DRM Is Coming To Firefox

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
As others have pointed out, the headline is sensationalist and if you read the article it tells how Firefox is basically implementing what all other browsers already have. DRM itself is Digital Rights Management, and despite what some people think it's existed for a loooong time. Basically this is a way to encrypt the files so that you can't simply download them for yourself...which is funny because it doesn't work at all because not only are there converters and extensions people use to get around this. Basically this is trying to encrypt the data so it can't be downloaded and copied, nothing to get in a huge tizzy about.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Valderis said:
canadamus_prime said:
...what? How the fuck do you put DRM into a web browser?

Also if my permission is required then permission not granted.
A web browser is just software, of course you can put DRM into it. You can put DRM into ANYTHING!

---

At least they give us a choice, which is more then you get from anyone else.

So fuck that W3C EME bullshit, I don't need it, I'll just wait till it gets hacked like every other piece of DRM in existence.
Well yeah, of course you can, but what are you DRMing in a web browser esp. an open source one?

Neeckin

Feb 5, 2013
What have you done Firefox? You've made Internet Explorer more user friendly then you

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
canadamus_prime said:

As it says in the article (hint hint), they're adding support for a video playback DRM meant to stop people from just ripping streams off of Netflix, etc. or otherwise illegally misusing the data. This playback DRM already exists in internet explorer and chrome, and really doesn't practically negatively effect the consumer at all.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Neeckin said:
What have you done Firefox? You've made Internet Explorer more user friendly then you
...You are aware that Internet Explorer and Google Chrome already have this type of DRM in it right? It's been in both browsers for ages now, and the article even says it. Frankly I'm surprised that FireFox didn't already have this in it's coding, as I assumed it did.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Whew, we can deny it permission? Done deal. Guess I'll stop downloading Chrome now...

Captcha: Umbrella Corporation

Holy shit, I fucking KNEW it! They're the reason why! Better pack up and leave before they unleash and entire zombie apocalypse on my town just to kill me.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Phrozenflame500 said:
canadamus_prime said:

As it says in the article (hint hint), they're adding support for a video playback DRM meant to stop people from just ripping streams off of Netflix, etc. or otherwise illegally misusing the data. This playback DRM already exists in internet explorer and chrome, and really doesn't practically negatively effect the consumer at all.
I read the article thank you very much. However I still wasn't clear on how DRM could be integrated into a web browser.
Valderis said:
canadamus_prime said:
Well yeah, of course you can, but what are you DRMing in a web browser esp. an open source one?
I don't know, I don't know how these idiots coked up on DRM madness think things throe. If it was up to them everything would be DRM'ed to the max and we'd have to sign EULA's for every damn button press we made in our lives. They don't care about functionality, they live in fear and are stuck in their old ways of the pre-internet era idiocy.
Yeah? Well I say they can take their DRM shove it someplace unpleasant.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
canadamus_prime said:
Hope you don't want to use Netflix or its contemporaries, because that's what this is for.

OT: I read the headline and I was worried, then I read the article and realized this is a total non-issue.
Although I suppose that's just proof that sensationalist headlines work.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
RedDeadFred said:
I'm sorry but I really don't get it... Doesn't using an internet browser require you to always be online in the first place? Isn't that kind of what DRM is? I really don't get it. I use Chrome and if there's some kind of hidden DRM in that, I'm not aware. Is this actually a big deal?
Only always-online DRM requires you to be online. DRM can come in many forms, including stuff that never needs an internet connection.

ntfwc

Oct 28, 2013
The article is a bit misleading. From what I've read, the CDM that will process the DRM-protected content will be a sandboxed third-party module you download from Adobe (Flash anyone?). It won't be part of the browser, it will be like a rather special plug-in.

See I don't have any problem with that. It doesn't force you to do anything, just gives you more choice.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
Wait, so what does this DRM actually do? And what does it do with the other internet browsers?

DoctorM

Nov 30, 2010
I guess there's always Opera... I've been meaning to install it.
Between this and the ads, I don't see the point of staying with bloated FF.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
bug_of_war said:
Wait, so what does this DRM actually do? And what does it do with the other internet browsers?
It encrypts the data for streaming videos so people can't illegally download full movies from places like Netflix and Hulu. All this is doing is encrypting the data, something that Google Chrome and Internet Explorer have always been doing.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
See? This is what happens when you go on a witch-hunt and oust a CEO based on his personally held beliefs!

=P
Chill out, it was only a joke.