E3 2010: The Legend of Zelda: The Skyward Sword

Phantom_Natal

Sep 2, 2009
zipzod said:
Phantom_Natal said:
My hype totally went down hill. I don't like the graphics.
Forget the graphics, the controls look horrendous! Did you see how Link maneuvered on screen?

Why is the slingshot back? It's such a useless item. It made sense in Ocarina because young Link can't use the Bow, and Adult Link can't use toy weapons. Majora's Mask and Wind Waker just left it out, and replace it with the bow. Didn't Nintendo how realize how pointless it is in Twilight Princess? You only use it for, at most, the first hour of the game. After that it just sits in your inventory. So why does it make a return in The Legend of Zelda: Wii Sports Resort?

Still, Zelda hasn't failed me before, so I am in fact looking forward to this.
Good for you, really.
I was too baffled, now you make me see the details... great.
I just don't know what to expect from the wii.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
Here's what I was thinking during the video. My first thought immediately was, "by the gods, I hope they did more innovation in this edition of Zelda than motion control." You cannot tell, but there is a sound of high hopes breaking. It sounds like a splinter, and a crash through 5 stories of rotten wood.

The following is a summery of Susans interview with my thoughts interjected in between.

Susan: So what's new in Links arsenal?
My thoughts: I bet it's one or two items, but the rest are re-hashes.
The Guy: Well there are two that I can talk about--
My thoughts: Nailed it.
The Guy: -- like the Whip, that Link can use to stun enemies, grab items, cross over to new areas."
My thoughts; So, like, the Grappling Hook?
Susan: Is the Whip replacing the Grappling Hook?
My thoughts; She's a sharp cookie, that one.
The Guy; Well it's hard to say, but the grappling hook doesn't actually appear in this version.
My thoughts; Because you repurposed it as a Whip. Same thing, different name.
Susan; *Susans Face says the same thing.*

SO at the end of the day, I can save myself a bunch of money and needless flailing about by plugging in my gamecube and Twilight Princess for the exact-same-experience. Hoorah.

I've been a fan of Legend of Zelda since the very first golden cart for the NES. I brought that pretty thing with me on the bus to school some days, to show off. It was golden, it was shiny, and it starred my favorite protagonist of the time; Link! I've had a long standing relationship with Link. :) It's been a good run.

Link, however, has gotten tired. Skating along on a few high points in his career, innovative thinking has become a thing of the past. Zelda 1 and 2 were totally different. Link to the Past was a return to the original style with beautiful 16 bit sprite graphics (then the gameboy versions emulated this model for a while). Then Link 3D, and the world was blown away! But it's been the same ever since. Nothing signifigent has changed.

Twilight Princess was the Zelda game I've been waiting for ever since A Link to the Past. Take away the part where Link shape shifts into a netherworld wolf, and the mood of the game, mature concepts, they were all spot on with what I've wanted. Now that I have had what I wanted, I don't want anything more out of Link's series of games. It's been a fun ride, but without serious innovation to keep the series fresh, I'm just not interested any more.

(Even though I didn't care for it visually, at least cell shaded versions were an attempt to be visually different.)

Look at Mega Man. He went through, what, 7 installments before Capcom redesigned Mega Man into Mega Man X. Same concept, new villain, and just enough innovation to keep the character fresh and interesting with fans. Mega Man went on to Legends, and that silly Megaman-is-in-the-internet thing. Not all innovations I personally enjoyed, but the creators weren't afraid to try new things with a popular character.

I'm done with Zelda, until proven otherwise, that it's not just like every other Zelda game.

Dragon Zero

No one of note
Apr 16, 2009
This is probably the first Zelda released on a console that I have to struggle in order to be interested in. Ever since I became aware of the series I've always been very eager to play the newest console games, hell Majora's Mask is my favorite game of all time and I was hooked from the first time I saw it at my friend's house when he received a promotional tape.

This one just seems like they just took the art of Wind Waker and added it to an improved Twilight Princess. I love both of those games but even I'm starting to get impatient with the series, it just feels like I've done this before (something I DIDN'T think of other entries) and that I shouldn't bother. Plus there's the motion control.

I don't hate the Wii like I guess I'm supposed to but I'll admit that its no for me. I'm perfectly willing to try motion control but I'd love to have the option of using a traditional control scheme. That is the reason why I didn't like Phantom Hourglass and am hesitant to try Spirit Tracks.

I should probably put a disclaimer that these are just initial impressions of a game not even close to completion. I'm willing to wait until its done or close to done to fully develop an Idea of whether I'll like it or not. I'm sure I'll find a slight reason to become interested in the coming months. As for the video I think Susan should check that guy's pulse b/c he doesn't seem to be exhibiting behavior associated with living creatures or spokesmen. The person playing seems to be under the impression that Link might try to shove his sword up his nose if not properly looked after. Susan was entertaining as always.