dropping the bomb on japan? yes or no?

sabercrusader

Jul 18, 2009
Yes. It was either that, or invade thier homeland. Invading the homeland would have caused more deaths than dropping the bombs on Japan. In the long run, yes, it is more justified then causing unneeded deaths and dragging the war out longer than it already was.

Freeze_L

Feb 17, 2010
It was not the best option, we should have used the Bomb on a purely military installment, and the second bomb was not necessary. We could not have let the war go on, the Japanese were prepared to fight to the last person, and there was no way to stop them, we would have lost a great deal more lives and Japan would have lost more lives as well. Every single Japanese was ready to die if it was necessary, that was just the culture, there is no way that it could have ended well for either side with out dropping the bomb. Truman should have ordered the bomb to be launched at a more militarized location, not a civilian area, this was wrong. Attacking civilians is always wrong, and dropping the bomb was WRONG MORALLY it should have been launched at a military target.

However there was some justification for dropping the first bomb. There was no reason to drop the second bomb. The Japanese Emperor had already put his foot down and was forcing the military to declare peace and Truman KNEW that. The US had that information, we knew we had won, but the President ordered the second attack. What he was thinking i do not know, the only thing i can think of is that when he ordered it he did not have the information on just what the bomb did and did not know what was happening, this is very likely, he should have gotten the information in preliminary reports but they may not have gotten to him by the time he ordered the attacks.

It should not be a question that the bombs were not a good thing and it was wrong to have dropped the second one. However you need to be aware that Truman did not know exactly how much damage was caused by the first bomb, and it was more than he thought would occur, and radiation was not calculated into the decision. The bomb was large but no one in the military expected it to do as much as it did, and have as long lasting effects as it did.

YesConsiderably

Jul 9, 2010
emeraldrafael said:
YesConsiderably said:
emeraldrafael said:
I know the average russian is only good at drinking and freezing, so I'll let you in on this while your brains cells defrost. He just destroyed your arguement about wanting to surrender. When you have a man that fights for 27 years after a war has ended and only stops when a commanding officer tells him, it doesnt bode well for how the rest of the country would have acted.
Just so we're clear... you did just say "when you have A man" right? As in one person? Who refused to surrender even after the actual country had?

I'm struggling to see how this destroys anything. It's well known that the military faction of the cabinet were in favour of continuing the war... cooler heads, like Suzuki, prevailed.

By July 1945 the Imperial navy and army were in such a sorry state that a ground war would have scarcely been neccessary. The Japanese government knew they were in a bad way, which is why they wanted to end the war. Had the US been willing to entertain the idea of anything other than an unconditional surrender, an agreement would have probably been reached.
Becuase you had said they wanted peace. And this man took as his mission, becuase he was TAUGHT like EVERY CITIZEN (since they used something like a forced draft, your're born, you fight) to fight and die before surrender. Besides that, do you really thinkt he soldiers would stop? after they fought so long, they would just Stop? The japanese used propaganda to,a dn tehy were scared of the US and what they would do. They were afraid we would turn them over to the Chinese, like Germans were with the Jews, and i can tell you the Chinese would not have been as forgiving.
I don't think that your point is really worth making.

When the Japanese actually did surrender, most of their military stopped fighting.

Moosh50

Oct 19, 2008
JUMBO PALACE said:
Moosh50 said:
Well, like a great man once said:
"They say that the best weapon is the one you never have to fire. I respectfully disagree. I prefer the weapon you only have to fire once. That's how Dad did it, that's how America does it, and it's worked out pretty well so far."
Damn it, I know that quote! What's it from again?
Shame on you. Say five Ave Stark's and rent Ironman this coming weekend.

Staskala

Sep 28, 2010
emeraldrafael said:
They didnt tell me about thier culture, they told me about their ferocity. One story will always stick in my head. My grandfather was one of those guys who torched fox holes when they needed it done. He siad he did, and a Japanese soldier, while burning, ran at him and tried to kill him, heedless of the fire as his flesh blistered and fell off behind him.

