E3 2008: Escape TV: Velvet Assassin

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
PurpleRain said:
L.B. Jeffries said:
Well, call me a content junkie, I'll be playing this just so I can see a German take on World War 2. Sounds like they'll really be presenting a horrors of war game as opposed to glorifying it endlessly.
They've made (and Europe) many movies on the horrors, while Americans seem to make many movies like Saving Private Ryan. Boom Kabang Zork! Apparently it's a very touchy subject over there and for many many years they didn't talk about it like how Australians never talked about the stolen generations for many years.
Oh I don't know, 'The Paths of Glory' was pretty damn brutal and I enjoyed 'Downfall' immensely, though it wasn't American made. Honestly, outside of video games and the History Channel Americans don't seem to talk about it much either.

I more just meant seeing this area explored in a video game.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
L.B. Jeffries said:
PurpleRain said:
L.B. Jeffries said:
Well, call me a content junkie, I'll be playing this just so I can see a German take on World War 2. Sounds like they'll really be presenting a horrors of war game as opposed to glorifying it endlessly.
They've made (and Europe) many movies on the horrors, while Americans seem to make many movies like Saving Private Ryan. Boom Kabang Zork! Apparently it's a very touchy subject over there and for many many years they didn't talk about it like how Australians never talked about the stolen generations for many years.
Oh I don't know, 'The Paths of Glory' was pretty damn brutal and I enjoyed 'Downfall' immensely, though it wasn't American made. Honestly, outside of video games and the History Channel Americans don't seem to talk about it much either.

I more just meant seeing this area explored in a video game.
It would be good to do with games as well. I hated HATED CoD3 levels. There was too many explosions to take seriously and I'm not the one who wants to rush into a Hollywood movie on Speed.

As for the movies, I prefer European cinema to American anyday. While Holloywood wants to stay universal and please everyone with hyped up CGI and budgets the size of Godzilla, European cinema can pride itself on two things overlooked by the former: Story and Emotion.

UltraBlumpkin

Aug 1, 2008
Russ Pitts said:
Can someone explain why you guys keep filming the empty rooms? Is it like some non-conformist video editor that hates seeing shots of the convention?
That was the convention. Really. It was actually that sparse.

We've shot scenes at the "show floor" where a lot of companies had demo stations set up, and scenes at some of the booths, which were actually small meeting rooms. The "empty rooms" you're talking about are the vast, cavernous spaces you had to cross to go between the show floor and the meeting rooms.

In previous years those spaces had been filled with video screens, big, heavily constructed demo booths and advertisements for upcoming games and a giant list of other entertaining stuff. This year - just empty rooms.

The disappointment you're experiencing watching that footage mirrors our own at having to shoot it. This is why we say E3 was a disappointment. Obviously you agree ;)
Oh, well that is quite disappointing. The Escapist tends to have some off-beat humor, so I thought that might be part of it. Guess not, and so much for the Mecca of new games. Do you have any idea what caused E3 to be so small?

aegis7

Jun 20, 2007
I grudgingly have to say Velvet Assassin looks pretty good. I think it is more reminiscent of Bioshock in that it is a modified period FPS, although Bioshock did have a little more fantasy. Rayman Ravin' Rabbids was a fun game, and it looks like Party is going to just add more Wii multi-player fun.

SanitysRequiem

Nov 10, 2007
I found the wiki on the person this game is based on...pretty interesting.

And did I catch something about morphine? Did anyone else catch that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violette_Szabo