Dungeons & Dragons Audiobook Being Narrated by Ice-T

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Dungeons & Dragons Audiobook Being Narrated by Ice-T

Rapper/actor Ice-T has revealed that he's in the midst of narrating the audiobook version of a Dungeons & Dragons novel.

When I think of a fantasy genre audiobook there are a few voices that immediately come to mind. Christopher Lee, for instance, seems like a natural fit for that sort of thing. Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellan and James Earl Jones are, likewise, voices I could listen to narrating things for hours. We're not here to talk about them, however. We're here to talk about a man by the name of Ice-T.

Ice-T, best known for his work as a rapper, recently stepped into the audiobook arena where he unexpectedly found himself recording a narration for a Dungeons & Dragons novel. "They didn't tell me this was a motherfuckin' Dungeons & Dragons book," he said, commenting on the gig in a recent podcast. Suffice it to say the subject matter wasn't familiar to him. "They were talking about 'pegasuses' and 'pegasi.' That's horses with wings. This ************ got a sword that talks to him... Motherfuckers live in places that don't exist, and it comes with a map. My God."

While Ice-T admitted to struggling somewhat with some of the more odd speech from the fantasy book (one 25 page section took him three hours), he has apparently dedicated himself to pushing through the project. "It'll be a treat to watch me, with my South Central-educated ass, trying to read some Dungeons & Dragons shit," he commented. A treat that listeners will likely be looking forward to when it's finally finished.

Source: <a href=http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2014/02/ice-t-records-dungeons-dragons-audiobook.html>Paste Magazine

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
This is either going to be unbearably awful, or it's going to be like Gilbert Gottfried reading 50 Shades of Grey - ungodly hilarious.

I'd like to see this put on YouTube.

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
Whoever decided to get Ice T for this is a god amongst men. No longer am I looking forward to Avatar 2, no longer am i looking forward to Elder Scrolls Online. All that matters to me now is hearing Ice T struggle his way through a D&D book!

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
"They didn't tell me this was a motherfuckin' Dungeons & Dragons book," he said, commenting on the gig in a recent podcast. Suffice it to say the subject matter wasn't familiar to him. "They were talking about 'pegasuses' and 'pegasi.' That's horses with wings. This ************ got a sword that talks to him... Motherfuckers live in places that don't exist, and it comes with a map. My God."

I absolutely cracked up at this. I need this audiobook.

Jimalcoatl

Jun 21, 2010
I normally don't like audiobooks, but this one seems like it will be worth getting just for the novelty. Come to think of it, that may be exactly why they got Ice T to narrate it, to get people to buy it out of curiosity.

Bazaalmon

Apr 19, 2009
It's both hilarious and strangely enticing; he's been pretty good in SVU. The source article says he's a fan of audiobooks, so I'm guessing this isn't some sort of throw-away job for him. Anyone know the release date?

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
This is so going to sell its going to set some records in the audio book industry, either the most sold or most pirated.

nohorsetown

Dec 8, 2007
He's a smart guy, with a good voice. I think he's just hamming it up with the "OMG this is so nerdy!" stuff, cuz publicity. He'll probably do a bang-up job.

Mar 26, 2008
I only have a passing interest in D&D, but having a book with Ice "MF'in" T narrating it? Now that is a day one purchase for me. He will absolutely slay it.

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
I'm wanting this. And I think he should do some 'research' on the subject matter (just the lore. I don't want to get capped if he rolls a 1.)

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
Wish he'd do suptg stories - those player escapades are AMAZING. But it sounds like something official, so I hope that it's at least Planescape.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
I'd like to hear it. But I'd also love it if they included some bloopers and outtakes. Some hilarity there to be sure.

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
I'm shoving money into my disk drive, but nothing's happening!

Ice-T, the sole reason I watch Law & Order: SVU, narrating a fantasy novel? I could not be all over this any harder!

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
... if this is real, I suspect the quality will still be superior to some of the "adventure enhancement CDs" that came with old AD&D super modules. :)

FancyNick

Mar 4, 2013
I had no interest in D&D earlier today, now I do. Well played D&D developer, Well Played

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
I have no mouth and I must scream laugh.

This is hysterical. Add that to the list of headlines you'd never thought you'd read.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
This just sounds like something that is a parody but turns out to be a real life thing... Like it should be a meme but its real... "Motherfuckin pegasi and shit..."

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Auberon said:
Wish he'd do suptg stories - those player escapades are AMAZING. But it sounds like something official, so I hope that it's at least Planescape.
If they could craig fergusen to voice Old Man Henderson in a book, or hell, OMH the movie, I'd buy at least 3 copies.

CrazyCapnMorgan said:
This is either going to be unbearably awful, or it's going to be like Gilbert Gottfried reading 50 Shades of Grey - ungodly hilarious.

I'd like to see this put on YouTube.
Thank you very much for telling me about the Gottfried video. I haven't laughed that hard in months.

Mortamus

The Talking Dead
May 18, 2012
I'm incredibly excited for this after his work in SVU. The only thing that comes to mind is this:

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Fry-Shut-Up-and-Take-My-Money-Futurama.gif