Another was in the pacific islands when they tried to take them. The japanese ran into bullets so the that man behind them could get that much farther while the man in front took the bullet and died, all for the homeland.

And i learned my culture from a former japanese soldier. He siad he would have fought and died, all japaanese would have. He was the one who told me about using htier wives an children. Plus i've studied books by culture professors for a WW2 report where i got this. This is how they lived, ask anyone who's even glanced at anyhting japanese related in WW2.
First of all, there never is a "all", such assumptions disqualify you from any discussion already. Hirohito never had the support of every single Japanese citizen in the country, no ruler ever had or will.
Now, let's talk facts, shall we, oh great student who read books.
Hirohito pretty much gave up on the war and began negotiations one month before the bombs were dropped. He declined the unconditional surrender of the allies since it also demanded for him to give up his might as the Emperor. Japan (that is, Hirohito and staff) wanted to remain a monarchy under Showa, this was their only priority in negotiations. America however neither wanted to make any concessions, nor did they want Russia to get the upper hand and increase its influence on Japan. Japan had used Russia to relay their offers for peace. Hirohito didn't like the idea of directly surrendering to Russia as the Soviets, despite the fact that they would have allowed him to remain Emperor at first, were more likely to remove him at a later point in time.
Anyway, during this chaos (you could also say during ongoing negotiations) America dropped the bombs.

With more pressure on the Emperor, who had already given up on continuing the war, Japan would have eventually yielded to all demands.
"It took two towns to make them surrender"? My ass, a small village would have been enough to break Hirohito's remaining will.

Surely there were fanatics who wanted to continue at all cost, but talking about Japan in general when even the almighty Showa-tenno wanted to give up is a ridiculous claim.
And the absolut extremists who even raided the Imperial Palace and commited suicide when all was lost were always a small minority.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Moosh50 said:
JUMBO PALACE said:
Moosh50 said:
Well, like a great man once said:
"They say that the best weapon is the one you never have to fire. I respectfully disagree. I prefer the weapon you only have to fire once. That's how Dad did it, that's how America does it, and it's worked out pretty well so far."
Damn it, I know that quote! What's it from again?

Shame on you. Say five Ave Stark's and rent Ironman this coming weekend.
Ahh yes now I remember!

lokun489

Jun 3, 2010
war would've ended about two years ago killing all current age japanese and german culture within america, birtian, and other ally places. this is the scenario for if we stuck to ground attacks.

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
I would love to comment however I have not taken time to properly study the historiography of these events to make a justifiable and correct analysis.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Staskala said:
emeraldrafael said:
They didnt tell me about thier culture, they told me about their ferocity. One story will always stick in my head. My grandfather was one of those guys who torched fox holes when they needed it done. He siad he did, and a Japanese soldier, while burning, ran at him and tried to kill him, heedless of the fire as his flesh blistered and fell off behind him.

Another was in the pacific islands when they tried to take them. The japanese ran into bullets so the that man behind them could get that much farther while the man in front took the bullet and died, all for the homeland.

And i learned my culture from a former japanese soldier. He siad he would have fought and died, all japaanese would have. He was the one who told me about using htier wives an children. Plus i've studied books by culture professors for a WW2 report where i got this. This is how they lived, ask anyone who's even glanced at anyhting japanese related in WW2.
First of all, there never is a "all", such assumptions disqualify you from any discussion already. Hirohito never had the support of every single Japanese citizen in the country, no ruler ever had or will.
Now, let's talk facts, shall we, oh great student who read books.
Hirohito began negotiations one month before the bombs were dropped. He declined the unconditional surrender of the allies since it also demanded for him to give up his might as the Emperor. Japan (that is, Hirohito and staff) wanted to remain a monarchy under Showa, this was their only priority in negotiations. America however neither wanted to make any concessions, nor did they want Russia to get the upper hand and increase its influence on Japan. Japan had used Russia to rely their offers for peace. Hirohito didn't like the idea of directly surrendering to Russia as the Soviets, despite the fact that they would have allowed him to remain Emperor at first, were more likely to remove him at a later point in time.
Anyway, after all this America dropped the bombs. With more pressure on the Emperor, who had already given up on continuing the war, Japan would have eventually yielded to all demands.

