Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires release details *UPDATE*

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires has just been given an official release date for the West.

Yes, you read that correctly - 'PC'. DW8:E will be the first Musou Empires games (both DW and SW) to be released on PC.

The PS4 and Xbox One versions will be physical releases while the PS3 and PC (through Steam) versions will be digital only. A trailer was shown at the MCM London expo too which shows a couple of new features, improvements and Xun Yu, the newest addition to the cast (which now totals 83).

In addition, a few characters will be getting EX weapon changes:

*Lianshi: Mandarin Duck Hooks
*Liu Shan: Dragon Stool
*Deng Ai: Gatling Crossbow
*Wang Yi: Emei Piercers
*Sun Quan: Blaze Sword
*XiaoQiao: Twin Fans
*Guan Suo: Sabatons
*Yueying: Bladed Bow
*Meng Huo: Stone Pillar

Which are all shown in these Famitsu scans:
http://i.imgur.com/eC9fGp6.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/nQKSQff.jpg?1

Seishisha

By the power of greyskull.
Aug 22, 2011
Hmm, im feeling pretty damn cynical about this, considering how dynasty warriors 8 extreme legends complete editon (or what ever its actualy called) turn out on pc, for those not in the know basicly it was released at a fairly high price i'd say higher than average, there is a massive truck ton of dlc for it which considering the price and name was a little shocking.
The screenshots used to advertise the game on the steam page were actualy from the ps4 version (last i checked they still are) where as the game you buy is infact a ps3 port so it looks considerably worse.
Even if your willing to over look the obvious lies about which version was ported and dont actualy care about the appearance of the game, the port itself is pretty damn terrible and doesnt even include basic mouse input.

If you don't believe anything i've written here go check the steam forums/community hub for the game, a large amount of the threads are about these issues.

Frankly i don't trust them to make this version work well for pc either, and considering that both pc and ps3 are digital only i wouldnt be at all surprised if the same thing happens again and pc users end up with an old gen port sold as a new gen game.

Definatly not holding my breath anyway, i guess i can just hope to be proven wrong this time round.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Okay, I am really excited for this! Hopefully the PS3 version isn't inferior to the others (looks like the same exact engine as the last game). I'd go PC if the PS3 wasn't clearly a better option for local co-op (can play it in my living room).

The character creation looks awesome!

WhiteWolfe

Mar 15, 2011
That's awesome, I've been waiting for an xbone Dynasty Warriors Empires ever since I got it but wasn't holding my breath.

DW5:Empires is probably one of my favorite PS2 games of all time, and I've always loved creating tons of edit characters. The one in this looks fantastic.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
DW5: Empires was one of my favorite games on the PS2 so I'm looking forward to this.

I just hope that the PC port is decent and that it isn't filled with DLC, that would completely put me off buying it.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Fappy said:
The character creation looks awesome!
WhiteWolfe said:
The one in this looks fantastic.
There's a Japanese demo (you'll need a Japanese PSN account) for PS3/4 that lets you play around with the edit mode a bit. Not all the options and weapons are there but it'll give you an idea.

You can view a bunch of player submissions to Koei here. [https://twitter.com/smusou7emp]

Longing

Nov 29, 2012
leave Yue Ying with her damn scythe :'(((

I've always loved empires the most out of the DW games, here's to hoping I've got an Xbone by release date.

Apr 5, 2008
Dynasty Warriors and I have a strange relationship. I enjoyed them back on the first xbox, but since then I can go years without it, then suddenly have the urge to play it. I'll play one intensely for a few days, get it out of my system and move on. I was disappointed a little by the newer games...not so much with the gameplay, which is just fine. I was disappointed that the campaign required me to play as predetermined characters. I want to play as Sun Shang Xiang. She's the only warrior I want to play as and I can't do that in the campaign in 7 or 8.

Anyway, although I'm a pc gamer, I'd rather play a DW game on my 360. Regardless, I scratched my DW itch a couple of months back so I'm good for a while. Unless this game is particularly good, I'll wait until I have the DW urge again to worry about any developments in the series.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
What is it with all the "this game is coming PC woooow" discussion lately? Well at least it...promotes the game I guess.

Not a huge fan of making all the strategists characters as there are guys far more deserving/interesting. The only strategist I remember wanting for the longest time was Chen Gong for a couple of reasons. His book character was one I liked, and the roles given to him in previous games while not huge were used well. Found him great in Dynasty Tactics 2 due to the dynamic he had with Lu Bu...that and unlike the other rulers who get hoards of strategists Lu Bu gets simply Chen Gong... in fact Lu Bu gets such little inital great units that you start appreciating the ones he does have and wish they were in DW...Lu Bu has himself, his daughter, Zhang Liao (only available near the end in his epilogue), Gao Shun, Chen Gong...and the rest are jobbers (well Zang Ba is merely alright from what I remember)...so clearly the next game should have Gao Shun be playable so all my favourites from Tactics are finally in.

