Dub or Sub? + Overall Foreign movie-stuff

blind_dead_mcjones

Oct 16, 2010
i'm not particulary fussed as to whether its dubbed or subbed

though i will add if you ever go to a cinema in australia to watch a subbed film, always keep in mind that when the characters begin talking there is the distinct posibility that half people in the room will say (in the typical high pitched whine that is the lower class australian accent) "Farkin' subtitles?! whut the faarrk?!" (i'm not joking this actually happened to my older brother when he went to see pans labrynth)

ahrnygoose

Feb 20, 2008
Just depends on what it is. For live-action foreign films, I always choose subs. Dubs, to me, generally feel out of place and distract me from the movie more than reading along with the dialog.

For anime, it just depends. I usually choose subs. Yet,there are some things that I prefer dubbed, like Cowboy Bebop or Outlaw Star. Honestly, it just depends on which one is more pleasing to my ears. If the voices are horrible =cough= =cough= Naruto dubs =cough= then I will have no problem choosing an alternative.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
Ooh, tough. In Higurashi and Azumanga Daioh (and Serial Experiments Lain at the moment) I chose subs because the dubs are so atrocious and hard to find there's just no point. But for FLCL, the dubs were actually better than the Japanese voice acting, and for Ergo Proxy it just suited better I think.

Oh yeah. Watch Ergo Proxy. It's awesome. :p

Jekken6

Aug 19, 2009
Subbed, because the dubbing usually isn't done well. Unless it's Iron Chef, where that's the appeal of the show.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
I only like dubbing when it's done in bad movies and adds to the hilarity and camp value. Otherwise, I prefer subs. I need to turn them on in plenty of English programming anyway, so it's even harder to understand what someone is saying when it doesn't match their lips.

Animated dubs are generally fine though, since syncing lip movements to animation is a lot less hard. It often turns out fine, provided they don't do the whole 4Kids "rewrite and censor everything" approach, which just makes me want to hunt down the originals anyway.

It always bugs me when subtitles have spelling fails or weird choices of words, though...

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Reminds me of the time I saw Dirty Harry in German. It suddenly turned into a comedy.

I say subtitles are the way to go. If you actually understand the language, just watch it in the original language without subtitles. Especially comedies, since most of the time, a lot of the humor gets lost in translation.

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
For films, I usually choose subs. I believe the only foreign movie I watched dub were the live action Death Note movies, because they have the same voice actors from the show. I also watched the dub for Old Boy and thought it was okay, mostly because Crispin Freeman was in it. And also The Machine Girl, because it adds to the ridiculousness, and it's the only version I could find :p

For anime, dub, when availiable, unless it absolutely horrible, but that barely happens to me since I'm fairly positive towards them, and I at least find them okay. I used to hate the Higurashi dub when I first heard it, but after a while it grew on me, and there were part that I thought were quite good, but I'm still not fond of Rika's voice and hate Keiichi's voice. I actually quite liked Rena's voice, especially at the later episodes. Still definitely not better than the sub, but overall it was okay. Fate/ Stay Night's dub was pretty bad, though.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
I read a few posts here and I'm saddened. Why is anime suddenly inferior to movies?

I'd go as far as to say that anime is MORE harmed by dubbing since usually localization takes place as well.

Exactly like how movies are inferior in dubs, so is anime or videogames for that matter. All media are equal under the realm of original versions.

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
Subtitles. Dubbing offends the language the movie is in. It's like someone somewhere saying "Your language sucks; we're gonna have these people speaking good ol' English, if you don't mind."

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
Niagro said:
[footnote]All of this is commenting on anime, of course.[/footnote]Ah, the age-old war between subs and dubs.

I choose subs, usually, as bad voice acting can butcher a show.
Excuse me? I don't think I have mentioned anime once with the opening post? I am totally not bashing foreign cinema! I am more bashing myself for not really enjoying asian films all that much. You know there are other asian films than animated?

Midnight Crossroads

Jul 17, 2010
Depends on what I'm watching

Black Lagoon was improved by dubbing because of a solid cast of voice actors, but that's rare. If the voice actors are good, then I prefer dubbed. If you can't get that, then sub-titles are superior.

Drakulla

May 19, 2009
I prefer to watch a move vs reading it. It also depends on the movie or show. If the dubbing is done well and the voice over sounds well then dubbed. If its a half ass'd job then subbed.

Bobbovski

May 19, 2008
* I never ever watch movies that have been dubbed into my own language (unless I've got absolutely no choice)

* I always watch live action movies in their original language with subs. To me the concept of dubbing live action movies is completly alien and really weird. (unless you live in a country were allot of people can't read)

* As for animated movies; I usually watch them with subs in their original language. But sometimes I might watch an english dub (with subs if available).

amadhatter

Apr 15, 2010
I go with subs, but occasionally switch over to dubs during action sequences so I can focus more.

[.redacted]

Jan 24, 2010
Vkmies said:
Niagro said:
[footnote]All of this is commenting on anime, of course.[/footnote]Ah, the age-old war between subs and dubs.

I choose subs, usually, as bad voice acting can butcher a show.
Excuse me? I don't think I have mentioned anime once with the opening post? I am totally not bashing foreign cinema! I am more bashing myself for not really enjoying asian films all that much. You know there are other asian films than animated?
I'm not at all having a go at you, the remark was solely reflected at my internal musings.
If you mean the footnote, it was used to show my own post was purely about anime, not yours.

I in no way meant, or intended to imply, that it referred to you or your comment.