Dust 514 - should I get a PS3? Also, games for 5 year old?

nu1mlock

May 5, 2012
Topic pretty much says it all.

I've been playing EVE on and off for a few years but quit about a year ago. I really like the idea that CCP have with their games being somewhat integrated with eachother. Like EVE players hiring Dust players to take over planets (if successful), Dust players paying EVE players to do an orbital strike against your enemies on the battlefield.

And that's only the beginning obviously.

So, anyone played Dust 514 yet? Is it worth getting a PS3 for? Granted, I will get some other games for it too, but except for Dust 514 (if it's good enough) I doubt I'll be spending a lot of time in front of the console. I'm a PC gamer. But who knows?

Money isn't a problem, I just don't like to throw it away on stuff that's worthless anyway.

Edit: By the way, if I was to get a PS3, are there any games that you can recommend, both for me, but especially for my 4½ year old daughter? She's playing on her PC and my NES at the moment. Something we can play together would be even better.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
For games to play with kids, there's always Little Big Planet (2).

nu1mlock

May 5, 2012
Schadrach said:
I enjoyed LBP (1) a few years back when I had a PS3. Not sure it would be good for a 5 year old? Wasn't it like.. too hard and some thinking behind it?

But yeah, I'm sure I would enjoy it, especially with a friend or three. Not convinced my daughter would though.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
nu1mlock said:
Schadrach said:
I enjoyed LBP (1) a few years back when I had a PS3. Not sure it would be good for a 5 year old? Wasn't it like.. too hard and some thinking behind it?

But yeah, I'm sure I would enjoy it, especially with a friend or three. Not convinced my daughter would though.
I have a grand nephew about that age that plays it (admittedly he might as well have been born with "GAMER 4 LYFE" tattooed on his forehead, and will gun down zombies in L4D2 with the best of them [something I blame his uncle/my nephew for], but still). Especially when he's playing with someone else who can help him figure out the tricky bits. Worst case there's bound to be some appropriate difficulty community levels out there.

Lucem712

*Chirp*
Jul 14, 2011
I'd also recommend LBP (Though you might take it upon yourself to create levels more suited for their skill level)

Basically anything more 2D-ish without the use of the second joystick. I was recently watching my 4 year old niece play 'Jak 3' (Just walkin' around, cos she was fascinated by the gaming machine :p) and she seem to have loads of issues working both the directional joystick and the camera.

Maybe some classics? Super Mario Brothers, and things of that nature. Maybe some Crash Bandicoot!

Captcha: 'Tastes like Chicken'
o_e Captcha, children don't taste like chicken! BAD CAPTCHA!

nu1mlock

May 5, 2012
Right, LBP has a community with custom levels. That could work, I guess. Besides LBP, any other games you guys can recommend a 4½ year old? I'd be happy to play with her if there's an option of (simple co-op) multiplayer.

Any thoughts about Dust 514 by the way?

K84

Feb 15, 2010
Is Dust 514 officially out yet?
I've seen a sort of premium package on PSN, but the free version is nowhere to be found.
At least, in the EU store.

LBP is fun, and my 4 year old nephew enjoys Rayman and LEGO games a lot.
Especially the Star Wars ones, but he's biased, he's a big Chewbacca fan.

nu1mlock

May 5, 2012
K84 said:
Is Dust 514 officially out yet?
I've seen a sort of premium package on PSN, but the free version is nowhere to be found.
At least, in the EU store.

LBP is fun, and my 4 year old nephew enjoys Rayman and LEGO games a lot.
Especially the Star Wars ones, but he's biased, he's a big Chewbacca fan.
Dust 514 is in closed beta, but last I heard everyone with an active subscription of EVE Online gets access to it. I've got friends still playing, and with another few hundred thousand subscribing, it shouldn't be a problem getting it. Also, one can pay 19,99? to get access to it, which is fine by me (again, as long as I'm not wasting money on something worthless).