Xun Yu however? He blends in with the rest of Cao Cao's guys. The only role in previous games of his I liked was the one in Kessen where he was an armored women who could cast magic and was Cao Cao's main adviser while the rest were minor characters (Sima Yi when he comes in is a big deal however).
Enough with guys like him, I want to see the guys who put Guan Yu over in the next installment, its only right they be recognised.

I'll likely be getting this as I like Empires.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
As an owner of a PS4 and a new Warriors fan, I'm really psyched for this. I can finally play as the Jin in all of their glory. I hear this version of Dynasty Warriors involves more tactics, so that's always refreshing.

gamer_parent

Jul 7, 2010
I haven't played DW since 5:XL. It's always been one of those games where I'll get a hankering for every so often because I love the IDEA of mowing hundreds of guys on a battlefield, but the moment I actually boot up my old copy of DW5:XL, I find myself horribly bored. This thread got me thinking about the why in that statement, and I think I've narrowed it down:

1. difficulty scaling is done poorly. At lower levels, the enemies don't attack or defend, and fights become too brainless. The higher difficulty extract most of it's increase difficulty by giving the enemies better stats, and maybe a high frequency in attacks. (To the point that projectile flinging enemies are just annoying) However, I don't get the feeling that the enemies, beyond their general categorization, has all that much in terms of personality and tactical differences, making the fights all kind of "meh".

2. lack of strategic initiative/empowerment. The way that the DW games do tactics/strategy is mostly through planned events. That's all well and good for the purposes for the most part, but it sometimes make me feel like I really don't have an awful lot of choices in how I want to play the game. I feel like most of the time that when I'm playing this game, I'm basically playing errand boy / maid trying to get across the map as fast as I can, and I don't get to really enjoy the fighting all that much. It also means that every map just feels like me hunting for the events rather than really caring about the unique attributes of the stage itself. It would be nice to be able to say, have strategic map powers that you can use to reflect the fact that you're more than just a physical killing machine sent around the map to clear out areas.

I notice these same issues prevalent in just about any musou game I put my hands on, be it Samurai Warriors, Ken's Rage, or One Piece. so my question is, has the series managed to fix these two issues? If so, I might be willing to give it another whirl.

LarsInCharge

Sep 9, 2014
gamer_parent said:
I haven't played DW since 5:XL. It's always been one of those games where I'll get a hankering for every so often because I love the IDEA of mowing hundreds of guys on a battlefield, but the moment I actually boot up my old copy of DW5:XL, I find myself horribly bored. This thread got me thinking about the why in that statement, and I think I've narrowed it down:

1. difficulty scaling is done poorly. At lower levels, the enemies don't attack or defend, and fights become too brainless. The higher difficulty extract most of it's increase difficulty by giving the enemies better stats, and maybe a high frequency in attacks. (To the point that projectile flinging enemies are just annoying) However, I don't get the feeling that the enemies, beyond their general categorization, has all that much in terms of personality and tactical differences, making the fights all kind of "meh".

2. lack of strategic initiative/empowerment. The way that the DW games do tactics/strategy is mostly through planned events. That's all well and good for the purposes for the most part, but it sometimes make me feel like I really don't have an awful lot of choices in how I want to play the game. I feel like most of the time that when I'm playing this game, I'm basically playing errand boy / maid trying to get across the map as fast as I can, and I don't get to really enjoy the fighting all that much. It also means that every map just feels like me hunting for the events rather than really caring about the unique attributes of the stage itself. It would be nice to be able to say, have strategic map powers that you can use to reflect the fact that you're more than just a physical killing machine sent around the map to clear out areas.

I notice these same issues prevalent in just about any musou game I put my hands on, be it Samurai Warriors, Ken's Rage, or One Piece. so my question is, has the series managed to fix these two issues? If so, I might be willing to give it another whirl.
In Samurai Warriors 4 (the most recent "Warriors" installment) enemy soldiers are somewhat more aggressive on normal, and will punish you if you aren't focused. Officers will use the tricks available to you (utilizing Special skills, air recovery and counter, spirit dash, etc) against you, and the AI has greatly improved over the years. If you're good at games like Devil May Cry it still isn't terribly challenging, but you can't just mash square across a battlefield and expect to win.

