Dying Light: Mirror's Island Rising.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Loonyyy said:
BloatedGuppy said:
About how long is the single player campaign on Dying Light? Anyone know?
I've played 17 hours so far, at under 20% completion. I haven't been grinding, or anything, just exploring and completing sidequests. I just run from place to place by whichever is closest, and then move outwards, so far, seems that there's an alright balance between the two, although I don't think the main missions will last too long, so if you only play them it's probably significantly shorter.
I know some folks who blasted through the story in 5-6, cleared the side missions in a day.

Terrible way to play the game though, its much more fun to hop in with a buddy and just casually pursue objectives while exploring about (and trying to land the dropkick off the top of the bridge pillars).

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Yeah, it's another zombie game. That pretty much kills it for me right there regardless of how interesting or solid the rest of the game supposedly is. I don't mind zombies as enemies within a variety of other stuff but when the whole zombie thing is the focus of the game I just instantly tune out. Like zombies themselves, I wish this whole all forms of entertainment obsession with zombies would just die already.

Ramus

Nov 21, 2014
I got about 80 hours out of the game before I finished it. Was level 24 survivor, 19 agility and 22 combat. Completed every side mission except for a few of the "find junk" missions in the first city area. Completed all the challenges and messed around a lot because the gameplay is just too damn fun. I can't understand why anyone would play through the main story of this game straight forward, it's probably the reason why reviewers hate the story so much. If you play the main story missions in between 3 or 4 side missions then it breaks it up enough that you don't mind how cliche the writing is. Anyway, the story is throwaway to me. The gameplay itself is just so polished, the movement is incredible. I went and made the mistake of playing Far Cry 4 after Dying Light and I can barely function without my parkour powers. Melee combat is extremely satisfying and it never gets old cutting zombies into pieces with a katana rigged up to set things on fire and launch them away. Gunplay was probably the biggest weakness, with maybe 5 or 6 different gun types and pretty simple fps mechanics. I only used guns to "snipe" a few kinds of zombies or get through story missions that were purposely setup for ranged weapons. I almost never do this, but I have been coming back after completing the main story just to roam and parkour and kill zombies, even black flag I couldn't be bothered to sail the seas after finishing the main game.

residentout1

May 21, 2013
InsanityRequiem said:
My one gripe with Dying Light is that when you use melee weapons and a zombie attempts to grab you, the camera automatically makes it so you hit the zombie in the head. This has been pissing me off a lot, because there is a challenge where you have to break zombie legs (25 legs in roughly 2 minutes). It'd be easy, accept that suddenly I'm facing head height and breaking skulls instead of looking at feet and breaking legs.

Other than than, I'm enjoying the game immensely. And if people are curiously, you can spend hours upon hours breaking the game early on. The prologue does not advance time, so you could go crazy looting everything one hundred times and murdering thousands of zombies off the start for experience. It isn't until you do the first drop that time then can advance.

But yes, lots of enjoying. Though I shouldn't be surprised, I enjoyed Shadow of Mordor a lot while I couldn't get into Mirror's Edge/Dead Rising/Dead Island/Assassin's Creed.
I think you can turn the lock on off I know when I was looking in the options menu I saw something about lock on.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
so is it Far Cry with zombies?
cuz I'm tired of zombies but I love me some Far Cry :D

Ramus

Nov 21, 2014
GZGoten said:
I would argue its better than Far Cry 4 if only because of the parkour movement. I've really never seen better movement in a first person game. It's very natural and there were probably only a handful of times it didn't do what I wanted. When I fell off a building it was because I misjudged a jump, not because the game AI didn't find a ledge.

The gunplay is absolutely not as good as Far Cry, but the melee gameplay makes up for it. You're basically running through the city like spiderman by end-game.

You run around a open world map assaulting bases full of zombies to unlock them, not many towers, but they are there. Very similar open world FPS style of missions/challenges. Better loot system though it gets a bit tiresome by the end because of a lack of weapon types.