Those are good advices, Rayman should be pretty simple and the LEGO games too. Not sure about LEGO, but I know I can play Rayman with her. I used to love Rayman on PS1 back in 1995 myself.

bullet_sandw1ch

Jun 3, 2011
resident evil 2. pull out the good ol' ps1 and put the fear of god into em. hell, i was so terrified by RE2 when i was 5 that i became determined to beat it, and i did. at the age of 7. now, im a gamer for life.

i didnt choose the gaming life,
the gaming life choose me.

nu1mlock

May 5, 2012
bullet_sandw1ch said:
resident evil 2. pull out the good ol' ps1 and put the fear of god into em. hell, i was so terrified by RE2 when i was 5 that i became determined to beat it, and i did. at the age of 7. now, im a gamer for life.

Thanks but no thanks. I was old enough to play Resident Evil 2 when it came out for PS1 (and I finished it too). That's not something I'd let my daughter play though.

bullet_sandw1ch

Jun 3, 2011
nu1mlock said:
bullet_sandw1ch said:

Thanks but no thanks. I was old enough to play Resident Evil 2 when it came out for PS1 (and I finished it too). That's not something I'd let my daughter play though.
i know, i was just joking. my real recommendation would be modnation racers. simple mario kart like gameplay, yet quirky, colorful, and fun enough for a young child.

thatonedude11

Mar 6, 2011
Don't rush out to get into the Dust 514 beta right now. Currently, the beta isn't even close to being feature complete, with only 2 game modes and a couple of maps. Don't get me wrong, it's pretty fun, but right now it feels like a below average online fps that gets boring really quickly. Although there is going to be a big update later this month that will integrate the game with EVE's beta servers, and I'm really excited for that. But for now, don't buy a PS3 just for Dust 514.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
I would wait for Dust to grow into the full animal they intend, yes the ideas are real cute but they never come out quite as we imagine so lets just wait and see what they actually make.

But yes you got plenty of cheerful games for the kiddies, LBP, Flow, Flower, Journey, Super Smash Brothers, Ratchet & Clank games, ... and everything for Move.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Mr.K. said:
But yes you got plenty of cheerful games for the kiddies, LBP, Flow, Flower, Journey, Super Smash Brothers, Ratchet & Clank games, ... and everything for Move.
I might be stupid saying this, but I'm pretty sure Super Smash Brothers isn't for the Playstation, but I could be wrong. Other than that, I agree with everything else on that list, except maybe the move, that's more of a preference I suppose, so if your daughter likes that sort of thing, then yes, those games too. Also, while I can't say Dust 514 would be a good sole reason to buy one(then again, I'm not an avid online fps kind of gamer), I will say there are many great games for the PS3 that are worth your money, such as the ones stated above. I don't know what games you like, but there are plenty of good exclusives for you, such as God of War and Infamous, and you can buy the remastered versions of the Jak and Daxter series and team Ico's stuff if you never had it before, and the PS1 classic section is a great place, you can find games for you and your kid to play like the Crash and Spyro games, or get games like the Legacy of Kain games or perhaps some Final Fantasy if that's more your style. There is a lot to choose from in terms of great games, and surely you'll find something for yourself.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Lucem712 said:
Maybe some classics? Super Mario Brothers, and things of that nature.
Okay, maybe I completely missed something. Since when was Super Mario Brothers on the Playstation?

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Rayman was released on the PS3, not to mention there are a tonne of old PS1 games on the PSN which did nothing but steal my soul/time when I was a child. Crash Bandicoot, WipeOut (Hell, even get the new one), Toy Story 2, etc. Modern games...not so much, but there are definitely heaps of games out there for kids.

As for Dust...I've never been fond of online FPS, but if you are, it's rather good.

FootloosePhoenix

Dec 23, 2010
The Sly Collection, an HD remastering of the three Sly Cooper games that were originally released on the PlayStation 2 (Sly Cooper and the Thievious Racconus, Sly 2: Band of Thieves and Sly 3: Honour Among Thieves), is an excellent choice for gamers of all ages. It might be a little difficult for a five-year-old, especially the first game, but in the worst case she'll be able to overcome the challenge in a few years. Sly 3 also has a few multiplayer mini-games that you'd be able to play with her.

Lucem712

*Chirp*
Jul 14, 2011
klaynexas3 said:
Lucem712 said:
Maybe some classics? Super Mario Brothers, and things of that nature.
Okay, maybe I completely missed something. Since when was Super Mario Brothers on the Playstation?
Apologies, I just skimmed over the OP. Though, it's pretty available through out the web though (as a flash-game)