"It took two towns to make them surrender"? My ass, a small village would have been enough to break Hirohito's remaining will.

Surely there were fanatics who wanted to continue at all cost, but talking about Japan in general when even the almighty Showa-tenno wanted to give up is a ridiculous claim.
And the absolut extremists who even commited suicide when all was lost were always a small minority.
then I'll repeat wat was said before. When you wage an attack, on a navel base, when the country has no wish of war, you lose your right, to have conditions. Yes, we placed sanctions down and thank god we did. Did you want a second germany rising up? We may have baited a war, but its better then having TWO psychopaths with a country full of bred and taught loyalists running around in the world. This was a war of revenge. And I'll stand by my decision every day. They had no right to attack. If they wanted peace, they hsould have bent to sanctions.

By that logic, the debt we placed on Germany for WW1 should never have been placed and we wouldnt have Hitler doing what he did and WW2 would never have been.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
YesConsiderably said:
Mornelithe said:
YesConsiderably said:
I know that the average American's concept of geography isn't great, so i'll let you in on a little secret.

Japan is quite a big place, filled with many, many people. Shoichi Yokoi isn't at all representative of Japan, and you're having to stretch quite far to make this point.
No, I'm not, you said the Japanese people were ready to surrender, low and behold, there's a Japanese Sergeant (not an officer, a Sergeant), who held out until 1972 on Guam (Guam isn't in Japan, so apparently your grasp on Geography is even worse than the average American's). You can keep trying to slip in offhanded insults about my intelligence, but it merely makes your argument weaker, and even less believable.
Uh... he was Japanese. AND we were talking about Japan's willingness to stop fighting.

Guam has nothing to do with it. Again you're having to reach.
I think you just missed the point he was trying to make. There was a Japanese sergeant fighting in Guam (once again not in Japan) who, because he didn't get direct orders to surrender, keep on fighting for 27 years after the war had ended. And you think that the Japanese would just give up their homeland to the Americans?

Also you keep saying that the projected causalties of the invasion of the Japanese homeland would be no big deal. How are you getting that idea? Have you had a look at some of the earlier battles involving invasions of islands held by the Japanese? Iwo Jima, Okinawa. The Japanese fought viciously to hold onto those islands. They would have fought all the more visiously to defend their very homes. Make no mistake, the final battle for Japan would have cost both sides a lot of blood.

bl4ckh4wk64

Walking Mass Effect Codex
Jun 11, 2010
Swollen Goat said:
BlackMunz said:
The things any other person has done are NEVER an excuse for any of your own actions (except self-defense and its gonna be hard to explain how A-bombs were self-defense). That said the bombing of Hiroshima was plain wrong as wrong as the Bombing of London, Dresden and any other major city during the war. The A-Bombs however were a whole new dimension. There is never any excuse for mayor killings of civilians in any given situation in opposition to smale scale casualties that occur while i.e bombing a military convoy. For that sole reason where the bombings wrong and there is no point arguing over the justification of a war crime through the war crimes of others. Its like everytime any country does something horrible its like: "at least we are not like Germany in WWII" those are things that you can not relativize by comparing it to other things that were even worse and especially not by comparing the casualties to the loss of military personell during a combat operation(i.e invasion) especially not your own.
Spoken like someone who has no concept of how war works. Sometimes you have to do some dirty work for the greater good. Fun fact: In the lead-up bombing of France to prepare for D-Day, we (US and UK) killed over 40,000 innocent Frenchmen. Did we want to? Of course not. BUt there was no way an amphibious assault on Fortress Europa would have succeeded without it. It may sound callous, but sometimes you have to break a few eggs in order to make an omelet. And since Japan opened hosilities (with a sneak attack, no less) I say they kinda lost their claim to compassionate treatment. Not to mention all the other atrocities they committed. You go ahead and keep your moral high ground. Me and the other winners will put something nice about it on your tombstone.

