Driving test.

Tiger King

Legacy
Oct 23, 2010
Country
USA
I am taking my California driving test soon and was hoping for a few tips from anyone that has taken it.

I already have a UK licence so you can imagine how excited I am to have to do this stuff all over again :(
Having spoken to a lot of other expats, I have been led to believe that the test is so easy it's and I quote 'a joke' and from what I have read/been told it does sound quite easy compared to the test back home.

However I don't want to be arrogant/over confident and assume that passing will be a given, especially as I have no doubt picked up some bad habits over the years.

I have been watching videos on youtube and driving wherever possible but I feel I am struggling to drive 'the learner way'. That is remembering to do all the semi pointless gestures the dmv asks you to do such as exaggerated head turns when checking your mirrors etc.

Thanks guys!

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
The best thing I can suggest is study. I moved to California back in 97 from Texas. I went in super confident and even brushed off the comments from the test giver that "No one passes on their first attempt". It took three tries to finally pass. Now this is purely the written test. They didn't need to get me behind the wheel but that might very well be different for you since you're coming from the UK. Best of luck living in California. I had to get out of there after 5 years.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Are you doing this on your own or you have a teacher helping you to drive?

Just asking cos depending how different the test is from US and UK (UK here) the teacher know the many routes the test will have which will help alot during the praticle test.

Tiger King

Legacy
Oct 23, 2010
Country
USA
Scarim Coral said:
Are you doing this on your own or you have a teacher helping you to drive?

Just asking cos depending how different the test is from US and UK (UK here) the teacher know the many routes the test will have which will help alot during the praticle test.
doing it on my own which I am now regretting. in hindsight I would have gotten lessons.
technically, it is easier to pass here. however, you need to pass the way they want!

Tiger King

Legacy
Oct 23, 2010
Country
USA
doubt anyone is interested but I just passed!
was shocked at how easy it was compared to the UK test, there was no manoeuvres to perform except reversing and the test only lasted 15 minutes.

Thanks for your help antidonkey and scarim coral!