Duke Nukem Forever PR Agency Threatens Sites Over Bad Reviews - UPDATED

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
In other words: "I'm really sorry I told everyone what we intend to do, I apologise you discovered the truth about us I swear you were never supposed to find out. In future threats will be much more underhanded and discrete directly to the editor of each publication"

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
I haven't played it, maybe it is that bad, or maybe the reviewers are the antsy parents who's wayward child has come home late and they just can't wait to rip into them.

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
Well, to be honest the rampant glee that the reviewers have shown in their unanimous panning of DNF does leave a bad taste in my mouth. Even this sites reviewers had decided beforehand that they were going to destroy it, that was made perfectly clear in their podcast. It would have had to have been a cooperative effort between Muhammad, Jesus, Buddha and Dave-the-undercover-alien to overcome that bias.

Why is it suddenly ok for the entire review industry to act like an unfunny Yahtzee?

I haven't played it yet but if it isn't the worst big title game I've played I'll be sorely disappointed.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Jabberwock xeno said:
Daveman said:
I dunno, I haven't played it but can it really be THAT bad? I've heard some seriously savage stuff about the game, including the escapists review. I'm thinking I'll just rent it rather than buy it this time.
I've played it a little.

It's fun, in the same way a match on blood gulch with 15 of your freinds was. ("HOLY SHIT FIF YOU JUST SEE THAT", jokingly cursing at each other, etc).

The issue is that it's mindless fun. In the same way that watching the Micheal bay transfomrers movies is fun if you skip over the human parts. It's all entertainment.

I'd buy it, because it's worth it just for the laughs and to say that you own it, and because gearbox deserves the cash, they are a great dev team that intereacts with their fans.
Yeah, I mean I'm a fan of Gearbox so I'd be up for buying it except there has been a LOT of negative reviews lately. I mean this year there were only 5 games I thought I might buy at release day prices. They were, in order of release date, Bulletstorm, Portal 2, Duke Nukem Forever, Modern Warfare 3 and Skyrim. So far I've neglected all but Portal 2. I really want what it seems to deliver which is over 10 hours of a mix of reasonably different gameplay with a sense of humour and action and which doesn't take itself too seriously, and I'd gladly pay over £30 which would be more than what Steam is asking for. So assuming it delivers all that... then I'd want the dev to see some of that money.

But if you are comparing it to Transformers then I'm going to give it a miss because I couldn't enjoy those movies to save my life.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Chri625w said:
sunburst313 said:
Chri625w said:
Compared to most of you i actually liked the game

/flameshield
You won't get flamed for enjoying DNF. No one cares if you have bad taste. We're slightly more mature than that around here. Most of the time. Well, sometimes. Every once in a while. If we're in a good mood. So you're fine. Just like the dozens of others expressing the same opinion.
I dont think i have bad taste i really enjoy almost any game.
I am extremly open minded at that point.
In threads like "games you couldnt finish because (blank)" i like almost all the games metioned.
Well those i know
It's not even that,

There are always people who enjoy games that the vast majority think sucked, they're outliers.

I fucking loved Gamer (Gerard Butler film) - which was panned unbelievably hard.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
You know, sometimes I wonder if reviewers haven't become too determined to BE over-the-top in their reviews. Yahtzee's whole schtick was exaggerating every last negative detail, but it seems like too many people jump on the bandwagon and start completely eviscerating games that they really only mildly disliked.

This is exacerbated by the fact that this site's podcast made it abundantly clear that the reviewers here were determined to destroy it before they'd even played it, and I doubt everyone eviscerating it on the forums has played it either... but it's bad form to mention that, of course.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Well, one could hope that the reviewers kowtow before the mighty backlash, and start elevating these garbage games to a standing of heavenly glory.

Or, alternatively, we can elevate these reviewers who tear this rubbish apart, and say precisely why it is just that, who in effect punish the industry for producing these awful games.

I'll say again: Thank you, everyone at the The Escapist, for doing what you do, and for being unafraid to rip a bad game in half.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
Its sad really, if this group is responsible for PR of the game since it got back on schedule then they did a really good job. If anything that is the only thing duke nukem's revival did, do pr stunts that worked and where popular among fans. Oh well twitter you've destroyed another person's career.

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
How many microphones does Jim go through a year? thats like the third i saw him throw.

OT:

The PR company obviously isnt all that great considering his quotes. and DNF is shit? well i expected that after a decade of dev time and multiple dev teams working on it, then the original devs crashed and burned and it was finished by another... yeah so they get 1000 pieces to a 1500 piece puzzle and have no idea what goes where so they just put it together and send it off. Yeah i expect it to be shit!

Vault boy Eddie

Feb 18, 2009
This is why I've always said that twitter is fucking stupid, and famous/influential people on twitter is even stupider. They'll write something "out of emotions" and then erase the post(I refuse to say tweet, I don't have a vagina) and post some lame half assed apology. Doesn't anybody vent by just punching a wall, screaming at their cat, masturbating furiously anymore?

silent_noir_67

May 31, 2011
hahahahahaha I love that he manages to include apostrophes in his post but is too lazy to type the extra "e" onto "be".

as for his excuse?

