Dystopian Wars

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
So, anyone else playing this?

This game caught the wargaming world here by storm. I've never seen a game catch so fast with so many players all jumping in. The premise is really damn cool, with an alternate 1890's where five main factions battle in a World War for supremacy:

The Federated States of America:

The Prussian Empire:

The Kingdom of Britannia:

The Empire of the Blazing Sun:

The Covenant of Antarctica:

The game is relatively easy to pick up and play, and quite inexpensive for a wargame. For about 70 bucks you get a full fleet, including a Carrier and a Dreadnought.

It's nice to see a new wargame picking up so fast, especially as I needed a break from 40K (seriously, fuck Codex Grey Knights, it broke the game to pieces). And the setting is really damn interesting, going for alternate history while staying familiar (Prussia allied with Japan against the Brits and the FSA).

If you like wargames and want something new, give it a go. You won't regret it.

Oh, and there's also a land battle version of the game, though the naval one seems to be the one that's really picking everyone's interest.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
Really? I'm the only person playing this?!

Well, that's a surprise... :(

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Iwata said:
It's nice to see a new wargame picking up so fast, especially as I needed a break from 40K (seriously, fuck Codex Grey Knights, it broke the game to pieces).
Well, what did you expect, written as it was by Mat 'I wanna be fuckd by Roboute so hard, s'why I came up with Kaldor' Ward?! The club that I (used to) frequent severely frowns upon GK players and they only get the models for hobbying and customising purposes.

Still...

And the setting is really damn interesting, going for alternate history while staying familiar (Prussia allied with Japan against the Brits and the FSA).
Yeah, looks pretty interesting, though I have barely enough time to game in the conventional sense as it is... :(

Curious... what're those things in the bottom right? Mines?

But one thing I will point out, Japan was actually on the allied side during WWI, and if you go by just a couple years of that setting, Prussia/Britain were still best buddies.

(And for one reason or another, the Japanese ships look like wheel-less steam locomotives... -_- )

DirtyJunkieScum

Feb 5, 2012
Iwata said:
So, anyone else playing this?

This game caught the wargaming world here by storm. I've never seen a game catch so fast with so many players all jumping in. The premise is really damn cool, with an alternate 1890's where five main factions battle in a World War for supremacy:

I would like a battleship miniatures wargame, but I'm not too keen on alternate history settings or the general steampunk aesthetic. Maybe if it was a naval version of flames of war covering WWI/II, but with the ability to make changes to ship designs I'd go for it. In fact if that was made I think I'd empty my bank account very quickly. As it is BFG will have to do for all my imaginary naval warfare needs.

SckizoBoy said:
Small fighter aircraft.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
SckizoBoy said:
Iwata said:
It's nice to see a new wargame picking up so fast, especially as I needed a break from 40K (seriously, fuck Codex Grey Knights, it broke the game to pieces).
Well, what did you expect, written as it was by Mat 'I wanna be fuckd by Roboute so hard, s'why I came up with Kaldor' Ward?! The club that I (used to) frequent severely frowns upon GK players and they only get the models for hobbying and customising purposes.

Still...

And the setting is really damn interesting, going for alternate history while staying familiar (Prussia allied with Japan against the Brits and the FSA).
Yeah, looks pretty interesting, though I have barely enough time to game in the conventional sense as it is... :(

But one thing I will point out, Japan was actually on the allied side during WWI, and if you go by just a couple years of that setting, Prussia/Britain were still best buddies.

(And for one reason or another, the Japanese ships look like wheel-less steam locomotives... -_- )
1- The tokens on the bottom right are "Tiny Flier" tokens, used to represent fighter craft, dive bombers and torpedo bombers.

2- The look of the Japanese ships is not accidental. The train was a Western symbol of progress in Japan at the end of the XIXth Century.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Iwata said:
2- The look of the Japanese ships is not accidental. The train was a Western symbol of progress in Japan at the end of the XIXth Century.
Looking at them again... I'm suddenly reminded of Battlefleet Gothic, though I prefer this one's aesthetic.

Are there any other factions, 'dja know?

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
SckizoBoy said:
Iwata said:
Looking at them again... I'm suddenly reminded of Battlefleet Gothic, though I prefer this one's aesthetic.

Are there any other factions, 'dja know?
They are quite similar. I always enjoyed BFG, and this is pretty much along the same lines. In fact, if you're familiar with BFG, you can easily pick this one up.

The factions as of now are the Federated States of America, the Empire of the Blazing Sun, the Prussian Empire, the Kingdom of Brittania and the Covenant of Antarctica.

In the next few weeks and months, they are releasing two new factions, the French and the Russians.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Dystopian Wars is picking up a fair bit over in my corner of the world- our uni gamesoc has a few players now, playing FSA, Britannians and Prussians.

I, playing up the mad scientist bit as ever, have my hands on the Covenant, with many spiders (Small walkers), a GIANT ENEMY CRAB (Large walker), some Star Destroyers (Medium Flyers), a Death Star (Flying Carrier) and a weaponised CERN on legs (Land Carrier).

Watching it being played (still getting my fleet together), I'm reminded of a tabletop version of Supreme Commander.