Dumb place names

Xeros

Aug 13, 2008
AccursedTheory said:
Blue Ball, Pennsylvania.

... We Pennsylvanians may have a problem.
Was about to ask if you were referring to Blue Bell, PA, but after a quick Google search; I'll be damned... we do have a problem.

OT: Was gonna throw Intercourse, PA into the hat, but I've been beaten to the punch. Welcome to Pennsylvania, folks.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
There are three small communities/areas in Victoria Australia named as such. Bung Bong, Wooden Bong and Titty Bong.

I always imagine some stoned douchebag just naming places after things in life he liked best lol

Tayh

Apr 6, 2009
McElroy said:
Also apparently a country in South America is called U r gay, but I'm not sure that's legit.
There's a country called Uruguay, so unless you got a severe case of dyslexia or saw a certain Simpsons episode, that's a stretch.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Tayh said:
McElroy said:
Also apparently a country in South America is called U r gay, but I'm not sure that's legit.
There's a country called Uruguay, so unless you got a severe case of dyslexia or saw a certain Simpsons episode, that's a stretch.
Yeah, sure. What's next? A planet called Uranuays?

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
Not a rude one, but I always thought Westward Ho! Was a dumb name. Yes, the exclamation mark is actually part of the name.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
The Eupho Guy said:
WolfThomas said:
I live in Wangaratta.
Its a small world, I was born there.

OT: A couple more from Australia: Gluepot, South Australia and Cockburn, South Australia.
Not to mention, the word "Australia" comes from the Latin for south. So that's South Southia, next to the much bigger state of West Southia and what should have been North Southia except it's a territory not a state.

East Timor has a similar thing going on.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
LongAndShort said:
WolfThomas said:
I live in Wangaratta.
I feel like all we need to do is produce a map of Australia and that'd be it. Just, done.
Wagga Wagga, Dubbo, Paramatta, Woodbridge. To be fair, a bunch of them are taken from Aboriginal names, and sound weird in English, and most of the rest are regular British style names, Gagebrook, Lauderdale, Tranmere. But seriously, Dubbo, like what the hell guys.

My vote's for the home state-Tasmania. We had it made, we were called "Van Diemen's Land". Like, you don't get more badass names than that, it's literally pronounced "Van Demon's Land", and then somehow we lost that. A tragedy beyond compare.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Well, in Belgium we have Reet, Kontich and Aartselaar. All 3 names more or less contain a Dutch word for 'ass'. They are also located closely together and when you draw lines between them on a map, it forms a triangle, which earned them the nickname 'the Anal Triangle'.

Beside them we also have Aarschot (ass-shot) and Beerschot (feces-shot).

I also know there's a French place called Anus and a Dutch place called Beffe (beffen is Dutch slang for cunnilingus).

beyondbrainmatter said:
-Batman, Turkey.
I especially like this one because most of the time, those places with silly (sounding) names are villages or small towns, but Batman is a city with some 250.000 inhabitants.

That's right, there are a quarter million Batmen and -women[footnote]Which is probably not what inhabitants of Batman are called, but they should be.[/footnote] out there.

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
Well in Denmark (Jutland to be more precise), we have a town called "Lem" and one called "Tarm".

"Lem" in Danish can be translated to "member" (as in, a certain part of the male anatomy), and "Tarm" translates into "intestine".

They are 18.4km away from each other (an 18 minute drive, so quite close).

And now I've no idea what they were thinking when they named those towns.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Welcome to Missouri. Where would you like to stay?

Peculiar
Clever
Humansville
Sleeper
Midway
Hermann
Bland
Conception
Doolittle
Uranus

And to confuse the geographically challenged:

Cuba
Columbia
Mexico
Texas
Glasgow
Oregon
Salem
Vienna
Cairo
Lebanon
Essex
Washington
Kansas City

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
Middletown, Ohio. It isn't even in the middle of Ohio.

Also Oregon, Ohio. We couldn't think of a name, so we called it a state.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
2 pages and NO ONE has pointed out Lake Titicaca?

It's a lake named after breasts and poo... >.>

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
Well there are mountains in the us called The Grand Tetons, which in the original French are "Le Grand Teton" which literally translates to "The big tits".

Although nothing beats Mount Buggery in Australia. That's just beautiful.

Reno, Nevada isn't a silly one, but the town right next to it is Sparks, Nevada, which leads to this saying: "Reno is so close to hell you can see Sparks."