Dub-Stepping Violinist Lindsey Stomp Earned $6 Million Via YouTube

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
Dub-Stepping Violinist Lindsey Stomp Earned $6 Million Via YouTube

Lindsey Stirling dances and plays the violin at the same time, and in the process has become YouTube's fourth highest grossing personality.

She may not be as big of a star as Forbes Magazine [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/pewdiepie].

With PewDiePie ranked #1 and raking in around $12 million, Stirling is continues to build a name for herself with her entertaining videos - many with a fantasy or video game tie to them - and some damn fine music. We've mentioned her a few times on The Escapist with her video for Dragon Age: Inquisition [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124373-Two-Halo-Fans-Play-Classical-Instruments-During-a-Firefight].

Stirling started making videos in 2007 after no record label would take on her unique talent. Now, reports have her turning them away, as she does quite well on her own, thanks to the loyal fanbase on America's Got Talent [https://www.youtube.com/user/lindseystomp].

"It's a very loyal fan base that wants you to succeed because they found you," Stirling told Forbes. "It wasn't some big radio station or record label that shoved art down someone's throat."

If you aren't familiar with her work (I wasn't), watch and listen and be entertained. I can surely see how she is so popular on YouTube.

Sterling and Peter Hollens tribute to Skyrim
Pokemon Dubstep remix with Sterling and Kurt Hugo Schneider
And this one for fun.

Source: Forbes Magazine [http://www.forbes.com/pictures/gjdm45jih/4-lindsey-stirling-6-mil/]

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
my favorite part of this story is that the labels wanted nothing to do with her before, and now they're beating down her door. hahah screw those corporate bottom-liners. they're destroying real art. the age of information is bringing it back.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
martyrdrebel27 said:
my favorite part of this story is that the labels wanted nothing to do with her before, and now they're beating down her door. hahah screw those corporate bottom-liners. they're destroying real art. the age of information is bringing it back.
As much as I like her and I'm happy for her success I wouldn't call what she does real art. She's just using her skill to play music created by somebody else.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
As much as I like her and I'm happy for her success I wouldn't call what she does real art. She's just using her skill to play music created by somebody else.
yeah, well you're not even a real person, so I don't care. take your augs somewhere else, you damn robot. when reading your opinion, I just kept saying to myself "I never asked for this!"

(jokes man, jokes.)

jamail77

May 21, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
......She also plays original music. Quite frequently actually relatively speaking. I'm not sure how that slipped you by considering they mention record labels rejecting her then clamoring for her when she started doing well. Why would she approach record labels and they her after the fact if she didn't play original music, only covers? If record labels deal in covers, that's news to me, but then again I don't keep up with the music business all that well let alone how it works.

Even if she didn't play her own original music I would definitely consider covers art especially hers. I mean, if she's not changing the arrangement in some way she's adding something to it and if she's not doing that the dancing is most certainly her own (She practically invented violin dancing, or whatever a good name for it would be, as far as I know. Don't think anyone else even does it, even 8 years after she started) and the design of the environment/effects/whatever hers and whoever helped her create it. To so narrowly define art I'm sorry to say this comes off as callously pedantic to me. As if all art needs to start out as an original thought when we all know how much has been borrowed, if not directly copied short of lawsuit or malice, to create something new.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I like her videos, they're energetic and she plays well, dances well and finds nice scenery to do it in.
I haven't watched her original/own stuff, but at least her Zelda videos are good.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
She makes some pretty neat stuff. Worth watching and listening too much more so than some of the big names who make far more than that imo.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
jamail77 said:
Adam Jensen said:
......She also plays original music. Quite frequently actually relatively speaking. I'm not sure how that slipped you by considering they mention record labels rejecting her then clamoring for her when she started doing well. Why would she approach record labels and they her after the fact if she didn't play original music, only covers? If record labels deal in covers, that's news to me, but then again I don't keep up with the music business all that well let alone how it works.

Even if she didn't play her own original music I would definitely consider covers art especially hers. I mean, if she's not changing the arrangement in some way she's adding something to it and if she's not doing that the dancing is most certainly her own (She practically invented violin dancing, or whatever a good name for it would be, as far as I know. Don't think anyone else even does it, even 8 years after she started) and the design of the environment/effects/whatever hers and whoever helped her create it. To so narrowly define art I'm sorry to say this comes off as callously pedantic to me. As if all art needs to start out as an original thought when we all know how much has been borrowed, if not directly copied short of lawsuit or malice, to create something new.
I know she does original work, but let's be honest. That's not what she's famous for. She's famous for cover stuff and it's her fame based on that that record label parasites wish to capitalize on.

Randomvirus

Aug 12, 2009
It would be nice if she'd bother playing in venues that aren't crowded and cramped. Well at least in Boise. Her first tour year, she skipped Boise, second year came to the god awful Knitting Factory. It was crowded cramped, and other people were assholes shoving themselves in front of other people (my wife and I occupied one space and had to fight to keep taller assholes from getting in front of us).

I left that show just furious and pissed because of how bad other people were. She came back through again within the last year, and I think she played an equally crowded venue.

I know smaller acts do that so that they can "sell out" faster. But it's wholly inconsiderate of her fans, and she has tons of fans here.

Anyways, just venting, I like her stuff, even though the shows have left a sour taste from other people. Seems to me she could go a bit bigger...

noobiemcfoob

Mar 18, 2013
Randomvirus said:
It would be nice if she'd bother playing in venues that aren't crowded and cramped. Well at least in Boise. Her first tour year, she skipped Boise, second year came to the god awful Knitting Factory. It was crowded cramped, and other people were assholes shoving themselves in front of other people (my wife and I occupied one space and had to fight to keep taller assholes from getting in front of us).

I left that show just furious and pissed because of how bad other people were. She came back through again within the last year, and I think she played an equally crowded venue.

I know smaller acts do that so that they can "sell out" faster. But it's wholly inconsiderate of her fans, and she has tons of fans here.

Anyways, just venting, I like her stuff, even though the shows have left a sour taste from other people. Seems to me she could go a bit bigger...
She comes through Raleigh and plays some of the medium sized venues. Her shows were crowded, but not in a "I can't enjoy this" kind of way. Live shows attract a crowd. Tis life.

Regardless, her live shows are amazing! Covers, original songs, none of it matters because she just *performs*, and it is gorgeous.

Dying_Jester

Jul 17, 2014
McElroy said:
It's amazing how many people like solo violin. It has always been too squeaky for my taste.
Well, it all depends on the style/genre that's being played, I would think. Though as someone who has always had eyes on/ears for things like bass guitar, bass sections, cellos and double bass I will agree that, usually, violin is a bit high pitched for my tastes as well.