Dungeon Siege III Review

Ghored

Mar 15, 2010
I played the demo of the game. I'm pretty sure Odo said "Jeyne Kessynder" around seven or eight times.

And yeah, the voice acting really could have used a ton of work.

Badwolf14

Aug 6, 2010
the whole play with a buddy but buddy doesn't get any really good rewards and helps make your job easier reminds me of Dawn of War 2.....in the first part your buddy would take control of half of your squad (2 units) and be able to upgrade and equip them as he/she sees fit, but thats about it no reward for them and no xp, in the first expansion however i think they added achievements for helping out a friend so something to look forward to (i dont know what else is given because i mainly soloed it)...I also don't know about the most recent expansion, but possibly same deal, help a buddy out beat levels and don't gain anything but achievements out of it for beating so many levels as second player.....again I dont know what other benefits chaos rising and retribution give....but the whole "second player is just a support player to help make your job easier" reminded me of dawn of war 2 because basically the same thing happened there....might it possibly be a growing trend?

May 25, 2010
Levethian said:
Not sure why someone would play this on PC, with so many superior options out there. Nice that consoles finally have a Diablo-clone though. (I know x360 has Torchlight, but beyond that?...)
There's also Sacred 2. That game was pretty good, too.

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
Nothing about how 90% of each character's armor looks the same? That's kind of a big deal in a game that is primarily about finding cool loot. That epic chest piece doesn't seem quite as epic if it looks the same as your starting chest piece.

crystalsnow

Aug 25, 2009
Considering the original devs handed the series over to Square Enix, I wasn't expecting too much. Besides, nothing will ever beat the original + expansion pack.

EDIT: DS1/LoA is still worth playing if you never have, it's probably better than this game, although graphics will obviously be dated. Story is not even worth paying attention to, you can pretty much skip everything npcs tell you, but everything else if fantastic. Playing solo on the multiplayer map Utraean Peninsula is also a blast.

Red Albatross

Jun 11, 2009
I was so excited about this game, too - although when a much-beloved franchise switches developers, the results are rarely good (Here's looking at you, KoToR). I should have expected this, but all the same, I'm still disappointed. It's not a bad game, it's just missing the simple charm that I liked about the first two.

Oh well, back to Torchlight for my dungeon-crawling needs, I suppose.

Edit: brownie points for Obsidian not completely crippling the game with bugs, though! I don't know whether to say that it's a good start, or that it's a sad state of affairs when we're praising a game for working like it's supposed to.

WithmirTeigh

Jun 21, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
What I want to know is why the previous Dungeon Siege games on Steam are more expensive than Dungeon Siege III. You know 'cause I figured since I have never played a Dungeon Siege game before I'd go back and play the previous one first, before trying this one.
The previous games are only offered if you buy the deluxe dungeon siege 3 so that 54.99 is for dungeon siege 1-3
As someone else said though I wouldn't go out and buy the other 2 as they are dated and have nothing to do with this recent one in story and gameplay

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
A shame DS3 is crap..well....its better than Space siege... (I think....SS was not too bad if you go at it like a classic PC Iso shooter like no Crusader no remorse)..but that's not saying much. Hell DS1 to this day is better than any new bioware game and DS2 is just a tiny bit better than ME2 and DA2.....by better I mean they did not fck the mechanics in the ass for the mindless masses....they just probed around a bit.....DS1 is still the best!

Necrofudge

May 17, 2009
Hearing that it's good for "solo hack-n-slash fun" is kind of disappointing.
I mean, the commercials keep saying that it's meant for co-op. What a shame...

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
Every hack'n'slash now looks heavily wow influenced to my eyes. It's the colours and designs mainly.

And more fast shooting guns in fantasy, siiiiiiigh.

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
I just got done playing the entire game all the way through (on the PC).

It's pretty typical of a mediocre game and a terrible console port to boot. It also exemplifies how the technology and user interface of console games are hindering the development of modern gaming. Everything from the poor ability mapping scheme, which dovetails into the limited ability selection, dumbed down inventory management and combat "action" mechanics can be directly attributed to both the "virtues" and obvious limitations of the console controller.

Technically, this game is also not impressive. I have a 4.3 ghz computer, 16 gb ram, dual ati 6xxx series cards in crossfire... and it's totally wasted on this game. I could run it on an ipod. Yes, not an ipad, a bloody ipod.

I have mixed feeling about this game. On one hand I want to applaud Obsidian for releasing a game that didn't cause a million computers to scream out in terror as they were forcibly rebooted due to BSOD - but on the other hand, this game is a shitty slap in the face to an already "average" action rpg franchise.

Can anyone tell me if Chris Taylor actually had anything to do with this? If so, was he just selling out to try to a Wal-Mart best seller, like heaps of other shovelware out there, or did he actually think this would be a good game?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Ryu890 said:
If I may offer a critique.....you're style of reviewing is a bit lackluster. To be frank, every time you said 'I wanted to shake the game's shoulders', I felt like shaking YOUR shoulders for repeating your rather lame joke.

In short, there are two basic 'styles' of reviewing I've seen. The first, is the Yhatzee approach. Tons of jokes, make us laugh, and usually bag on a game more then necessary. The second is the IGN or Gamesweasel approach, wherein you come accross as an informative, respectable informist, and tell us about the game.

So eiather get some better jokes, or cut them alltogether. ITs just...lame if you half-heartedly do one or the other.

Please know that I don't do this for the sake of trolling. I say this purely for your benefit. Feel free to ignore all I've said. Its your choice.
No wonder you didn't laugh - it wasn't meant to be funny.

Our videos are meant to supplement our written reviews, so if you hate my style so much, you can always just read.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
This game deserves praise for being THE FIRST Obsidian game where actual Q&A staff were involved. Seriously, in a full playthrough I didn't run into a single bug or glitch. The game actually feels polished.

The downside is that it lacks the usual touch of creativity Obsidian is known for and is a bit bland. Fun and not bad, but bland. Not sure if this is a step forward or not...

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
Ryu890 said:
If I may offer a critique.....you're style of reviewing is a bit lackluster. To be frank, every time you said 'I wanted to shake the game's shoulders', I felt like shaking YOUR shoulders for repeating your rather lame joke.

In short, there are two basic 'styles' of reviewing I've seen. The first, is the Yhatzee approach. Tons of jokes, make us laugh, and usually bag on a game more then necessary. The second is the IGN or Gamesweasel approach, wherein you come accross as an informative, respectable informist, and tell us about the game.

So eiather get some better jokes, or cut them alltogether. ITs just...lame if you half-heartedly do one or the other.

Please know that I don't do this for the sake of trolling. I say this purely for your benefit. Feel free to ignore all I've said. Its your choice.
No wonder you didn't laugh - it wasn't meant to be funny.

Our videos are meant to supplement our written reviews, so if you hate my style so much, you can always just read.
It's okay Susan... Lisa Foiles isn't particularly funny either, but people still watch her videos... oh I get it.

:)