Dust 514

Albetta

Jul 16, 2009
So I, as well as all other EVE online players have known about Dust 514 for two years now, but to be honest it seemed almost like a pipe dream until it was revealed as a PS3 exclusive yesterday evening. So what do you guys think? Will having it interface with the EVE universe be enough to distance it from MW3/BF3 in your opinion?

Last night's trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxLJ20oYZGM

Also, The War Hawk 2 trailer was almost exactly the same/ had the same narrative. How do you think dust will stand up to this other PS3 exclusive, and which would you rather buy?

LockeDown

Sep 27, 2009
I'm honestly looking forward to Dust 514 (and I say this as someone who kind of fell out of MMO-gaming awhile back). It's got the same sort of tone and overall feel as MAG (another PS3-excluive shooter that was glorious in its hayday), and the persistent, evolving universe should keep the game from stagnating as quickly as some of the other shooters.

Granted, its timing sucks (why would anyone want to try releasing a shooter in the shadow of MW3 and BF3?), but I'm hoping that some viral marketing through the web will help keep the game's population alive.

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
If they managed to integrate Dust514 into EVE correctly, this could be the best two-game combo on the market.

Given the possible affects that Dust514 would have in the EVE universe, I would take that over any shooter coming in the next 12 months. Just the idea that I can plan an important part in the EVE universe (which I think is the most BAD ASS MMO EVAR!) is awesome.

BigHandInSky

Apr 16, 2009
I'm looking forward to it, two of my friends are EVE players (i couldnt get into it) and it would be fun to fight for them.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
The idea is just mindboggingly amazing to me. Picture this:

You're in a corporation as a DUST player, together with other DUST players and EVE players. You guys want to capture a planet, so your corporation sends a fleet to eliminate orbital defences and form a blockade. Meanwhile, the DUST players are called in to capture ground objectives and root out the existing garrison.

So all at the same time, in the same persistent universe the stuff is going on. Huge spaceships are duking it out in orbit while soldiers are fighting man-to-man on the surface, all at the same time in the same meta-game. That amazing difference in scale, yet it's all tightly connected. That is just absolutely amazing.

This illustrates it really well:
Zac Smith said:
Enter futurisic space marine gritty sci-fi shooter number 5709
Except that it's not. Have you missed the fact that's it's a persistent MMOFPS? Have you missed the seemless intergration with EVE Online?

Albetta

Jul 16, 2009
Anyways what i'm most afraid of is what most of you might have already, at least subconsciously, been thinking.

"Dust 514 huh? The game where you invade planets for EVE players? Sounds really cool, but I would rather play Call of Duty."

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
The problem with DUST is that it will have to fight hard to appeal to anyone except Eve players, and since Eve is PC game and DUST is PS3 exclusive it also cuts many of Eve players from the game.

It's hard to find reason behind "why would an FPS player pick DUST over other FPS if they are not into Eve in first place".

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
Hmm, would be an intersting cross platform ineractivity. Looks like Dust will be a shooter that works with Eve. What happens in one affects the other, so PC gamers and PS3 gamers will need to work together.

Albetta

Jul 16, 2009
Keava said:
The problem with DUST is that it will have to fight hard to appeal to anyone except Eve players, and since Eve is PC game and DUST is PS3 exclusive it also cuts many of Eve players from the game.

It's hard to find reason behind "why would an FPS player pick DUST over other FPS if they are not into Eve in first place".

Except for no. Dust isn't aimed at EVE players, it's aimed at console players.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Only on the PS3, eh?

Like Sony haven't had enough problems without inviting machiavellian EVE players to bring down huge chunks of their network to win a vital ground attack.

(I'm only half kidding. I've read stories about EVE players hacking networks to force the captains of enemy capitol ships to lose their connection during an important battle. Got to love EVE...)

Albetta

Jul 16, 2009
Sixcess said:
Only on the PS3, eh?

Like Sony haven't had enough problems without inviting machiavellian EVE players to bring down huge chunks of their network to win a vital ground attack.

(I'm only half kidding. I've read stories about EVE players hacking networks to force the captains of enemy capitol ships to lose their connection during an important battle. Got to love EVE...)

Hacking? No. Overloading constellation nodes on purpose? Well, define "on purpose".

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Well from that trailer that came out a while ago, I think this looks insane, but not in the good way. So a bunch of ground troops are fighting, and they try and call in an air strike, but instead, mister Rice Spaceship man orders a orbital strike and Kapow. Everyone on the ground dies. Mr Rice Spaceman continues playing his stock trading MMO, PS3 players are left thinking "That was a waste of time".

So no, not a huge fan =)

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Albetta said:
Except for no. Dust isn't aimed at EVE players, it's aimed at console players.
Yeah, but why exactly should they pick it over CoD/BF/Halo/any other shooter. Sure it's novel idea that it ties to MMO, but if you don't play the MMO and are not really interested in said MMO you don't have a reason to care.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Albetta said:
Hacking? No. Overloading constellation nodes on purpose? Well, define "on purpose".
Ah well, that makes all the difference :)

EVE's one of those games I wish I had the time for. It's fascinating to read about and seems to come closer to what a 'true' MMORPG should be than anything else out there. One of these days perhaps.

Anyway, I hope Dust 514 works out for them. The metagame alone should make it something other than just another shooter.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Just one issue - it's a PS3 exclusive. Why can't FPSes be PC-exclusive? No sensible player wants an analog stick for first-person controls.

CCountZero

Sep 20, 2008
Cowabungaa said:
You're in a corporation as a DUST player, together with other DUST players and EVE players. You guys want to capture a planet, so your corporation sends a fleet to eliminate orbital defences and form a blockade. Meanwhile, the DUST players are called in to capture ground objectives and root out the existing garrison.
That would indeed be cool.
However, I have my doubts as to whether that's what will happen.

I don't think having a "corporation" in the game would work, as that would put certain balance issues into the FPS end of the deal.

It works in EVE, because balance as such isn't really an issue. If two corps go to war and one of them has ten times the fleet and pilots to fly it, then that corp is likely to win and that'll be the end of it.

That just doesn't work in a FPS though. People will simply stop playing if the different corps can lend their aid, making one team potentially MUCH stronger than the other.

So, what I think will happen in the end is that the FPS fights will function as a sort of "randomiser", where you invade a planet and the actions of the players in Dust will, to an unknown degree, influence the outcome of the invasion.

So, in effect, it's gonna be more like a standard shooter, but with an EVE theme, which means you will be able to buy extras with real-life cash, but also be able to obtain those same extras with in-game cash, so to speak.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
I spent 2 years playing Eve good times.

Its a shame this isnt coming to the 360 or PC otherwise Ild play it myself.

The best place for Dust imo is on PC where they can better tie it into the game and take advantage of those who like Eve but dont play the MMO

Hopefully in a year or 2 when CCP shuts the games servers down due to lack of players, theyll move it onto PC sell it cheaply or even better impove on it and make it into a mmo thats tied into Eve, and put a monthly subscription on it of £2 - £3 to encourage players to keep playing in the long term

Andalusa

Mad Cat Lady
Feb 25, 2008
Well, if I didn't have to buy a PS3 to be able to play it, I'd be as enthusiastic about it as I was a few days ago, but considering it's now an exclusive and I don't have quite enough money to get a PS3.... meh.
I liked the way it was going to interact with the EVE Online universe, but looks like I'll have to miss out and just stick to cruising through space in my awesome ships. Oh well.