Drop The SOPA

fractured_sanity

May 25, 2011
oneplus999 said:
My representative in the house of reps supported SOPA, does that mean you will assume I supported SOPA?
Yes because governments and freely joined organizations are the same thing.

Akisa

Jan 7, 2010
oneplus999 said:
My representative in the house of reps supported SOPA, does that mean you will assume I supported SOPA?
If you actively go against her/his support (in most cases voting against) then no. If you choose not to vote during the next election or vote for your representative then yes you do support SOPA/PIPA.

Natural Philosopher

Mar 2, 2011
I found it funny that someone who commented on the article about EA's lack of stance actually had something similar to today's comic.

Posted: Jan 17th 2012 11:22AM
jsx92 said

?Tolerance of intolerance is cowardice.?

Also, if you belong to an association and they support something then you also support it. You can't sign up for the KKK and then go on to explain that you personally have no problems with people of other races.

EA can try to play it off all they want, everyone knows where their loyalty lies. My question is whether anyone will actually react or demand something from them. I fear we'll know but still pay millions a year for their game and they wont think twice about supporting a bill like SOPA (like ACTA) again.

BishopofAges

Sep 15, 2010
Hahaha! I have to say that was great, the reference and all. A great number of men have said "Appearance is everything." When you side with 'bad guys,' you can spend the whole day reflecting your position, but in the end you are still sided with them.

This is something that even people who are new to the SOPA/PIPA threat can understand. It's going to hurt the rep of quite a few places, but in the end, people will still buy something if its good enough or they want it enough. That right there is why all those 'boycott EA' threads from long ago never amounted to much, no matter the reason for it, although, this would have possibly put it over the edge if it had passed.

Great comic fellows!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I made the same comments months ago with the NRA, though I kinda prefer the Klan comparison for effect.

Irridium said:
Fun fact, PIPA just got shelved.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2012/01/reid-shelves-protect-ip-act-in-response-to-recent-events.ars

So yeah, there's that. Then again, SOPA was shelved and then promptly came back again. But still.
Well yeah, that's why people aren't sure it's gonna die. SOPA has been shelved like three times this week, twice "indefinitely."

Since SOPA has died so often in one week, people are fairly safe in being skeptical of the "death" of PIPA.

Not to mention, PIPA sponsor Pat Leahy has drafted several pieces of legislation like this which have only grown more bold with time. The next bill might not be so nice.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
This cracked me up. That was a hilarious comic, which also expresses my opinion on this issue. :eek:

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Grey Carter said:
"I'll spare you the "SOPA is bad" speech. I'm assuming that since you're reading this, you're well aware of what SOPA/PIPA are, and what they could do if implemented."
This is probably the most hilarious thing I've ever read, considering most of the people who wrote the SOPA/PIPA proposals don't know what the feck they are.

Akimoto

Nov 22, 2011
mcnally86 said:
Is it bad I want him to be caught eating a hobo?
Nope. I agree.

In fact if you want to know what the group is like, look at the members. EA, quit smoking us. We know what you want, some of us have received unsteller treatment and in all honesty, good riddance.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Even though I'm from South Carolina and the KKK is a black mark (among many black marks) on the history of my area, I still can only think of O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Though SOPA and PIPA are merely undead at this point. I believe a "double tap" is in order to keep them down.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Dreadjaws said:
You know? "SOPA" in spanish means "SOUP". I'll let that sink for a minute.
Spanish is my main language (being mexican and all that), so this is the first thing that came to my mind when I ever first heard of the term "SOPA"
Seriously though, pointy ghosts are funny when they're racists :p

Dreadjaws

Nov 29, 2011
SupahGamuh said:
Dreadjaws said:
You know? "SOPA" in spanish means "SOUP". I'll let that sink for a minute.
Spanish is my main language (being mexican and all that), so this is the first thing that came to my mind when I ever first heard of the term "SOPA"
Seriously though, pointy ghosts are funny when they're racists :p
LOL. I thought of that too a couple of times. Though mostly I think of having dinner.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
So this comic made me think of this picture that I saw a while ago.

Yeah. So whose up for some understanding?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Alright, I've got a quick question about the nature of the ESA. Is it, itself, its own entity? That is, is there a big ESA company building with ESA exclusive management/CEO/etc? Or is it more just the collective term for all the companies that are in it? Like a home owners association, or the way the "NFL" is really just a council of football team owners (I know that's a gross simplification of the NFL, but that's my general understanding of it...and said understanding could easily be mistaken. If so, feel free to correct me. This post IS so I can get clarification and answers, after all :p )

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Krion_Vark said:

I am! Be warned anyone with a so-called "alternative lifestyle"...because....

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Krion_Vark said:

Haha that was a funny pic.... up till someone had to associate it with little girls cartoon.