E3 2010: Portal 2 Teaser Has Jungle Fever

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
shirin238 said:
That looked plain awesome. Can't wait to do science again :D
lol indeed, I am also waiting to do science. :D

lol I love "I'm sure we can put our differences aside for science, you monster."

Dr. Paine

Oct 26, 2009
theultimateend said:
I remember a thread a while back about how it would be "Literally impossible" for them to have anything but sterile lab environments because the portals would generate "Billions of polygons" replicating things like trees :p.

Those posters can suck it apparently, Valve got around that impossibility :).
The impossible... is easy!

(YOU ALL KNEW IT WAS COMING)

Also, sorry to rain on the Companion Cube parade... but it looks like a STORAGE cube, not the Companion. The... distinct lack of pink kind of gives it away. (That, or I just have worse eyesight than I think.)

Dr. Paine

Oct 26, 2009
SteelStallion said:
Wait... is that in game footage?

Does anyone else think this game looks like the most gorgeous fucking thing ever, visually?
I was saying this from the first screenshots back in March.

Then again, I do have a thing for overgrown buildings, as well as clinical environments... and we've got peanut butter cups right here with them mixing :D

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Oh.

Oh my.

I, umm... I'll just be having a quiet rapturous fangasm over here. Nobody mind me.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
plastic_window said:
tzimize said:
I'm sceptical about the fact that it is also going to be released on PS3. This might be the first Valve-screwup in history. Hopefully it will be awesome, but I'll be extremely impressed if they can surpass the original, especially when catering to the console-crowd as well.
Why would releasing the game on Ps3 give you cause for concern?
Because making a game multiplatform has NEVER done anything good for a game. The game needs to be optimized to run on even more different systems, and also cater to different control sets/playing styles.

The PS3 controller is not as accurate as a mouse/keyboard, and hence Portal 2 cannot have maps that demand more than a certain accuracy/reflex time. I'm just afraid Portal 2 will be a lot less speedy and twitchy than the original to cater to the console crowd, read: Dumbed down.

The new Alien Vs. Predator is an excellent example of what I mean. Where the original on PC from 1999 was fast, twitchy and hectic (and actually fun) as few other games in existence, the new one (also made for xbox360) was like playing in porridge. This is in no doubt because the game was made originally for xbox360 and then ported to PC. Console controls have greater limitations ->when it comes to fpses<- than a mouse keyboard.

Disclaimer: I am not saying gamepads are worse, just worse at fpses. I would never play for example a fighting game with mouse/keyboard.

Disclaimer2: I am also not saying that you, the reader, cannot like console controls better than PC controls. I am simply saying that there is a greater potential for accuracy and speed in FPS games when it comes to mouse/keyboard. This potential translates to a limitation when you compare gamepads to mouse/kb.

Example: If I look left with the mouse, and decide I have to look the other way, I simply have to move the mouse the other way. The movement is constant and point-precise. On a gamepad I would have to stop moving the stick to the left, move it to a neutral position and move it to the right. I know this is a minor movement, but it takes a lot more work and is a lot less precise than using a mouse. This limitation can be painfully apparent to a PC-gamer if the game is made to cater to these limitations.

So. I am worried.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
BOOOOO! I wanted Half Life 3 announced :( As great as it is that ps3 peeps will be able to play it, I'd much rather have HL3, we already knew of portals existance

SCREW YOU FATMAN, SCREW YOU! WHERE THE BLOODY HELL IS MY HALF LIFE 3? RAGHHHHHHH ELVOR SMASH!

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
tzimize said:
Example: If I look left with the mouse, and decide I have to look the other way, I simply have to move the mouse the other way. The movement is constant and point-precise. On a gamepad I would have to stop moving the stick to the left, move it to a neutral position and move it to the right. I know this is a minor movement, but it takes a lot more work and is a lot less precise than using a mouse. This limitation can be painfully apparent to a PC-gamer if the game is made to cater to these limitations.
To play devil's advocate, in order to turn around 360 degrees on the PC, you almost inevitably have to lift the mouse and place it back onto your mouse mat, while the controller would only have to carry on holding the stick right. Different strokes for different folks. And, honestly, I think Portal is the sort of game where using the controller isn't a massive disadvantage compared to using the mouse and keyboard. And if you're not satisfied, break out the Hammer and make your own maps. And besides, I point to the Orange Box, where the console versions did no harm to the PC version. [small]Too many sentences starting with "And"[/small]

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Delusibeta said:
tzimize said:
To play devil's advocate, in order to turn around 360 degrees on the PC, you almost inevitably have to lift the mouse and place it back onto your mouse mat, while the controller would only have to carry on holding the stick right. Different strokes for different folks. And, honestly, I think Portal is the sort of game where using the controller isn't a massive disadvantage compared to using the mouse and keyboard. And if you're not satisfied, break out the Hammer and make your own maps. And besides, I point to the Orange Box, where the console versions did no harm to the PC version. [small]Too many sentences starting with "And"[/small]
Higher sensitivity? No lifting then, but if you barely use consoles then use them, the changes are really apparent, I mean if you use both about the same, you likely wont notice, but for me the change is as jarring as I imagine the jump from automatic to manual would be. I just dont like it :p

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
What elvor0 said. Sensitivity. I could compare it to WoW to. Turning with mouse or turning with keyboard. Mouse is superior. This is how bad the difference is (at least to me).

Granted the orange box didnt suffer, so I am not as sceptical as I was to AvP2010, but still.

My1stLuvJak

Jan 28, 2010
Oh, wow, am I excited...and I haven't even beat the first Portal, yet!! I have some serious catching up to do. The part with the columns rising out of the black goo of death had me stumped - I just couldn't stick my landings, jumping between the pillars. What a concept, though! Whoever thought of the portal idea is a bloody genius...it's difficult to think of another gadget that would be cooler than a portal gun.

Okay, time to shoot some more portals!

Evil the White

Apr 16, 2009
I so hope we're going to be able to have a shuffle through some of the areas from Portal with the new jungle theme. Not all of them mind, just a couple, like maybe the first coupkle of rooms and part of the last level.

Snowden's Secret

Apr 4, 2010
Oh, so "Jungle Fever" was a pun. Not like I believed otherwise, though....
Oh yeah, and the trailer is pretty awesome. Shall definitely get it (the game, that is).