YesConsiderably said:
Like i said, even if the US felt the need to continue fighting, a land invasion wouldn't have been as damaging to US forces as "Operation Downfall" made out.
Source? And can you explain the video I watched showing Japanese women hurling their children off cliffs so they wouldn't have to be savaged by the Americans as Japanese propaganda drilled into their skulls?

Um... The original plan, created by Admiral Yamamoto called for the Japanese War Ministry to declare war on the U.S. before the attack on Pearl Harbor. Trust me, if Japan had actually gone through with Yamamoto's plan, then there might have been a different outcome to WWII, in the Pacific at least and maybe even in Europe. The War Ministry thought it would be better if the attack was a surprise attack. Just saying, it wasn't really planned as a surprise attack, it was really just an executive decision that the retards in the war ministry made.

Mr.PlanetEater

May 17, 2009
Anyone that's studied their history will know, that either way a lot of Japanese were going to die. Moreso if we invaded the mainland, because they were literally training Women, and Schoolchildren how to throw hand grenades and bayonet American invaders..It was pretty much drop the bomb or pretty much have every Japanese citizen die to protect the cause. :/

lightningmagurn

Nov 15, 2009
It was a brilliant idea. The amphibious invasion plans call for something three times larger that the entire Normandy landing, and the inland combat would have been akin to Vietnam. The U.S., The U.S.S.R., Great Britian, Australia, and any other nation fighting in the pacific were too war weary to successfully carry out that type of campagien. The war would have gone on for years.

YesConsiderably

Jul 9, 2010
Mornelithe said:
YesConsiderably said:
Uh... he was Japanese. AND we were talking about Japan's willingness to stop fighting.

Guam has nothing to do with it. Again you're having to reach.
Considering he was on Guam when he surrended, yeah, it has allot to do with it. As you asserted that Japan's a big place. Guam isn't in Japan, or part of Japan.
No it doesn't.

I informed you of Japan's size as a way of illustrating that one guy's behaviour really doesn't reflect on the whole of the country.

We were talking about Japan's willingness to cease fighting, yeah? He may have been residing on Guam, but that doesn't bring Guam or its people into the discussion.

coldshadow

Mar 19, 2009
while I don't agree that it was the best or even right option, I still wouldn't change what happened if I could go back and do so.

the clockmaker

Jun 11, 2010
Staskala said:
Yet China was liberated from Japanese rule by Russia. Funny, huh, almost seems like the allies didn't care that much after all.
I'm saying it again, Russia would have solved the thing alone, the allies didn't have to do anything.
I really don't like this "but an invasion would have cost America so many soldiers" argument when there never was any need for an American invasion.
I shudder to think of a world where the soviets gained control of Japan, but that is really beside the point, not only would many of the invadind goldiers die, the casualties on the Japanese home islands would dwarf even those suffered by the Germans in East Prussia. Consider Hitler's Gotterdammurang (very poor spelling there on my part) the twilight of the gods, he planned that all of germany would go down in flames with him. This fell apart due to rationality prevailing and most germans chooding simply to surrender instead. The Japanese would not have followed this, every man and most women and children would have attacked. I don't really blame them, they had just been conditioned that way by the state, but the fact is unaviodable; In a conventional land invasion, it would be nessecary to kill a very signifigant proportion of the population to subjigate the Japanese home islands.

And russia was heavily supplied throught the lend lease program, to the point that the primary method of supply transportation on the eastern front was an american truck.
Add to that the very underwhelming streagnth of the red navy and the soviets would have both suffered heavy casualties and harboured resentment (or , you know, more resentment) at the west for letting them shoulder the burden of the pacific so soon after VE day and the fact that the nuclear deterant has not surfaced in this scenario, and we could se operation unthinkable play out in early '46.

stompy said:
And yet they insisted on unconditional surrender? The Americans weren't stupid, they knew how much the Emperor meant to the Japanese and they should have known that the Japanese had attempted to make peace through the Soviets. They could have negotiated (as they could have done before Pearl Harbour*) but they chose to use the bomb.

