Dungeon Fighter returns to the west!

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
So way back in the dark ages of 2009, there existed a F2P MMO called Dungeon Fighter Online, or DFO for short. know as Dungeon and Fighter in its native Korea where it was (and still is) one of the most popular games in existence, it was created by a Korean company called neople and published by a shit company called Nexon NA. The game could be compared to Castle Crashers or Dragon's Crown: a 2d beat-em-up with RPG elements, however DFO featured immensely more variety in its content and more depth in its RPG elements than this type of game normally does (for example there were nine playable characters, each with 4 subclasses that radically alter the way the class is played), not to mention a wonderful soundtrack.

Unfortunately it was too good to last, and Nexon, apparently deciding they needed more resources for pay2win hackfest combat arms, strangled the life out of DFO, stopping updates, refusing to deal with hackers or answer support Emails, and just generally doing their best to turn what was once a decent playerbase for a MMO not name World of Warcraft into a ghost town. And as of April 2013 they were successful and the game was shut down in the US. It remained popular in Korea, but account creation there requires both a valid Korean SSN and Phone number, keeping the game out of reach for western fans.

But now that is changing. The game's developer has decided to bring the game back to the west, this time forgoing a publisher entirely. The game will be in open Beta phase 1 till April 13, this phase is expected to be a full on bughunt and accordingly the cash shop will be disabled for its duration. Once the game transitions to phase 2 the cash shop will be open, however there are no plans to wipe progress between phases.

So anyone else hype for this? Any fond memories of the original run? Have any questions? AMA.

Links:
Official site and download: http://www.dfoneople.com/
Official beginer's guide: http://download.dfoneople.com/guide/DFOguidebook.pdf
r/DFO: http://www.reddit.com/r/DFO/
DFO Nexus(fansite): http://www.dfonexus.com/
DFO Core (another fansite): http://forums.dfocore.com/
Wiki(some information may be out of date): http://wiki.dfo-world.com/
Part 1 of a playlist containing most of the game's music: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD4C56FDCCD521DD8
Part 2 of said playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhYt_W7FHOh7tM2Lr3lzFVXY8v90D0YGb

MerlinCross

Apr 22, 2011
Get Hype. One of the first MMOs I played. Slayer class represent. Also I think we're getting the female Slayer class too so woo!

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Depending on the ammount of time, I may check it out. Always wanted to make either Monk or Exorcist.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Known about this for awhile, ^^ was even in the alpha test a few months back so I've been waiting a while for tomorrow.

been waiting for far to long to roll a fem Slayer

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
I never got to try it out before it was closed down.

Looked real interesting and fun.

What would be the best class to start with for a beginner?

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
Hey, maybe this time they won't say "fuck you" to brazilian players and actually let me play the damn thing.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I remember this game! Maybe I'll give it a whirl...

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
I played it back when it was first coming out. When I was into Nexon's crappy games. I hope Neople makes it work out better this time, because DFO deserves better than how Nexon handled it.

I've got a group that's pretty invested in Nexon games in general even if they haven't played them much in a while (kinda like me) so I'll probably play it with them.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
MerlinCross said:
Also I think we're getting the female Slayer class too so woo!
Sadly, data mining the predownload revealed that unless they sneak her in at zero hour F. Slayer won't be in phase 1 of beta. Hopefuly she shows up in phase 2 along with F. gunner second awakenings. Kunoichi is in however which is cool and unexpected.
Evilsanta said:
I don't remember any of the classes being super hard to play, but I would avoid the Creator and Dark Knight at first as they are weird gimmick classes that play radically different to everything else (to the point of having different control layouts), but other than that go with whatever sounds fun. If you want a recommendation I would go with anyone who uses plate or heavy armor, simply because that way your mistakes get punished less, and avoid the sub-classes reliant on long slightly fighting game-esque physical combos (ranger, Blade master, striker, rouge) until you have mastered the basics.
Diablo2000 said:
Hey, maybe this time they won't say "fuck you" to brazilian players and actually let me play the damn thing.
Well they promised no region locking outside of what is needed to avoid legal trouble with publishers (i.e DFO global won't be playable anywhere there is a publishing deal already in place, meaning Korea, Japan, and China), but obviously I can't make any promises about reasonable ping.

