Dust 514 Goes True Free-to-Play

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Dust 514 Goes True Free-to-Play

CCP has announced that Dust 514, the upcoming MMOFPS for the PlayStation 3, will launch as a true free-to-play game.

We've known for awhile now that Dust 514 will be free-to-play - sort of. The plan actually called for a "cover charge [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111566-Free-to-Play-Dust-514-Will-Require-Cover-Charge]" in the neighborhood of $10 to $20 in order to get into the game, an amount that CCP CEO Hilmar Veigar Pétursson said would help manage the game's launch. But that plan has now changed, and Dust 514 will launch as a true, and at this point only, free-to-play console game.

For those who haven't been keeping up, Dust 514 is a PS3-exclusive online shooter in which players will battle for control of individual planets in the EVE Online [http://www.amazon.com/Eve-Online-Commissioned-Officer-Pc/dp/B003VJID7E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330965496&sr=8-1] universe. Despite being created for an entirely different platform, events in Dust 514 will influence those of EVE Online, and CCP hopes the two communities will "meld over time."

"Dust 514 signifies a big step forward in the evolution of console gaming," said SCEA Senior Vice President Phil Rosenberg.

Dust 514 has been in closed beta since December 2011 and will get its first public unveiling at this year's EVE Fanfest, which takes place from March 22-24 in Reykjavik, Iceland. To learn more, check out dust514.com [http://www.dust514.com/en/home/].

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
hmm, does that mean it'll have a cash shop? If so, I'd honestly prefer a "pay once, never pay for anything after that" model, like Guild Wars, unless the cash shop is managed extraordinarily well.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
I really wish this was going to be availible for the Xbox too, it sucks that it is exclusive to the PS3.

Is the Eve community still annoyed because I remember a lot of outrage when this was first announced?

Toasty Virus

Somehow I Returned?
Dec 2, 2009
It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have this as a PS3 exclusive, given EVE is on PC and all...

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
Toasty Virus said:
It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have this as a PS3 exclusive, given EVE is on PC and all...
agreed, should have been either PC or PC/PS3 at least... PS3 only :(

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Dandark said:
I really wish this was going to be availible for the Xbox too, it sucks that it is exclusive to the PS3.

Is the Eve community still annoyed because I remember a lot of outrage when this was first announced?
Yes.

Man, this project is gonna tank so hard...

DarkenDracco

Apr 25, 2011
Dandark said:

Now I don't know why they're not bringing it out for the pc which is a good market to bring it to, but I do know why they are not bringing it to the Xbox and that has to do with the why xXbox live works. Xbox live is a closed network which doesn't work very well with the way Dust 514 connects to Eve. Thats one of the reasons why CCP went with the Ps3, is because PSN does offer that pc connectivity as evident with portal 2 with the psn to steam connectivity.

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
dyre said:
hmm, does that mean it'll have a cash shop?
Featured item: an $80 space monocle [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111278-EVE-Online-Players-Flip-a-Lid-Over-Virtual-Clothing]. Anyone wanna place their bets right now?

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Ralen-Sharr said:
Toasty Virus said:
agreed, should have been either PC or PC/PS3 at least... PS3 only :(
It would have made more sense to go the route of The Witcher 2. Have it PC only at first, then port it to console.

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
If they pull this off, I'll be thrilled. I'm not saying that this is the future of gaming, but it's a pretty bold move into something that's never been attempted.

Plus, it'll give me a reason to use my PS3 for something other than BDs.