I'm not going to argue that the average American citizen would have thought anything but "The Japanese attacked us without warning and without provocation! They deserve no mercy." The US government on the other hand... have you heard of the McCollum Memorandum? If the US provoked Japan, then their behaviour in regards to the A-bomb is the same as their behaviour in regards to Pearl Harbour, weakening the argument that the bomb was justified.
After the treaty of versailles, there was a kind of aversion to conditional surrenders, just a bit, I would like to quote someone, while doing them the great disservice of remembering their name, but, 'this is not peace, this is an armistance for twenty years' if Japan had been allowed to perform a similar build up to 1930s germany in the nuclear age, the results would have been horrifying. Now as to Mcallum,

A. Make an arrangement with Britain for the use of British bases in the Pacific, particularly Singapore
B. Make an arrangement with Holland for the use of base facilities and acquisition of supplies in the Dutch East Indies
C. Give all possible aid to the Chinese government of Chiang-Kai-Shek
D. Send a division of long range heavy cruisers to the Orient, Philippines, or Singapore
E. Send two divisions of submarines to the Orient
F. Keep the main strength of the U.S. fleet now in the Pacific[,] in the vicinity of the Hawaiian Islands
G. Insist that the Dutch refuse to grant Japanese demands for undue economic concessions, particularly oil
H. Completely embargo all U.S. trade with Japan, in collaboration with a similar embargo imposed by the British Empire

To my knowldge, only C, F, G and H were actually implemented, as this was not official policy, only the advice of a LT Commander, and looking at those four, are they really so unreasonable, supporting Chiang kai Shek in the Sino-Japanese war brings us back to the point that japan was fighting a war of imperial aggression there. At the time, the US' greatest threat was Japan, so keeping the majority of their naval power in Hawaii makes sense for essentially the same reason that France had more troops on the Maginot line than at the pyrenees. As to the two embargo points, this was to keep Japan from expanding further, as they needed the oil and Iron to keep invading China. All in all none of these make for a rational Cassus Belli.

The things any other person has done are NEVER an excuse for any of your own actions (except self-defense and its gonna be hard to explain how A-bombs were self-defense). That said the bombing of Hiroshima was plain wrong as wrong as the Bombing of London, Dresden and any other major city during the war. The A-Bombs however were a whole new dimension. There is never any excuse for mayor killings of civilians in any given situation in opposition to smale scale casualties that occur while i.e bombing a military convoy. For that sole reason where the bombings wrong and there is no point arguing over the justification of a war crime through the war crimes of others. Its like everytime any country does something horrible its like: "at least we are not like Germany in WWII" those are things that you can not relativize by comparing it to other things that were even worse and especially not by comparing the casualties to the loss of military personell during a combat operation(i.e invasion) especially not your own.
This you're example is a bit off mate, as the allies were not useing the actions of a third party to justify their actions, but necessity and the actions of the Japanese themselves. I was not argueing that that immediatly made it right, but that that would have been a contributing factor in the process.

Also, your language is slightly unclear, so I appologise in advance if this is not what you meant, but I am tired of the argument that it is a soldiers job to die, that it would be in any way acceptable for a general to let one hundred of his men die because otherwise one hundred and one civlians of the enemy nation would die. As the son of a soldier, athe brother of a soldier and (hopefully) as of next week a soldier myself, I would hate to be in the position of explaining to the families of those who died in operation downfall that their sons lives were worth less than those of the Japanese, that they had a method for ending the war with the possiblity of the least death and that they didn't take it because they thought it was the wrong thing to do. A governments first responsibilty is to its own people and that includes her soldiers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_731
And the comfort houses were where women from captured populations were forced into sexual slavery.

Substance-E

Sep 28, 2010
I never get the point of these discussions. Determining the moral nature of a historical event doesn't change the fact that it happened and it's unlikely that this particular situation will come up again...

*edit* It also leads to everyone suddenly gaining a PHD of ______ at WikiU....

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Ask the good folk of Okinawa how much better a ground assault is to what mainland Japan got.