Dungeons and Dragons- DM Tips

EboMan7x

Jul 20, 2009
My fellow Escapists:

In a month or so I will be starting a Dungeons and Dragons club at my High school. I've played DND before, and I know that I like it. However, seeing as I'm the one starting the club, it has fallen to me to be the Dungeon Master.

I've read up on what the official 4th edition books say about being a Dungeon Master, but I'm still a little worried. I was hoping if you have DM'd before you could offer some advice. Or if you haven't DM'd, please offer advice or stories about your favorite DM. Or if you're feeling trolly, feel free to cuss me out for using 4th edition.

Aug 17, 2010
I would try to look at "Check for Traps" first off, as it can help a lot.

Second, go to Wizards of the Coast's site, and look at some of the articles.

It should help.

Geekiest

Jan 21, 2011
I will also mention: Don't plan too much.

The players will invariably think of something so ridiculous that you couldn't possibly have planned for it. Stay fluid when it comes to your story and have a lot of segues and options lying around if they're trying for a shortcut. And don't beat them down for creative solutions and turn into a brick wall. Rather, try making the brick wall they're trying to beat their way through because they don't want to go down your beautifully designed dark and scary path a Gargoyle.

Jaded Scribe

Mar 29, 2010
I haven't DMed myself, but my favorite DMs are ones that don't stick slavishly to the script.

Creating an enjoyable experience is better than sticking hard to the rules. For example, if you're running a skill check, and someone wants to use a skill that isn't listed as being "acceptable" but they can create a good justification for how it works, let them do it.

Also, remember to consider how the creatures you control would act. A non-sentient animal may or may not attack the creature that marked him instead of take an attack on a nearer target. Intelligent creatures may break and run away if the fight isn't going well for them.

But at the same time, don't be a jerk. You aren't against the player. If the level 1 wizard has 1 hit point left, and the 3rd level fighter isn't even bloodied, give the wizard a chance to survive. This is usually the hardest line to walk. You don't want to target the weaker players and make them suffer, but at the same time, if they are being stupid and reckless, then you shouldn't let them get away with that either.

Gruchul

Aug 30, 2009
Geekiest said:

The players will invariably think of something so ridiculous that you couldn't possibly have planned for it. Stay fluid when it comes to your story and have a lot of segues and options lying around if they're trying for a shortcut. And don't beat them down for creative solutions and turn into a brick wall. Rather, try making the brick wall they're trying to beat their way through because they don't want to go down your beautifully designed dark and scary path a Gargoyle.
I will add to this: make sure to plan a bit
Sometimes players need direction to an extent and a plan can be a great substitute when your imagination fails you on the spot. I like to have a contingency plan.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
I'm personally not a fan of the, "playing along in someone else's story" kind of dm'ing. For instance the last group I played with had a gm who basically was telling a story, which I had little to no involvement in what was going on. Also, don't let your group grow beyond 7 people unless you have a second gm. Additionally I don't recommend having other people come over that wont be playing. They can be really disruptive and annoying when you're trying to do a game.

As for the actual game, I was reading an article on here that I agree with. Basically the person who wrote it suggested having a living world, more or less with at least a quick back story for a bunch of locations and letting players explore it on their own (have events going on in the world, that more than likely will require or get the players attention). I could be wrong about all of this, just posting my two cents really.

darth.pixie

Jan 20, 2011
Make a continous plan, yet be prepared to butcher it at need. Players are extremely adventurous and will take everything off rails. Be flexible about it. Don't be too harsh but don't allow things to go too far. They need loot to stay focused but too much and it loses its value.

If you haven't read DM of the Ring, do so. It's fun and it shows some of the things adventurers do. Don't get pissed off or angry when they foil your plans in seconds and don't get too attached to villains.

Nightmonger

Jul 1, 2010
I recommend a podcast called Critical Hit by the major spoilers crew it had a run of about 5 episodes out of it's current 80 or so that were dedicated to new DM's from the start of the concept stages all the way to running the game are covered . Even if that isn't helpful the main series is a great laugh and will provide you with lots of ideas for running skill encounters and the like not to mention the adventures of the Torq and the Torqltonnes are engaging and hilarious at the same time

Geekiest

Jan 21, 2011
Gruchul said:
Geekiest said:

I will add to this: make sure to plan a bit
Sometimes players need direction to an extent and a plan can be a great substitute when your imagination fails you on the spot. I like to have a contingency plan.
I meant merely: Don't have a map for exactly what's going to happen, and don't plan for "assuming they'll do this, this, or this." It's better to have certain scenes in mind and ways to execute them and tie them together if necessary rather than a linear plotting out of exactly what you're going to have them do.

