Dying Light Preview

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
So, it's like Dead Island, but more polished? Good enough for me.
Also, in what kind of environment game took place? City, village, jungle?

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Zombies kinda meets Mirror's Edge?

Colour me interested. Mainly at the Mirror's Edge part, but I don't actually mind zombies either. Intriguing enough for me to look out for it anyway.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
Andy Shandy said:
Zombies kinda meets Mirror's Edge?
This, and if it has multiplayer akin to Dead Island I can tell I'm gonna have a blast with it.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
It's Dead Island meets Zombies, Run! meets Mirror's Edge...from what I saw, anyway. I'll let you know further thoughts after I see more.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
People keep complaining that the zombie/infected genre is too saturated, but this is the kind of thing it's always lacked.

A proper open world survival game, hopefully with co-op that allows you to play the same as in single player, but with a friend. From what little has been shown, this is the zombie game that needs to be done, as it is the kind of thing most non-game zombie fiction is based around; survival and exploration.

Most games tend to just be normal shooters with enemies that shuffle when it comes down to it.

Although to be honest, what I really want is GTA: Zombies, or something to that affect.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Susan is right. I DID want riptide to expand on the potential of Dead Island. I really liked the basics of smashing zombies in the face (with the analog combat settings turned on) so I'll be cautiously optimistic about this one.
Whoops- I've now read this more carefully. Susan is horribly, horribly wrong for typing zom. This changes the whole piece. Worst article ever.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
FINALLY. Don't understand why it's taken this long for someone to make a single player sandbox zombie survival game.

I mean, Day Z was cool and all, but I'm convinced this style of game has no place being a MP server format game. Always turns into a DM arena. And Dead Island was just way too arcadey and linear.

Really hope they have some good survival mechanics built in to go with the crafting. Oh and Mod support!

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
SecondPrize said:
Susan is right. I DID want riptide to expand on the potential of Dead Island. I really liked the basics of smashing zombies in the face (with the analog combat settings turned on) so I'll be cautiously optimistic about this one.
Whoops- I've now read this more carefully. Susan is horribly, horribly wrong for typing zom. This changes the whole piece. Worst article ever.
I beg your pardon?

dementis

Aug 28, 2009
Gah! I keep getting interested in these type of games until they mention craftable weapons like the "shock blade". I wouldn't mind crafting if it was a bit more grounded in reality with standard things like a cricket bat with nails in, or sharpening some sheet metal and scraping together a handle for a make shift machete but I find the elemental damage weapons spoil the idea of zombie survival for me.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Susan Arendt said:
SecondPrize said:
I beg your pardon?
Zom. Truncating a word with two syllables is a terrible sin.

Dec 14, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
SecondPrize said:
I beg your pardon?
I think he's speaking internet, let me get my handbook.

*Skims through pages*

Nope, don't have a clue what he said :D

OT: Looks cool, haven't played a zombie title since The Walking Dead, so I'll keep an eye on this one.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Life-challenged
Brilliant! You have now inexorably linked mental retardation with zombies in my head..

OT: Oh yay, another grown zombie-buster. I think these people are a couple of years too late. I'll have to see more of it before I pass my final judgement, though.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
dementis said:
Gah! I keep getting interested in these type of games until they mention craftable weapons like the "shock blade". I wouldn't mind crafting if it was a bit more grounded in reality with standard things like a cricket bat with nails in, or sharpening some sheet metal and scraping together a handle for a make shift machete but I find the elemental damage weapons spoil the idea of zombie survival for me.
Well, in fairness, the shock damage comes from a battery - at least it does in Dead Island, I can't say for sure in Dying Light, but it seems reasonable to expect it'll be something similar. The crafting in Dead Island is pretty much exactly what you described; in fact, one of the first blueprints you find is for a baseball bat with nails.

dementis

Aug 28, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
dementis said:
Well, in fairness, the shock damage comes from a battery - at least it does in Dead Island, I can't say for sure in Dying Light, but it seems reasonable to expect it'll be something similar. The crafting in Dead Island is pretty much exactly what you described; in fact, one of the first blueprints you find is for a baseball bat with nails.
The shock from a battery would be nowhere near powerful enough to electrocute someone. I did enjoy the early crafting of dead island like the circular saw blade on a baseball bat but when the elemental damage crafting showed up I began to lose interest in the crafting, if they'd left it at making more effective weapons from scavenged items I would have loved it.

But seeing as dead island was more of a loot based RPG more than a zombie survival game I can understand the elemental damage, I just want a more grounded zombie survival game (if you can call zombies grounded).

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
dementis said:
Susan Arendt said:
dementis said:
The shock from a battery would be nowhere near powerful enough to electrocute someone. I did enjoy the early crafting of dead island like the circular saw blade on a baseball bat but when the elemental damage crafting showed up I began to lose interest in the crafting, if they'd left it at making more effective weapons from scavenged items I would have loved it.

But seeing as dead island was more of a loot based RPG more than a zombie survival game I can understand the elemental damage, I just want a more grounded zombie survival game (if you can call zombies grounded).
Well, that's fair enough. Things like poison damage are a wee bit tougher to accept than, say, kerosene and a match making a flaming club. But you're also right that DI was much more a dungeon crawl than straight-up zombie game. Not really sure which side of that Dying Light will come down on, but I'm very interested to find out.

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
Susan Arendt said:
It's Dead Island meets Zombies, Run! meets Mirror's Edge...from what I saw, anyway. I'll let you know further thoughts after I see more.
I can one up them on that front. I just today got updated on this iOS release ( http://www.deviantart.com/art/R-r-realise-373356824 ). Lets see them make Left 4 Dead meets Mirror's Edge meets Canabalt/Jetpack Joyride!

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
So basically its dead island. So is this going to be a better game with none of that "go risk your life to get my teddy bear" rubbish. I tell you, those survivors have zero concept of priorities. I enjoyed the game buy it got boring after a few hours. I liked the city part though, kinda of reminded me of what resident evil 2 could have been like. :)

What would interest me is a free running world war game in which stealth is a key element.

nexus

May 30, 2012
How about a real zombie survival game, for starters?

I see a lot of people complaining they are sick of zombies, which makes me feel like I'm the only one sick of the "kill everything, loot everything" games made for people with ADD. Borderlands does it, and does it well.. If you're going to do zombies, why not make it a zombie survival game, just saying?

Do we really need another Dead Island, which was a derivative of Borderlands..

Either way, I will keep my eye on this and if it's any good will probably fold and buy it when the time comes because I'm foolish like that.