E3 2010: Zelda: Skyward Sword Preview

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Irridium said:
tomtom94 said:
Andothul said:
tomtom94 said:
To those of you complaining about the cel-shading and cartoony style - when was Zelda ever a realistic-looking game?
Ocarina of Time still features plenty of bright colours.

I think Skyward Sword should be excellent. I need to finish Twilight Princess first though.
There a difference between Zelda looking cartoony like wind waker and zelda have stylized realism aka Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess.

This game looks like the former and it disappoints me greatly.

/start flame
I get quite irritated by this, so I apologise if it seems I'm ranting and starting a flame war.

Right, now this I don't understand.
Why does the graphical style matter so much? Zelda has always been popular for its gameplay and as long as that is sound- what's the problem?
Was there this sort of outcry with Red Steel 2? (there probably was, actually)
Wind Waker was a gorgeous game in my opinion. The world sucked me in far better than Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess ever did. (they looked good - they just didn't immerse and absorb me as Wind Waker did)
I'm sorry but if you can't look past the graphics to the gameplay - the core of Zelda - then that's your problem. Don't make it anyone els'es.
I'm with your side. I never understood why the art style was so hated either.
It didn't detract from the gameplay at all. Wind Waker was still really, really fun.

OT: Glad to hear that the controls actually work. Because I was a little worried after the initial demo shown on stage.
I'd make a guess that some people are at that delicate age where anything that looks to cartoony brings into question their masculinity and/or maturity?

As for the new controls, from what it sounds like I've been waiting for something like this ever since I mastered the Die By the Sword VSIM mouse controls over 10 years ago. I doubt I'll be able to severe limbs, let alone pick them up and beat poor limbless saps with them, and I also doubt Link will be shouting colourful taunts in a British accent, but I'm praying to God Buddah Muhammed and Xenu that the gameplay delivers!

Benicus

Jul 28, 2008
Andothul said:
tomtom94 said:
To those of you complaining about the cel-shading and cartoony style - when was Zelda ever a realistic-looking game?

I think Skyward Sword should be excellent. I need to finish Twilight Princess first though.
There a difference between Zelda looking cartoony like wind waker and zelda have stylized realism aka Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess.

This game looks like the former and it disappoints me greatly.

/start flame
I thought that it was being done in this style as a kind of combination of the two styles, which I think if done correctly could look a lot nicer. Personally though I like both styles, and Wind Waker is my favourite Zelda at the moment :)

OT: I hope the controls work as promised and that they keep the dungeons as interesting and fun as ever; and this is a game I will definitely be getting.

IcarusPherae

Oct 1, 2009
JaredXE said:
So, is the game playable with a REAL controller and not just the spazmatic jerking of your arms?

Also, Link is right-handed because 90% of the populace is right-handed and the other 10% are freakish mutations.
what a great way to make friends, by insulting people for being different, freakish mutations that happen to house some of the worlds greatest minds. I'm hoping there will be a lefty setting for those of us that are southpawed like Link!

Rallion

Aug 10, 2009
They've stated that the sword will become the Master Sword, so that's the significance of the title. So I have to assume that on any timeline, this would have to come first, as well.

I like the graphical style because, like in Wind Waker, it makes the game more playable. It's really easy to see what's going on, which wasn't always the case in Twilight Princess, or lots of other games, for that matter. I prefer that, especially given how often Zelda games tend to get me to stare at a TV for 10 hours straight, rarely blinking, eyes drying out and vision blurring...

Covarr said:
Super Mario Galaxy (and 2) looked so damn good that even in standard definition it looked better than many 360 and PS3 games. It didn't need some crazy cel-shaded or watercolor art style to disguise the system's weaknesses, it worked around them and used the machine's strong points to create a truly incredible visual experience. I expect the same from Zelda: Skyward Sword.

P.S. Thanks
It didn't need a crazy art style because it's essentially a cartoon to start with. That makes a pretty big difference -- not a single thing in that game world is meant to look like a real-world item.

Urgh76

May 27, 2009
About 7 days late... but ok.....

OT: I'm liking it so far. I mean, he jumps off a freaking cliff!

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
royohz said:
Russ Pitts said:
Story-wise, we have absolutely no news. I can't even tell you what "skyward sword" refers to, other than the obvious reference to the enhanced motion controls. Internet rumors suggest that this new installment features a Link born in a land above the clouds, but let's hold off getting all woody over that until the official release.
One thing they mentioned in the actual demonstration of the game on-stage was that your sword charges when you point it upwards/skywards, and by slashing with your sword you will "shoot sword winds/beams". That seems like a pretty cheap element that doesn't really deserve to name the sequel, I actually dislike the title very much and isn't as exited as I probably should be.
Did you forget the swordbeams from the days of NES and SNES? I thought the return of the swordbeam was a nice shoutout to the Zelda games of old, even if the mechanics for shooting beams out my sword are a little different than remaining at full HP.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
I will still play this because I love the series (and will most likely love the game) but I have to say this.

Traditional control option, please? Also, Link is left handed Nintendo. Keep it that way.

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
tomtom94 said:
It's more that when Wind Waker was announced people were a little put off by the cel-shaded graphics because it was following in Ocarina and Marjora's wake. People wanted to see Link rendered in next generation graphics and when Nintendo heard the criticism they designed Twilight Princess with that in mind.

Going back to cel-shading at this point is like if BMW for arguments sake decided to remove a series of new safety features that were introduced in an earlier car model from their newest one because they think it looks better that way, despite the praise the new features received in the first place.

Rallion

Aug 10, 2009
Adzma said:
Going back to cel-shading at this point is like if BMW for arguments sake decided to remove a series of new safety features that were introduced in an earlier car model from their newest one because they think it looks better that way, despite the praise the new features received in the first place.
It's mind-boggling to me how many people simply ignore all the people, like myself, who appreciated the cel shading. They plug their ears and act as if the game was widely hated for the art style. A lot of people did hate it, sure, but what I've seen indicates that those people are not in the majority. At least not within the group of people who actually played the game.

Sprogus

The Lord of Dreams
Jan 8, 2009
I personally like the art style of this new game. I don't want everything to look all realistic. I live in reality, I play games to escape from that.

royohz

Official punching bag!
Jul 23, 2009
xyrafhoan said:
royohz said:
Russ Pitts said:
Story-wise, we have absolutely no news. I can't even tell you what "skyward sword" refers to, other than the obvious reference to the enhanced motion controls. Internet rumors suggest that this new installment features a Link born in a land above the clouds, but let's hold off getting all woody over that until the official release.
One thing they mentioned in the actual demonstration of the game on-stage was that your sword charges when you point it upwards/skywards, and by slashing with your sword you will "shoot sword winds/beams". That seems like a pretty cheap element that doesn't really deserve to name the sequel, I actually dislike the title very much and isn't as exited as I probably should be.
Did you forget the swordbeams from the days of NES and SNES? I thought the return of the swordbeam was a nice shoutout to the Zelda games of old, even if the mechanics for shooting beams out my sword are a little different than remaining at full HP.
No, of course I didn't forget about the old NES and SNES games, it's a nice touch, I admit that, but still, if that is the low limit of what titles can be made out of, then why not The Legend of Zelda: Rise Of The Deku Nut.