squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Pendragon9 said:
squid5580 said:
Pendragon9 said:
squid5580 said:
Pendragon9 said:
Wow. This is a jerk move. Forcing people to move up to DSi just to play the new games is not cool.

Then again Nintendo has a history of doing this, so surprise surprise.
From a consumer perspective it is a dick move. Nintendo is not making any money with a consumer mentality. They gotta move the DSIs. To move them the devs have to support them. Making the older console obsolete only makes sense. Ithink Sony made a huge mistake by not doing this sooner. If games like Persona 3 hit the PS3 instead of the PS2 it would have inspired more people to move into the next gen than save thier money and keep the console they have.
Wouldn't people have complained though about them not supporting their previous console generation? I thought that was the general vibe.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. That's the new slogan in the gaming industry, isn't it?
Funny how every console before the PS2 had no BC, had no support when the next gen came out and people still flocked to the stores in the millions to buy them. 1 console does it then all of a sudden it becomes a feature that is needed for all. Does this not defeat the whole purpose of moving into the next gen?
Hey, I wasn't the one that started the whole notion for it. I've just always heard that people hate it when the next gen doesn't support BC.

But meh. It's all confusing to me anyway. And since this is Nintendo, of course everyone will defend it. So it's to be expected.

I just hope I'm not right. If they do start screwing over DSi owners, much like they did Gamecube owners when the Wii came out (the whole delving into casual territory which has a thread for it already), then know I called it.
I dunno people ***** about it sure (then again they ***** about everything so...) but the thing of it is MS stopped making Xbox games the moment the 360 hit shelves. The BC in the 360 is so scary that I just straight up refuse to use it (I would have to print off a list of all games then take the list to the store and try to find the games). And MS is still doing fine. It isn't like DS games won't work on it just DSi games won't work in your DS.

I Don't see how Nintendo screwed over thier consumers with the Wii. First off there was a void in the market and Nintendo filled it. It wasn't like they got up there and pulled the old bait and switch. Oh look at this machine it has these amazing graphics and the Wii Mote will make you think you are a guy like Masterchief, only better. Right from the start, before it hit store shelves they were marketing it to a type of person who really isn't into gaming.

Graustein

Jun 15, 2008
Pendragon9 said:
Wow. This is a jerk move. Forcing people to move up to DSi just to play the new games is not cool.

It's a jerk move to release a new gaming device with new features and then begin making games that utilise those features and therefore won't run on older models which lack them? Have you been living under a rock for the last twenty years?

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Graustein said:
Pendragon9 said:

It's a jerk move to release a new gaming device with new features and then begin making games that utilise those features and therefore won't run on older models which lack them? Have you been living under a rock for the last twenty years?
Erhem. That only makes sense when the new gaming device is BETTER. The DSi is not better than the DS in any way. Just adds a bunch of crap the iPod and the PSP had before it. Ooh, camera functionality and the lack of a GBA port. Big whoop.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Pendragon9 said:

Yeah how dare they wait almost a whole year before putting out DSi exclusive titles, what a bunch of jerks.

Wait.

Abedeus said:
Too bad many people are NOT going to buy DSi just few few games and zero backwards compatibilty. Who cares about music player, cameras (piss-poor, might I add), internal memory, if those things (except for the camera, obviously) can be already used in the DS with R4.
Well seeing as how the DSi has sold 6.68 Million units [http://kotaku.com/5326205/nintendo-reveals-lifetime-wii-dsi-sales-figures] as of the end of July this year, it seems to me that they're doing just fine.

And since I know people will say it, no I'm not a fanboy, I'm just providing info and logic in a realm where it is not used enough. Hell I don't even own a DSi yet (and probably won't for a while).

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
AceDiamond said:
Pendragon9 said:

Yeah how dare they wait almost a whole year before putting out DSi exclusive titles, what a bunch of jerks.

Wait.

Abedeus said:
Too bad many people are NOT going to buy DSi just few few games and zero backwards compatibilty. Who cares about music player, cameras (piss-poor, might I add), internal memory, if those things (except for the camera, obviously) can be already used in the DS with R4.
Well seeing as how the DSi has sold 6.68 Million units [http://kotaku.com/5326205/nintendo-reveals-lifetime-wii-dsi-sales-figures] as of the end of July this year, it seems to me that they're doing just fine.