The enemy AI in Empires mode could use some work, but they will pull tricky stuff occasionally. Like when I captured part of Lu Bu's territory and captured Diao Chan, she betrayed me in the very next battle allowing Lu Bu to take the territory back and demoralizing my forces so that even killing peons became a chore.

LarsInCharge

Sep 9, 2014
On Topic:

REALLY? They took away my favorite characters primary weapon (Wang Yi). I hope they kept her Air Musou (sexiest musou in series history). Still, greatly looking forward to this.

gamer_parent

Jul 7, 2010
LarsInCharge said:
In Samurai Warriors 4 (the most recent "Warriors" installment) enemy soldiers are somewhat more aggressive on normal, and will punish you if you aren't focused. Officers will use the tricks available to you (utilizing Special skills, air recovery and counter, spirit dash, etc) against you, and the AI has greatly improved over the years. If you're good at games like Devil May Cry it still isn't terribly challenging, but you can't just mash square across a battlefield and expect to win.

The enemy AI in Empires mode could use some work, but they will pull tricky stuff occasionally. Like when I captured part of Lu Bu's territory and captured Diao Chan, she betrayed me in the very next battle allowing Lu Bu to take the territory back and demoralizing my forces so that even killing peons became a chore.
Man, I might have to go find myself a copy of SW4 to play then!

I think being right below DMC is probably about the right threshold of difficulty here for most of the people who would play a Musou game.

To go into more details here (if you'll indulge me), what I mean by AI and personality can be exemplified in Streets of Rage 2. In Streets of Rage 2, all of the enemies have different kinds of movement AI, based on their personalities, which in conjunction with their personal movesets, creates a very full personality picture on how they fight. i.e. Galsia, the basic thug type, on hardest difficulty, will always dance around you until you're in a recovery frame and jump in for a jab and will always try to flank. The Donovan's (shirtless guy with shades) will circle as well, and in that respect is much like Galsia, but he also has an uppercut that he'll ALWAYS use if you jump. This means you can bait him into using his uppercut (which has horrible recovery), and then attack while he's recovering from the attack. He also will try to pick up pipes on the ground when he sees it, as he can utilize that.

I would like to see more of THAT in a Musou game. I know that some of that is already there. The fact that you have basic troops, officers, archers, gate captains, and so on already necessitates to it. But because of the way they do placement in this game (i.e. gate captains only show up at gates, archers always show up in groups, etc), combined with enemies having fairly similar AIs (except say, Archer vs. Infantry) means that you have a pretty high amount of predictability for how you would tackle the encounters.

If I run into an infantry group in area 1, and another infantry group at area 2, the exact composition (i.e. one group has a sergeant vs. having a corporal in the ranks too) might be different but in 99% of the cases, it doesn't alter how I tackle them in the least bit.

The key problem, I think, goes back to difference in scale instead of difference in kind, not just in enemy type, but also how they fundamentally function. An archer, no matter how to dissect them, is there to provide distraction and stuns. An infantry, no matter how to dissect it, will always be about sticking a couple blows to sap health and crowd. It would be great though, if there are base enemy types who basically is JUST there to stun the players out of a musou, for example, or place debuffs on the area to counter the player's buff effects, or enemies that prefer knock downs, or enemies that use obscenely long pole arms to stay out of player range and add as support, etc.

Of course, doing things this way has the drawback of taking emphasis away from the officer's themselves, which is what the Musou games are really about anyway... soo.... err....

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
This makes me hopeful for a SW4 PC release. I know its a long shot but I can't not hope for it.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
gamer_parent said:
What you're describing isn't really what Musou is all about though. Brawlers (or whatever people call them) like DMC, Streets of Rage and God Hand feature a much smaller amount of enemies and only one, two or a few playable characters. This greater and more concise sense of focus allows for much deeper combat mechanics.

Keep in mind, as of DW8E, DW will have 83 characters. As awesome as it would be, you can't really expect all 83 of those characters to have a DMC3 level of combat depth and complexity.

However, I would advise you to maybe check out Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes. It's made by Capcom and the Basara series (of which only two have been localised) is basically Capcom's answer to Musou. It features a smaller cast of characters, less overall content and much more linear battles but the character movesets are deeper and more varied than those in both DW and SW. It's still not quite what you were asking for but you might enjoy it.

The Egalitarian

Oct 30, 2014
Looking forward to it's release on the PC; It's been ages since I've played any incarnation of the DW series. The fact that it is coming to the PC makes it entirely accessible to me now that I'm lacking consoles. Honestly can not wait.