InfinityX

Jul 14, 2013
oh man its out? (at least the public beta) I played it a long time ago and really enjoyed it. I tried the slayer and M.Fighter. However, I didn't really have anyone to play it with.
that being said, I was very disappointed when I heard it got shut down, but definitely going to give it another shot now.

The only thing I cant seem to find info on, is the cash shop. will it be identical to the nexon one? will it be cheaper? will there be random elements (like RNG boxes)? or timed cosmetics (only wearing a costume for a week, e.g like Dragon Nest)? I hope that since they are not under nexon anymore (or anyone I think?) that they would make a slightly more consumer friendly one

Evilsanta said:
While I've only played a VERY long time ago, I believe the beginner friendly one was the M.Slayer (I forget which adv class) and the Priest. They had good skills and high health. But again, don't know how much it changed since then.

MerlinCross

Apr 22, 2011
Evilsanta said:
major_chaos said:
InfinityX said:
Thanks for the tips.
Here's another.

Do not start off as a Gunner

Maybe even Mage but Gunners play very differently than the rest of the classes. Most classes are a variation of run up and hit things. Gunners do not want to go up and hit things they want to stay back and shoot things. They are very keep away based and at the start have narrow hit boxes on their attacks. This makes them a little harder to play as at first.

Mind you this is my own opinion and experience along with a few friends(I'd say about 5) so this is by no means what every thinks, you mileage may vary.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
MerlinCross said:
Evilsanta said:
major_chaos said:
InfinityX said:
Thanks for the tips.
Here's another.

Do not start off as a Gunner

Maybe even Mage but Gunners play very differently than the rest of the classes. Most classes are a variation of run up and hit things. Gunners do not want to go up and hit things they want to stay back and shoot things. They are very keep away based and at the start have narrow hit boxes on their attacks. This makes them a little harder to play as at first.

Mind you this is my own opinion and experience along with a few friends(I'd say about 5) so this is by no means what every thinks, you mileage may vary.
On the contrary, I would say 'Pick Gunner'. Basically all you do is stand on the edge of the screen and mash for gatling/flamethrower/launcher/grenades until the map is cleared. Gunner is pretty hilariously overpowered if you play to it's strengths.

What I would say is don't play Monk/Infighter unless you have a controller. The character plays an entirely different game from the rest of the cast (IE like an actual fighting game character). Being able to chain the inputs together is way easier on a controller compared to the keyboard.

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
I really enjoyed it but didn't get past level 9. I could do PvP but stood no chance, and I had to grind way too much to make any progress. I'll give it another whirl since I just downloaded and deleted Elsword thinking it looked like it would be similar and fun. It was not fun.

Mydnyght

Feb 17, 2010
ABOUT. FUCKING. TIME.

I more or less had a blast with DFO. I had every awakened class available in the North American version before its untimely demise. That was 32 characters! (needed two accounts for that...) Yeah, that shows I played it a LOT.

I guess my favorite character class was the Necromancer (awakens into Defiler), with the Witch (awakens into Trickster) at a close second. Or would that be the other way around? Not sure... Anyway, I figure the Witch and the Necromancer were my favorites because those were the only ones I reached level 70 as.

Pirate Of PC Master race

Rambles about half of the time
Jun 14, 2013
I'd love to play, well known game and all, but there is only one reason that I won't.

Neople.
If you didn't know, Neople IS (technically speaking, owned by) Nexon.

When the time comes they will suck the blood and soul out of the game.(and everyone with it)
Nexon had done it countless times before and will do it again.

You have been warned.

P.S:
*grumble grumble*
Never forget August 11th, 2011, South Korea.

Pirate Of PC Master race

Rambles about half of the time
Jun 14, 2013
Pirate Of PC Master race said:
I'd love to play, well known game and all, but there is only one reason that I won't.

Neople.
If you didn't know, Neople IS (technically speaking, owned by) Nexon.
This is probably the first time for me to be scared off by the publisher despite the praises the game gets.

When the time comes they will suck the blood and soul out of the game.(and everyone with it)
Nexon had done it countless times before and will do it again.

You have been warned.

P.S:
*grumble grumble*
Never forget August 11th, 2011, South Korea.