And since I know people will say it, no I'm not a fanboy, I'm just providing info and logic in a realm where it is not used enough. Hell I don't even own a DSi yet (and probably won't for a while).
Erhem. You don't seem to get what I'm saying. The DS is still a popular portable. They should be making games for it. It isn't fair they're making games which will force you to buy the new DSi.

Business strategy or not, I can't believe people are defending this. It's a dick move. Nintendo is basically saying "if you want newer games, you have to get the DSi. If you only have a DS, piff off."

If Sony started making games specifically designed for the PSP Go and leaving the old PSP fans in the past, there sure would be a hell of a lot of complaints. That's for sure.

chronobreak

Sep 6, 2008
Pendragon9 said:
Erhem. You don't seem to get what I'm saying. The DS is still a popular portable. They should be making games for it. It isn't fair they're making games which will force you to buy the new DSi.
Where in this article does it say they won't make regular DS games anymore, exactly? Why can't they do both? Shit, the things been out almost a year, what, you don't think they should make any games for it?

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Pendragon9 said:
AceDiamond said:
Pendragon9 said:

Wait.

Abedeus said:

Business strategy or not, I can't believe people are defending this. It's a dick move. Nintendo is basically saying "if you want newer games, you have to get the DSi. If you only have a DS, piff off."

If Sony started making games specifically designed for the PSP Go and leaving the old PSP fans in the past, there sure would be a hell of a lot of complaints. That's for sure.
*insert condescending onomatopoeia here*, I do get what you're saying. You're saying it's a complete dick move to put out new games for a new iteration of a console almost a year after its release, games that might take advantage of the new features (increased RAM, increased CPU, slightly larger screen size, hell even the camera as Ghostwire has shown us), thus allowing gaming as a medium to be further innovated in the field of portables. That is what you are saying. That is why I disagree. Especially since nobody has said at all that the older generation DS is going to lose all support. It didn't happen instantly with the Game Boy Advance (which still had games being made for it well into 2006, 2 years into the DS's life cycle), and I doubt it will happen here. Scribblenauts is coming out in Sept., it's not a DSi exclusive. The recently announced Okami game on the DS, which doesn't come out until 2010...isn't DSi exclusive, so why are you making a bold accusation, treating it as fact even, when you don't even have one shred of proof or a precedent to cite? Hell you say Nintendo does this all the time, Prove it. Oh wait, you can't.

NES/Famicom: Supported into 1995 with new games and hardware revisions, Nintendo continued to repair Famicoms until 2007.
SNES: Still being produced into 1999, supported with first-party software until 1997
Game Boy: Support complaints are nonexistant due to backwards compatibility which up until the DS had been near universal
N64: Supported until 2002 with new software

And I'd continue but really, this is a stupid argument. Every company will always move towards the newer console once enough units are sold, and support for the last generation will slowly drop off. It's just the way the industry works.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
AceDiamond said:
Pendragon9 said:
AceDiamond said:
Pendragon9 said:

Wait.

Abedeus said:

*insert condescending onomatopoeia here*, I do get what you're saying. You're saying it's a complete dick move to put out new games for a new iteration of a console almost a year after its release, games that might take advantage of the new features (increased RAM, increased CPU, slightly larger screen size, hell even the camera as Ghostwire has shown us), thus allowing gaming as a medium to be further innovated in the field of portables. That is what you are saying. That is why I disagree. Especially since nobody has said at all that the older generation DS is going to lose all support. It didn't happen instantly with the Game Boy Advance (which still had games being made for it well into 2006, 2 years into the DS's life cycle), and I doubt it will happen here. Scribblenauts is coming out in Sept., it's not a DSi exclusive. The recently announced Okami game on the DS, which doesn't come out until 2010...isn't DSi exclusive, so why are you making a bold accusation, treating it as fact even, when you don't even have one shred of proof or a precedent to cite? Hell you say Nintendo does this all the time, Prove it. Oh wait, you can't.