The stories are equally bad, but I think I prefer dying light outside of its main story.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
Ramus said:
GZGoten said:
I would argue its better than Far Cry 4 if only because of the parkour movement. I've really never seen better movement in a first person game. It's very natural and there were probably only a handful of times it didn't do what I wanted. When I fell off a building it was because I misjudged a jump, not because the game AI didn't find a ledge.

The gunplay is absolutely not as good as Far Cry, but the melee gameplay makes up for it. You're basically running through the city like spiderman by end-game.

You run around a open world map assaulting bases full of zombies to unlock them, not many towers, but they are there. Very similar open world FPS style of missions/challenges. Better loot system though it gets a bit tiresome by the end because of a lack of weapon types.

The stories are equally bad, but I think I prefer dying light outside of its main story.
sounds awesome I'm definitely buying this game today :) my only gripe with Far Cry 4 was how short the game is and how easy taking over fortresses was. I kinda wish these bases had more to them than just kill everyone, I dunno maybe have each one be it's own seperate mini multi stage. Regardless I'll be stomping on zombie heads tonight :)

Ramus

Nov 21, 2014
GZGoten said:
Ramus said:
GZGoten said:

sounds awesome I'm definitely buying this game today :) my only gripe with Far Cry 4 was how short the game is and how easy taking over fortresses was. I kinda wish these bases had more to them than just kill everyone, I dunno maybe have each one be it's own seperate mini multi stage. Regardless I'll be stomping on zombie heads tonight :)
I completely agree. The one thing Dying Light also does well is it has little instanced "dungeons" that are basically puzzle areas/combat areas overran with zombies and higher difficulty. The bases themselves are really easy and usually just involve cutting up a few zombies which is sad. Farcry had the same issue too. These games need to start making unique gameplay around their "map unlock" content, or unique side missions that involve them at the very least. They're starting to lose their appeal after AC, Mordor, Far Cry, etc.

white_wolf

Aug 23, 2013
Character choice should've been an option he's a generic hero, mechanics perform pretty well, however the villain starts broaching Kai Lang stupidity by the end which was a waste, I do have other issues with the game but its characters, their relationships, and plot holes that would be spoilers. The running around and killing zombies is fine repetitive to the point you can walk away from most of them in the light and avoid the larger ones at night. At least they struck a decent balance between graphics and story.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
Seth Carter said:
Loonyyy said:
BloatedGuppy said:
About how long is the single player campaign on Dying Light? Anyone know?
I've played 17 hours so far, at under 20% completion. I haven't been grinding, or anything, just exploring and completing sidequests. I just run from place to place by whichever is closest, and then move outwards, so far, seems that there's an alright balance between the two, although I don't think the main missions will last too long, so if you only play them it's probably significantly shorter.
I know some folks who blasted through the story in 5-6, cleared the side missions in a day.

Terrible way to play the game though, its much more fun to hop in with a buddy and just casually pursue objectives while exploring about (and trying to land the dropkick off the top of the bridge pillars).
Yeah, I've been polishing off the side missions, I'm up to 28 hours, although I got a bit lost finishing a bunch of quests. Don't have any other mates on the PC to co-op with, and random players are terrible. Mic spam, poor region matching, and just being matched with people who have no idea what they're doing, meaning you wait half an hour herding cats because objectives can't start till everyone is there, not just the host.

The main story seems really thin. None of the writing is really worth a damn, it's got DI's problem of stupid, petty bullshit. I haven't collected any water for anyone, or any supplies outside of "Emergency Relief" or meds, at any point, which is ridiculous, but I've been sent to find toys, to find parts for oil contractors (Who have the worst dialogue ever), and fucking coffee for a coffee club. You don't get much time with the characters at all. I'm not suprised at the 5-6 hour count. Game seems to shine when you use the mission markers as a course layout to explore the map, and just dump them all at once. The loading on the tower in the first area is a bit much though.