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
Plan a few ways to branch the story. Avoid railroading and be prepared to improvise. End on a high note, with a cliffhanger. Complement combat with skill challenges for more variety.

Paksenarrion

Mar 13, 2009
Allow your players to use Monty Python references. There's nothing like hearing, "See the violence inherent in the system! Help! Help! I'm being repressed!" to perk up a gaming session.

Also, if one of the players has to RP a romance scene with a crucial NPC in order to gain further information about a mission, give them bonus XP if they work this in:

Double the bonus XP if they work in the creepy touch at the end.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
I've DM'd on occasion and I've learned from mistakes that I will attempt to pass on to you:

ONE - Plan Ahead... A LOT. I say this because if you fall behind because of lots of school work or you're addicted to a new game, it's helpful to have something to work with that you planned ahead. However, have contingency plans in case the players do something other than what you had intended them to do. Note, I don't like the idea of railroading, but if you want to introduce certain elements to the game or if you're playing with amateur players, railroading is more than acceptable. Plus, if they're about to do something you didn't want them to do until MUCH later, just make it so they have to do something else now. They capture a guy to make him give information, have him carrying explosives that go off at the press of a button. Teach them to try something like that.

TWO - Determine who is what in your group of players. And I don't mean who is the wizard. Who is the warrior, etc etc. I mean who is the guy that looks for all the loop-holes and tries to make an OverPowered character? Who is the Rule-Nazi that will slow the game down by pointing out something that YOU or any other player overlooked? Who is the uncreative guy that will make a character based on burning things all the time in every game you make? Don't let these players play, or force restrictions on them to make them shut the fuck up. I've played with these people and they are terrible to play with.

THREE - Have a story that keeps players interested. This is based more on my time playing rather than DMing. One guy who DM'd for us (in D&D and GURPS) likes to do really bland and generic story lines for most of his games. A lot of the time, he'll come up with some anti-YOU team (which stopped being original ages ago). You know what badguy I designed? A character who's abilities are all stemmed from Fear, Fear-like abilities, and other similar traits. He's weak as shit but will have tons of goons kicking your ass while you are stuck with lower stats and other problems because of those effects. But it's not just that. Make everything the players do feel important and try to keep them all involved. This brings me to my fourth point:

FOUR - DON'T LET THE SPLIT UP FOR ANY REASON UNLESS YOU HAVE NO CHOICE! One time I was bored with the way a game was going and decided I'd call on one of the group and see if he'd like to betray his team and become a villainous character and work with my NPC's to kill his team. He was more than happy to do so as he was the psychotic guy that liked to burn things anyway. Alas, splitting the characters means splitting attention and jumping between groups. This takes a lot of time away from actually doing anything and pisses a lot of people off. It was a good idea at first, but it became a problem. I just don't advise doing it.

FIVE - Have fun. If it stops being fun, stop playing. Once you stop having fun, the game, as a whole falls apart and the players will lose interesting once you do because by this point, you'll be putting less effort in your game. Don't let it happen, if it does, just quit.

SIX - Don't be a sore loser (last one). I've played with this one guy who always gets pissed whenever the game doesn't go his way (ANY GAME). We play a stage he doesn't like, he sulks. We play a game and (by chance) we're forced to attack him all the time, he whines. He doesn't like to lose and when he has DM'd, it shows. It's not our fault he sucks. He just doesn't know how to have fun with the game, making it unbearable for all of us. Personally, I'd rather have fun with the Roleplaying than be upset about losing combat. Shit happens. Bad rolls. Good rolls. In the end, I may lose the battles, but I win the war if they piss off the shop-keepers I have to roleplay as in ever village. Checkmate.

Gruchul

Aug 30, 2009
Geekiest said:
I meant merely: Don't have a map for exactly what's going to happen, and don't plan for "assuming they'll do this, this, or this." It's better to have certain scenes in mind and ways to execute them and tie them together if necessary rather than a linear plotting out of exactly what you're going to have them do.
I know, I was meaning to add rather than override! :)
I made the mistake of not planning at all one time. I figured the players would enjoy the total freedom more than they actually did. That was a slow, slow game and what felt like a very long night. Having said that, I have friends who need months and seconds to prepare, so a lot of it comes down to what you're comfortable with.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Jfswift said:
I'm personally not a fan of the, "playing along in someone else's story" kind of dm'ing. For instance the last group I played with had a gm who basically was telling a story, which I had little to no involvement in what was going on. Also, don't let your group grow beyond 7 people unless you have a second gm. Additionally I don't recommend having other people come over that wont be playing. They can be really disruptive and annoying when you're trying to do a game.