NES/Famicom: Supported into 1995 with new games and hardware revisions, Nintendo continued to repair Famicoms until 2007.
SNES: Still being produced into 1999, supported with first-party software until 1997
Game Boy: Support complaints are nonexistant due to backwards compatibility which up until the DS had been near universal
N64: Supported until 2002 with new software

And I'd continue but really, this is a stupid argument. Every company will always move towards the newer console once enough units are sold, and support for the last generation will slowly drop off. It's just the way the industry works.
That's the problem I have though. They should wait just a bit longer and give the DS some more games before making exclusives.

And I know it's how industry works. But I'm disappointed how people are so quick to defend it.

But look. I don't want to start an argument here. This is just my honest opinion on Nintendo's recent deecisions. I just don't like how they're almost forcing the DSi onto the consumers. If I had a regular DS, I wouldn't be too happy I have to pay 50 dollars to trade in for a new DSi.

I dunno. They always usually irk me.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Pendragon9 said:
That's the problem I have though. They should wait just a bit longer and give the DS some more games before making exclusives.

And I know it's how industry works. But I'm disappointed how people are so quick to defend it.

But look. I don't want to start an argument here. This is just my honest opinion on Nintendo's recent deecisions. I just don't like how they're almost forcing the DSi onto the consumers. If I had a regular DS, I wouldn't be too happy I have to pay 50 dollars to trade in for a new DSi.

I dunno. They always usually irk me.
It. Has been. A Year. If anything they were slow to start putting out DSi exclusives. That's the other thing that confuses me about your argument. I'd understand if this was right at launch day but it isn't. They've given ample time for people to buy the DSi and they should also be giving reasons why someone should be moving up, hence new and exclusive titles. Not everyone will make the change now, if ever, and I'm not even saying everyone should. Like I said I don't have one and I won't get one until I see some definite reasons to buy (Ghostwire is one of those reasons, but I'd like more).

You also have to consider that the DSi is starting to consistently outsell the DS Lite, which means more people who are getting a DS are getting the latest one. And I know that's because it probably has more shelf space but I distinctly remember seeing DS Lites and DSis sharing the same space at stores.

Graustein

Jun 15, 2008
Pendragon9 said:
Graustein said:
Pendragon9 said:

Erhem. That only makes sense when the new gaming device is BETTER. The DSi is not better than the DS in any way. Just adds a bunch of crap the iPod and the PSP had before it. Ooh, camera functionality and the lack of a GBA port. Big whoop.
Wrong. It makes perfect sense when the new console can do things that the old console cannot. The DSi has new functionality. Nintendo has announced that games are being made that will take advantage of this new functionality. Now, the DS does not have said functionality, therefore games designed to take advantage of this functionality will not work on the DS. The only reasons you could have a problem with this are either petty spite or an unfounded belief that Nintendo are somehow only capable of licensing games for one handheld at a time. There is no reason for developers not to take advantage of the DSi's capabilities. It's just that simple.

Doc Theta Sigma

Jan 5, 2009
If the Gold and Silver remakes are DSi only then I will find and harm a member of Iwata's family. I would also settle for a dog.

lostclause

Mar 31, 2009
Slightly annoyed but my usual scavenger mentality means that I notice that old DS games are about to become cheaper so maybe I'll dust of my DS and add to it's library again.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Graustein said:
Pendragon9 said:
Graustein said:
Pendragon9 said:

Wrong. It makes perfect sense when the new console can do things that the old console cannot. The DSi has new functionality. Nintendo has announced that games are being made that will take advantage of this new functionality. Now, the DS does not have said functionality, therefore games designed to take advantage of this functionality will not work on the DS. The only reasons you could have a problem with this are either petty spite or an unfounded belief that Nintendo are somehow only capable of licensing games for one handheld at a time. There is no reason for developers not to take advantage of the DSi's capabilities. It's just that simple.
I'm not seeing anything "new" from the DSi. Just a bunch of added on things nobody used before. You can keep saying it's got new functions, but it's still just a spiffed up DS. You can tell me I'm an idiot for thinking that, go on. But there's nothing special about it.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Pendragon9 said:
Graustein said:
Pendragon9 said:
Graustein said:
Pendragon9 said:

I'm not seeing anything "new" from the DSi. Just a bunch of added on things nobody used before. You can keep saying it's got new functions, but it's still just a spiffed up DS. You can tell me I'm an idiot for thinking that, go on. But there's nothing special about it.
Kinda like the PSP Go!

