E3 2017 thread

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
undeadsuitor said:
Life Is Strange 2: Origin of Chloe

cause that's what we really needed
Yeah, not the route I expected them to take. Though it looks more like a mini-series before a full blown sequel, as there are only 3 episodes. Still, not sure how the gameplay is gonna work without the time powers and stuff.
Marik2 said:
It feels like not many people are watching E3
I just check this thread and other parts of the internet occasionally for the highlights. I can't stand just watching the full events.

Also, Xbox One X. Wow. Great name. Up there with Wii-U for dumb console names.

EDIT: Actually, speaking of the Xbox, how come they never seem to actually show many exclusives? Most of the stuff seems to be multi-plat, and it's the same for years. Are Xbox's list of exclusives really that dire this gen?

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Microsoft have done a fantastic job at E3 this year......at convincing me to stick with Nintendo and also move over from Xbox to Playstation

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
I'm not a big Microsoft fan and half those games you don't need a Xbox to play but I really did like that they cut the bullshit and just showed the games, and it had surprising variety. Overall a really good conference.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
HOLY SHIT NEW METRO. I did not see that one coming, but it sure made for a pleasant surprise.

New Ori is also a pleasant twist, but I'm concerned that the video lists it as "Xbox one and Windows 10 exclusive", because the win10 store is hot garbage and I refuse to use it. And I say that as someone who never had issues with Origin or Uplay, that's how fuckawful it is.

Crackdown 3 appears to have dropped the destruction physics and my interest with them. Not entirely surprising but still disappointing.

Anthem gameplay looks terrible. Empty boring open world, floaty zero impact third person shooting, and a story with no hook. Pass, especially with Destiny 2 coming this September.

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
I just watched a bit of the Anthem gameplay. Eeeeeh, doesn't look great. I also hate hate horribly fake and scripted dialogue they do for multiplayer 'gameplay'. It's like their trying to fool you into thinking its a singleplayer game. Nobody every talks like that online, thats a guarantee.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
undeadsuitor said:

Unless they introduce somekind of time mechanic to change shit and cause paradoxes or something, yeah what's the point? We know her dad dies, we know what happens to Rachel, and we know how Chloe is going to end up by the end.

OT: The only thing that got my pulse to rise a bit was The Last Night. That looked cool. Everything else was bland is fuck. That new Assassin's Creed looked so generic it gave me a migraine.

DaCosta

Aug 11, 2016
LOL Their new console is the XBONEX? Shit, is their next console after that gonna go whole hog and be called xxXBONEXxx420, to appeal to their demographic?

As for the games themselves, Assassin's Creed Origins may have stayed an extra year in the oven, but the result appears to be the same old shit we've been playing for 10 years now.

And Anthem? Pfft. I'll echo what major_chaos said, not impressive, particularly in a year with Destiny 2 right around the corner. Not that they see it as competition mind you, Anthem is scheduled to come out in 2018, so expect it to be released in 2019, so it's not like the two games are going head to head or anything, but it does take some of the shine off the reveal knowing we have something else doing pretty much the same thing coming out in a few months.

Another point in the Anthem/Destiny comparison I think is very important: a lot of games came out in the past few years and felt like glorified "proof of concepts". Unfinished, boring, lacking content, and just generally not living up to their potential. Then a couple years later a better sequel comes out and we feel like that's what the first game should have been in the first place. Destiny 1 and 2 are shaping up to be exactly that. So I feel more confident in Bungie and Activision correcting some past mistakes and building upon what they had, they Bioware's first effort at making the "Bob Dylan of videogames" (seriously, that's how they described it).

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
I was impressed by Microsoft's line-up. A variety of titles, some of which I hadn't heard of before.

And Cuphead has a release date. Finally.

XBox One X? Seriously? XBox with one x is just a box. Although Laura K. Buzz pointed out that the initials spell out XBOX.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
undeadsuitor said:
the only hope for it is if all those red herring/fan theories about Rachel having time powers like Max are true. and maybe we get to see what someone fucking with the timeline looks like from a third person perspective, and somehow Rachel erases her memories by the end

or something
That would still suck and make the whole game experience meaningless. Give the ability to write the whole Max story out of existence, then you'd have something interesting. Like what if you were allowed to alter shit in this prequel based on your knowledge and experience from the first game? Remember that one bit in LiS (the best bit) where...

...you travel back to the start of the game with all this knowledge of who's who and you get to confront everyone with it?

What if that was the entire prequel, but depended on how well you knew the first game?

but its probably just gonna be chloe screaming for a couple of hours as her life falls apart
So basically glorified fanfiction.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Casual Shinji said:
undeadsuitor said:

Unless they introduce somekind of time mechanic to change shit and cause paradoxes or something, yeah what's the point? We know her dad dies, we know what happens to Rachel, and we know how Chloe is going to end up by the end.

OT: The only thing that got my pulse to rise a bit was The Last Night. That looked cool. Everything else was bland is fuck. That new Assassin's Creed looked so generic it gave me a migraine.
I feel everyone is being to harsh on the new AC or the franchise in general because with the exception of AC Unity they clearly put effort in the games.

I mean what more could you possibly want out of the franchise?

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
I feel everyone is being to harsh on the new AC or the franchise in general because with the exception of AC Unity they clearly put effort in the games.

Either something actually different or just for it to go away. Cuz guess what this new Assassin's Creed looks like... more Assassin's Creed. Which is exactly what people got tired of and why Ubisoft supposedly gave the series a year off. But as it stands Ubisoft can't break out of their design philosophy of making every new game just a slightly different combination of the same tired open-world game mechanics.

I was dry-heaving throughout that entire trailer. I longer even have the stomach content to vommit up anything substantial at the thought of a new shitty Ubisoft game.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Casual Shinji said:
Samtemdo8 said:

Either something actually different or just for it to go away. Cuz guess what this new Assassin's Creed looks like... more Assassin's Creed. Which is exactly what people got tired of and why Ubisoft supposedly gave the series a year off. But as it stands Ubisoft can't break out of their design philosophy of making every new game just a slightly different combination of the same tired open-world game mechanics.

I was dry-heaving throughout that entire trailer. I longer even have the stomach content to vommit up anything substantial at the thought of a new shitty Ubisoft game.
We went from Medieval Europe, to Pirates, to Victorian England, to Ancient Egypt.

What more do you want!?