As for the actual game, I was reading an article on here that I agree with. Basically the person who wrote it suggested having a living world, more or less with at least a quick back story for a bunch of locations and letting players explore it on their own (have events going on in the world, that more than likely will require or get the players attention). I could be wrong about all of this, just posting my two cents really.
Agreed, but I'd say don't even attempt having a Co-DM. I tried that once. We had... different ideas of where we wanted to take the campaign. He had a boring idea in mind. When I realized I didn't have much say other than a few characters and ideas, I decided to make gags out of certain things which livened it up a bit. A very schizophrenic campaign it was.

Zacharine

Apr 17, 2009
In addition to previous mentioned good tips, I give you this one:

If you plan to make/have large-impact events ingame, make sure the players feel the effcts and have proper warning.

That is to say, wars increase prices and make people worried - also affects the rumour-mill in towns. Most likely, before the war, there have been news of worsening relations, rumours of troop movements, increased price in durable rations and weapons and so forth.

A mad wizard rising up from nowhere and summoning an army of skeletons will make the more estaclished orders active and intriqued - you could expect several paladins for example to be travelling to or visiting the area.

What I mean with this is: Notable events never happen without warning, and never without impact. Don't just spring large armies without warning on the town they are staying at, don't just make large groups of goblins or kobolds migrate nearby for a convenient dungeon and advertise it as such - rather have NPC spread stories of killed and stolen kattle, raided farmhouses and twitchy travelling merchants. ANd think of a basic good reason for why the army is sieging that town or the kobolds migrated nearby - nothing on that scale happens without an appropriate reason. Perhaps the town is of significant strategic importance, perhaps it houses the major weaponsmiths in the area, perhaps it is a local farm community and has plenty of food. Perhaps there are mountains nearby with convenient caverns and the local security is known to be lax and inefficient.

Plan some major motivations, for groups and characters, ahead of time. One or two is enough. So that when things go off the rails you can still portray are consistent, living world where people and groups have resources, objectives and goals - just like the players.

And if the player characters feel like they are without direction, have each player come up with two or three defining characteristics for their character (such as greedy, deceitful, dislikes lying, always haggling when purchasing or selling, suspicious of city-folk, dislikes dense forests, dislikes brainless brutes, has a hidden hatred of wizards etc), and a long-term goal as well as a short-term goal. Discuss these with them and set beforehand the conditions for reaching these goals - such as being accepted as a member to a wizards guild, being friends with city guard commander, recovering holy object X for his church, proving thievery and burglary as efficient ways of funding the party etc. Remember to reward players that use these characteristics in their play, or attempt to reach their goals - this makes play more fluid and can give you excellent situations to expand upon or even build entire side-campaings on. It also gives the players quantified steps both on short and long-term to focus on and measure their character improvement on.

greyghost81

Dec 5, 2010
A Gent of Villainous Intent said:
I would try to look at "Check for Traps" first off, as it can help a lot.

Second, go to Wizards of the Coast's site, and look at some of the articles.

It should help.
Good advice. Also, if your feeling uncertain as to your DMing skills you may want to look into playing a published adventure.

misterbobperson

Dec 5, 2010
EboMan7x said:
My fellow Escapists:

In a month or so I will be starting a Dungeons and Dragons club at my High school. I've played DND before, and I know that I like it. However, seeing as I'm the one starting the club, it has fallen to me to be the Dungeon Master.

I've read up on what the official 4th edition books say about being a Dungeon Master, but I'm still a little worried. I was hoping if you have DM'd before you could offer some advice. Or if you haven't DM'd, please offer advice or stories about your favorite DM. Or if you're feeling trolly, feel free to cuss me out for using 4th edition.
4th edition? Pathfinder's so much better

Geekiest

Jan 21, 2011
Gruchul said:
Geekiest said:
I know, I was meaning to add rather than override! :)
I made the mistake of not planning at all one time. I figured the players would enjoy the total freedom more than they actually did. That was a slow, slow game and what felt like a very long night. Having said that, I have friends who need months and seconds to prepare, so a lot of it comes down to what you're comfortable with.
Ah, my apologies then. ^_^

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
misterbobperson said:
EboMan7x said:
Or if you're feeling trolly, feel free to cuss me out for using 4th edition.
4th edition? Pathfinder's so much better
Ya, if you like mini maxing kids games. 2nd edition is where the real role players spend their time.