Dust 514 Finally Merging With EvE Online

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Dust 514 Finally Merging With EvE Online

Dust 514's Precursor update implements its integration with EvE and introduces powerful orbital death strikes.

If you've been following the development of the PlayStation 3 shooter Dust 514 and how it will connect to the PC-based EvE Online, you're probably aware that there <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118055-CCP-Reveals-How-Dust-514-and-Eve-Online-Interact>are several logistical concerns to address before release. Even a standalone title can have its share of gamebreaking bugs, and with the release of Dust CCP needs to co-ordinate massive battles between two games being played out on hundreds of systems. The developers intend to stagger features to keep the process as smooth as possible, but CPP is finally reaching the point where it just needs to mash the servers together and see what happens. That day will be on August 21st, when CCP will upload Dust 514 onto Eve's test server in conjunction with the Dust's latest build release titled "Precursor".

"Linking the intense front-line combat of Dust 514 with the galactic ship warfare of EvE Online has always been our keystone to building a vibrant community, and now that keystone is coming into place," said Dust 514 Executive Producer Bradon Laurino. "With the Precursor release, we move Dust 514 from its standalone testing server over to the long-standing EvE Online test server, Singularity (aka 'Sisi'). This means Dust 514 on PlayStation 3 and EvE Online on PC/Mac will be officially running on the same server."

The update will implement several new features for Dust 514 and EvE Online. Players on the Sisi server will be able to live chat with anyone participating in either game, and even send in-game emails. Dust 514 players will get Instant Battle matchmaking features that allow them to find friends quickly and leap right into the action. Dust's Galaxy system, which procedurally creates maps using combinations of a particular planet's attributes, will go live with this update, as will support for USB keyboards and mice. These are all very impressive, however the award for most visually impressive update goes to the Orbital Strike Framework, which lets Dust squad leaders call in attacks from EvE ships flying well above the planet's surface. Currently, only the non-player controlled War Barge will be able to conduct strikes, but future updates will not only allow EvE players to directly pilot attacks, but also allow Dust players to control artillery outposts to defend themselves.

Dust 514 is still in closed beta, so it's entirely possible (and expected) that the Sisi server will encounter potential errors, hang-ups, and even downtime while CCP figures things out. That said, if even half of the new features work as promised, there will be many happy PC and console gamers out there. A new round of closed beta keys will be available be available via registration on the Dust 514 beta site.

Sources: PlayStation Blog, <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-09-dust-514-beta-ready-for-move-to-eve-online-servers>Eurogamer

Ferrious

Made From Corpses
Jan 6, 2010
I too look forward to murdering swathes of clone soldiers from orbit with the push of a button.

I also look forward to the ridiculous exploits and abuses that the EVE playerbase comes up with - it really is half the game.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I will say this, CCP don't lack ambition. They're pioneering MMO games where the game really is about being massively multiplayer online. If Dust works, just in concept it's going to be one of the most astounding things ever

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Ferrious said:
I too look forward to murdering swathes of clone soldiers from orbit with the push of a button.

I also look forward to the ridiculous exploits and abuses that the EVE playerbase comes up with - it really is half the game.
You know, from just a fraction of the stuff I heard EVE players pulling off, make me think Dust might not do so well. The more I think about it, the more I feel it will come down to PC vs Console, instead of faction vs faction.

thatonedude11

Mar 6, 2011
I've been playing the Dust 514 beta for a couple of weeks, and it is pretty dang fun. The main issue is that there really isn't very much content. Hopefully, this update will fix that. Plus, I'm really excited to see how the cross-game play works in practice.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
WanderingFool said:
Ferrious said:

You know, from just a fraction of the stuff I heard EVE players pulling off, make me think Dust might not do so well. The more I think about it, the more I feel it will come down to PC vs Console, instead of faction vs faction.
You forget that besides the strongest and possibly harshest possible competition EvE also features the closest and most organised cooperation in the gaming world. How many other games feature literally thousands of people working together towards a common goal?

There will be wars between EvE capsuleers and Dust clone soldiers where the only objective is to get the other party to quit the game.

