Dumb place names

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
We all know at least one. I'm looking at you, Albuquerque. I'm also looking at Bell End, Boghead, Muff and Twatt, because maturity continues to elude me.

[hr]

So, cringe-inducing place names are burned into your memory?

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Intercourse, Pennsylvania comes to mind. And Fertility, Pennsylvania. And Mount Joy... Pennsylvania. And Leacock-Leola-Bareville. In Pennsylvania. And Lititz, Pennsylvania. And Blue Ball, Pennsylvania.

... We Pennsylvanians may have a problem.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
AccursedTheory said:
Intercourse, Pennsylvania comes to mind. And Fertility, Pennsylvania. And Mount Joy... Pennsylvania. And Leacock-Leola-Bareville. In Pennsylvania. And Lititz, Pennsylvania. And Blue Ball, Pennsylvania.

... We Pennsylvanians may have a problem.
You forgot Butztown and King of Prussia.

But yeah, of all the city names I see at work that are god awful, New York, Pennsylvania, and Florida are the absolute worse. Some examples; Land O' Lakes, FL, Ozone Park, NY, Kissimmee, Fl, and about a dozen others I can't recall at this moment.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
Cockermouth. It floods literally every year now, and its called Cockermouth. Why the fuck do people still live there?

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Fucking [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fucking,_Austria] is a pretty dumb name for a town. Not sure who thought that was a good idea. I hear they have a high birth rate for some odd reason.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
There's a tiny community not too far from where I live named Balzac, a name inevitably followed by a childish giggle and a muttered 'hah, ball-sack' on my part because I have the maturity of a five year old apparently.

Tayh

Apr 6, 2009
Shamelessly stolen from qdb.us:
(meander) Newfoundland is like calling a place Untitled Document
(meander) i bet its the default name for discovered land
(meander) and they just clicked Ok
(meander) now all other countries have to start out as Newfoundland 2

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
Dildo, Newfoundland. Because those Newfies are a crazy bunch.

Seriously, Wikipedia says the name goes back to like 1711... but so does the word dildo with the meaning we all know.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
In Kharkiv Oblast (Kharkiv District, if you will) there's a settlement called Pekelne. it'd be all right, if in Ukrainian it wouldn't mean Infernal.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Zontar said:
Fucking [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fucking,_Austria] is a pretty dumb name for a town. Not sure who thought that was a good idea. I hear they have a high birth rate for some odd reason.
And tourists keep nicking their signs.

Tayh said:
Shamelessly stolen from qdb.us:
(meander) Newfoundland is like calling a place Untitled Document
(meander) i bet its the default name for discovered land
(meander) and they just clicked Ok
(meander) now all other countries have to start out as Newfoundland 2
Naples comes from Neopolis, "New City", which used to be a common name for cities.

Personally, I wonder why it's called "New South Wales". It's in the south, and it's new to the person naming it, but how is it anything like Wales?

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
Level 7 Dragon said:
Graz, which means filth and Mussorka, which means trash can.
Both are historical oldies: one is called for black soils around, and other one originally meant something like "lakeland" (mu for land, sor for small lake, pre-russian stuff; the term trash - "мусор" - is a result of long process of word meaning changes).

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
A village in Finland called Myrkky. This is also the Finnish word for 'poison'.

Also apparently a country in South America is called U r gay, but I'm not sure that's legit.

Buckets

May 1, 2014
There is a village near us called Wetwang. Must have been a weird council meeting when that was named.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Here's a few Irish ones that always make me giggle...

Muff
Nobber
Termonfeckin
Hackballs Cross
Bastardstown
Cum

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
There's a few, Walla Walla, Coucamunga, BUT.
There's a city called Seattle. Makes me laugh every time.