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
ChromeAlchemist said:
Pendragon9 said:
Graustein said:
Pendragon9 said:
Graustein said:
Pendragon9 said:

Kinda like the PSP Go!
Exactly! Thank you for seeing my point. Both of them are just wastes of time. I don't see any reason to upgrade to either one of those new portables. The old PSP and DS were good just as they were.

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
Pendragon9 said:
Business strategy or not, I can't believe people are defending this. It's a dick move.
By the way, if you're wondering why a lot of people have a hard time taking you seriously, it's exactly this. Lack of consistency with your stances. I mean, aren't you the one telling people to shut their face about PS2 BC on the PS3?

Not to mention you're complaining about Nintendo doing this when it isn't really them that are developing the game to begin with. It's a game by a third party developer. That means the developers really have no reason to lock out other people unless they really think that the DSi can do things the original DS can't.

Just out of curiosity, though. Have you tried any of the DSiWare games? Like Warioware Snapped for instance? Some of them use the new DSi functions pretty creatively.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Pendragon9 said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
Pendragon9 said:
Graustein said:
Pendragon9 said:
Graustein said:
Pendragon9 said:

Kinda like the PSP Go!
Exactly! Thank you for seeing my point. Both of them are just wastes of time. I don't see any reason to upgrade to either one of those new portables. The old PSP and DS were good just as they were.
I only really say kinda because IMO the PSP Go! Hasn't brought anything new to the table other than convenience (or inconvenience if you have more than 16 PSP games). The DSi isn't much more than a DS 1.5, but it has enough new features in it to make DSi exclusive titles, and they seem to be using the camera in rather imaginative ways.

It won't phase out the older models in a day, but I guess a year or two from now you will see a chunk of exclusive titles taking advantage of the tech, after all they need to give people incentive to buy this. I just want to see what comes from this before I call it a useless upgrade, as GhostWire looked interesting. Yeah sorry, I could see part of your point, but I can't agree with all of it, I definitely can't.

Also, if you see no reason to upgrade to either of these consoles, then technically there isn't a problem here, is there? Because it's not aimed at you, it's aimed at a different market. I wouldn't upgrade to a PSP Go!, but I could see a non owner buying a PSP Go! off the bat. If I asked someone what they wanted as a present, a DSlite, or a DSi which can do more than the DSlite except play GBA games, they would probably opt for the DSi.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Woe Is You said:
Pendragon9 said:
Business strategy or not, I can't believe people are defending this. It's a dick move.
By the way, if you're wondering why a lot of people have a hard time taking you seriously, it's exactly this. Lack of consistency with your stances. I mean, aren't you the one telling people to shut their face about PS2 BC on the PS3?

Not to mention you're complaining about Nintendo doing this when it isn't really them that are developing the game to begin with. It's a game by a third party developer. That means the developers really have no reason to lock out other people unless they really think that the DSi can do things the original DS can't.

Just out of curiosity, though. Have you tried any of the DSiWare games? Like Warioware Snapped for instance? Some of them use the new DSi functions pretty creatively.
No offense, but I've had enough of Warioware. The first installments were pretty crazy, but they got a little stale imo.

ChromeAlchemist said:
Also, if you see no reason to upgrade to either of these consoles, then technically there isn't a problem here, is there? Because it's not aimed at you, it's aimed at a different market. I wouldn't upgrade to a PSP Go!, but I could see a non owner buying a PSP Go! off the bat. If I asked someone what they wanted as a present, a DSlite, or a DSi which can do more than the DSlite except play GBA games, they would probably opt for the DSi.
I see your point there. I guess the DSi is just something Nintendo wants the new gamers to have. Still, I'm not entirely convinced it'll be a step forward until I see what progress it makes in the following year. I'll have to wait and see.