There will also be alliances between capsuleers and clone soldiers that last for years and form among the tightest online communities you'll ever see.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Hagi said:
WanderingFool said:
Ferrious said:

You forget that besides the strongest and possibly harshest possible competition EvE also features the closest and most organised cooperation in the gaming world. How many other games feature literally thousands of people working together towards a common goal?

There will be wars between EvE capsuleers and Dust clone soldiers where the only objective is to get the other party to quit the game.

There will also be alliances between capsuleers and clone soldiers that last for years and form among the tightest online communities you'll ever see.
Well, that does sound hopeful. dont misunderstand me, I want to try this game (lack the PS3 ATM), Im just worried that it will spill over as the former event as oppose to the latter.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
WanderingFool said:
Hagi said:
WanderingFool said:
Ferrious said:

Well, that does sound hopeful. dont misunderstand me, I want to try this game (lack the PS3 ATM), Im just worried that it will spill over as the former event as oppose to the latter.
Interactions between DUST 514 and EvE, while there, aren't unlimited.

As an EVE player I can't just grab my biggest ship, check my contact list to see which planet you're on and fly over to blow you up or otherwise ruin your match. And even if I could, getting a big ship to a random planet where it's open to be attacked by other players means I will lose it sooner rather than later.

The design idea at least is that if an EvE player wants to harm DUST 514 players he has to hire other DUST 514 players to do so.

Furthermore there will be different game modes with different rules. The EVE universe has three types of space: high security, low security and null security. In high security any hostile action against other players will get you blown up by the NPC police. In low security hostile actions will not get you blown up but will impact your security standing, it's a number that if it drops too low means you'll have NPCs hunting you down if you enter high security space. Null security is free for all space where there are no rules but those that the players enforce themselves.

I expect DUST to use those security spaces as well. You'll have matches in higher security space where there's little involvement from EvE players but also fewer rewards. And you'll have more dangerous matches in lower security spaces where EvE players can blow you up but also have the chance at much greater rewards. That's the design behind EvE at least.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
with matches supposedly taking place on 1000s of worlds they better have a hefty amount of maps, especially if they going to be expected to keep coming back over and over to play. fact that they do not at this stage in beta is worrisome but then again this is going to be a free game of some sort.

i can see goons hiring dusties to nuke them from orbit for the lulz, but most corps will use dusters as intended, to either help their war/defense effort or to harm their enemies.

knight4light

Jun 24, 2011
cerebus23 said:
with matches supposedly taking place on 1000s of worlds they better have a hefty amount of maps, especially if they going to be expected to keep coming back over and over to play. fact that they do not at this stage in beta is worrisome but then again this is going to be a free game of some sort.

i can see goons hiring dusties to nuke them from orbit for the lulz, but most corps will use dusters as intended, to either help their war/defense effort or to harm their enemies.
They already have a plan about the maps. currently its going to be basic principle of genertating random topographical terrain on each planet. then the type of weather and setting. yeah some basic terrain will be similar but the places all the installations will vary depending on where the comander places them. though thats what they plan anyway. ugh. its all somewhat confuseing. watch the "seeding the universe" link.

http://youtu.be/pNmCRti9dFM

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
I'm looking forward to this. Alas, I do not have a PS3, but my cousin does. Maybe i'll get him to play shooter while I bomb his enemies from orbit or something. XD

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
I really really hope this works out. It'd be a shame if something so new and ambitious were to flop. I'll be getting dust anyway

knight4light

Jun 24, 2011
Yureina said:
I'm looking forward to this. Alas, I do not have a PS3, but my cousin does. Maybe i'll get him to play shooter while I bomb his enemies from orbit or something. XD
and there we go. that is exactly what they want. bring more and more people into the Eve universe through dust.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Ferrious said:

You do realize you can't do that? A Dust player picks the location of the orbital strike and sends it to you. The only thing the Eve Player can do is authorize and shoot, Eve players can't shoot them on their own.

FantomOmega

Jun 14, 2012
Taawus said:
Well, here's to shooting dirty peasants from the orbit o/Y

Oi! Who you callin a peasant huh?! cause my clothes (read: specs) aren't as good as you sky gods raining your fiery death upon us lower folk doesn't give you the right to gloat about it!

Seriously though I expect you to watch my team back if you happen to be on my side though