"I've worked hard on something and I want it to succeed" (paraphrasing of course) doesn't really cut it since I can safely say that EVERYONE works hard on stuff and EVERYONE wants their products to succeed...getting pissed at reviews who collectively seem to think that the game was bad won't do anything you want it to.

I'm glad that the agency is no longer dealing with 2K. they acted unprofessional and they should be treated as unprofessionals.

As for DNF I don't plan to play it. The amount of hype that has been put into that game is meticulous, and a GREAT game couldn't live up to it, much less the mediocre-at-best, really-bad-at-worst game that DNF is being reviewed as.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Sylocat said:
You know, sometimes I wonder if reviewers haven't become too determined to BE over-the-top in their reviews. Yahtzee's whole schtick was exaggerating every last negative detail, but it seems like too many people jump on the bandwagon and start completely eviscerating games that they really only mildly disliked.

This is exacerbated by the fact that this site's podcast made it abundantly clear that the reviewers here were determined to destroy it before they'd even played it, and I doubt everyone eviscerating it on the forums has played it either... but it's bad form to mention that, of course.
I may be wrong, but I don't think Russ was one of the ones to say that in the podcast. I know a couple of them did, but I didn't think he was one of them. Of course, I had it on in the background while I did other things, so I may have missed it.

I do think it's a bit arrogant to think that everyone complaining about it hasn't played it. I'd be surprised if most didn't play it, just given the fact that a large chunk of people said things like "I know the game's going to suck, but I'm going to buy it because it's Duke." Of course, there's no way to prove one or the other. I know my opinion of it's based solely on the demo, and I found it to be pretty much how everyone else is saying it is based off that... dull shooter gameplay with humor that falls flat. Of course, the humor part of it is very subjective, as there are a lot of popular comedy-based media that many people think is hilarious that I find just plain stupid.

Alucard788 said:
MasochisticMuse said:
Alucard788 said:
MasochisticMuse said:
So the juvenile developers of a juvenile game act juvenile when that game isn't well received?

We're surprised?
Not only immature, but have some seriously disturbing issues with women...like severely disturbing...like the really should talk to someone about it.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/reviews/2011/06/duke-nukem-forever-review-barely-playable-unfunny-and-rampantly-offensive.ars

This one of my favorite verbal skewerings of the game so far.^
That's another thing. So many people got their panties in a bunch about the whole "capture the babe" and woman-slapping, and their public relations and supporters put a great deal of effort into convincing the public that the game wasn't misogynist... And then what do I see in Russ Pitts video supplement? A bunch of big-titted, bound, tortured, writhing, women hanging from the ceiling, and disembodied slappable tits.

I mean, it's one thing to have a couple hot school girl twins give your character a blow job. Sure, it's trashy, but it's also kind of funny, and not necessarily misogynist (though definitely a little sexist). But I take serious issue with presenting tortured women as sexy. Women in pain are not "hot", nor should they be. That's fucked. And disembodied slappable tits? As if women aren't reduced to mere body parts often enough.
Exactly! Not to mention the entire hive with sexual moans overplayed with the sounds of crying...on and the exploding pregnant women.

It's not gallows humor..it's not Silent hill horror...it's not even Amnesia style disturbing...it's just plain sick.
Seriously? Reading that article... it made me realize just how much this game really shouldn't have come out at all, let alone sell as much as it did. The part where your forced to kill women just to advance while they beg for their lives just sounds horrible. How could anyone find that funny? Maybe there's some context to it that makes it better, but I highly doubt it. I can deal with slappable disembodied breasts, and throwing feces around for fun, and I can even understand the whole "capture the babe" thing to a degree, but that... it just seems to go too far, and will likely be a stain on gaming like Postal 2.

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
Wow, that update makes 2K cooler in my book. I still won't buy Duke obviously, because dear god it looked awful this entire time.

darkcommanderq

Sep 14, 2010
lolz. Did you not realize that gamers are the most jaded and cynical group that consumes media? If you make a shit game, dont expect gamers let along game journalists to be nice to it. We get bombarded with so much garbageware that if you want a title to float above the waters of mediocrity youd better
A: Understand your audience
and
B: Think before you speak. I wouldnt be surprised if no one in the agency even played the game before calling the critics on it.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
I find it hilarious that the PR agency got fired over this. It's also fair enough to fire them, since it's not up to the PR agency to give threats like this and it'd only reflect badly on the publisher and developer. Even if the comments were deleted after, which only shows they're unprofessional.

norwegian-guy

Jan 17, 2011
PrinceofPersia said:
The main problem here is that taste, whether in food or entertainment, is entirely subjective. That said Duke's latest game is not to my taste in entertainment. I also like the option of renting games first before you buy them, took a whole lot of stress off my back.
Not exactly. There's a term called inter-subjectivity. it's the closest thing we get to objectivity in the field, but it renders the "it's completley up to taste"-argument somewhat invalid.
Also, I can't speak for all reviewers, but good reviewers are for the most part trying to be as analytic as possible when reviewing something.