids. Kids do reckless stuff all the time, no matter where they live. This was just an instance where it ended horribly.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Fenrox Jackson said:
Defying logic, the woman is NOT at fault here. She sure as hell should be, but that is the nature of traffic laws in the US.
Fenrox Jackson said:
You realize i was addressing his legitimate and correct assumptions of US bike laws that happen to be in a forum about a Canadian bike tragedy, right?
I guess I was just confused by you saying the woman should be at fault in this case, and was not by nature of traffic laws in the US. Had you put in a qualifier such as "that's the nature of traffic laws in the US as well" it may have been more clear.

Also, I disagree. If they'd had been cycling safely, she would be. They were not, put themselves at risk, and tragedy happened due to their recklessness. Bike at 1:30AM on a dark road in dark clothing side-by-side across the lane, and you're asking to get killed. That's what happened.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
Ah, I remember this story.

The driver hits a boy and his two friends with her SUV, who were riding their bikes in the middle of the road in the middle of the night.

- The bikers should have been wearing protective AND reflective gear, but they weren't, and they should've heard the SUV coming, but the didn't. IF you drive you know how easy it is for pedestrians, bikers and animals to appear in front of you in the night.

So, the driver is arrested, released, then the family starts shit-stirring that the driver was a bad driver, speeding, drunk, etc.

- Drivers life falls apart. I mean, if you accidently killed a kid and you were powerless to avoid it, wouldn't your life go to shit and how terrible would you feel?

Police investigate, driver was 100% clean and the verdict was that the kid's death was an unfortunate accident, but through no fault of the driver.

Family of dead kid then sue the driver, because she MUST have been in the wrong. The kid surely wasn't.

- Driver, who's life is already a mess and has a deep depression and their name soiled, is now being sued. Counter sues as a threat to get the parents to back off.

-----

So, all in all, I'm on the drivers' side if the driver really is innocent.