Drone Completes First-Ever Automated Carrier Landing

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Damn, it only took 502 tries to get this to work.
Most experiments take a lot longer than that!

Well now we've pretty much mastered the tech of autopiloting I guess.

Yelchor

Aug 30, 2009
Desert Punk said:
Good points, I think another to add would be that these weapons aren't solely in the hands of military units like fighter craft or bombers are, we are allowing people like the CIA to operate the drones, who have less oversight in general than the military does. I think mosto f the more recklas drone strikes have been done by intelligence services than military units.

And when I say Enemy Civilians, I mean generally not allied civilians. A number of people feel less inclined to protect the civilians of an enemy, and if they are associating with targets then guilt by association and what not. Not saying it is right, just that it is a known mental state.
Indeed. It is the CIA that has been in charge of at least the majority of drones deployed outside the United States, which has become more of a para-military organisation in this most recent decade.

And while I don't know what sort of mindset is encouraged, directly or indirectly, to people such as drone operators, the track record shows a severe disregard for the Geneva Conventions.

Humans won't be removed from villainhood by artificial intelligences for a time yet as it is now.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Crazie_Guy said:
This is actually one of those things where I kind of assumed it had already happened. Makes me feel like the future is getting here just a tad late.
The probably didn't show us the previous 20 or 30 videos of drones hitting the deck, or going off the end into the sea :)

It's an impressive craft.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
This new aircraft totally doesn't remind me of EDI from the film Stealth.

inb4 it downloads all the songs and goes on it's own little tangent.

May 20, 2009
Automated, cold, heartless war machines? Well if they go bananas at least we'll be able to shoot guns at them and not feel guilty. It can be very therapeutic.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Well it can take off and land. Now we just need to teach it how to fight.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
MinionJoe said:
The Navy likes their drones BIG, don't they?

Maybe I'm just too used to seeing Predator drones on TV or something.
They deliberately made it similar size to conventional aircraft for comparison purposes.

Yelchor said:
Desert Punk said:
Were the Drones at fault? No, for they cannot make decisions on their own, but the effects of these technologies are already becoming obvious. It distances the pilot from the action. It's much easier to pull the trigger when you're on the other side of the world sitting in front of a computer screen. When you don't feel as involved or responsible for what happens in a warzone, chances are you won't be as hesitant to utilise lethal force. And this mentality will likely only increase in regularity as these veichles become more independent.
While that is true, bomber pilots have always been fairly distant from the action, and even moreso the people giving the orders.

Desert Punk said:
This particular drone is completely automated. It doesn't need a human pilot. All it needs is orders, it will then be able to launch itself, carry out its orders, and return to base once its done.
Do you have a source for this?

Anyway, I'm not too worried about autonomous drones for political reasons. The first time there's a friendly fire incident they'll be grounded, and target identification is a massive issue. People have weapons that work beyond visual range that they hardly ever use because of this.

The Critic

Apr 3, 2010
It's amazing, the things that they can get these things to do, now. Size is also pretty darn impressive, though I doubt that the production versions will be quite that big.

Heh, at this point, it's only a matter of time until FedEx or some other shipping company adopts this. Can you imagine that, commercial drone cargo jets?

Ah, back on topic, this is pretty damn awesome, tech-wise.

Andy Chalk said:
An automated landing may not seem like a big deal, but landing on an aircraft carrier is one of the hardest jobs there is for a human pilot. The deck itself is a relatively tiny strip of real estate floating on the undulating waves of the sea, you're approaching it at something just shy of ludicrous speed and putting wheels on it is just half the battle: You also have to catch a steel cable with your arrestor hook or it's back around for another try, assuming you don't end up in the drink.
You know, looking at that reminded me of a Dos Gringos song. Let me see if I can find it...