E3 2017 thread

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Bob_McMillan said:
I'm pretty sure that's more than most people can say.
Hah, please. I can add to the list:

-I have one of the Borderlands graphic novels, but have never played any of the games.

-I've read the first two Dragon Age novels, have one of the graphic novels, and the 'World of Thedas' sourcebook, and I've never played a Dragon Age game.

-I read the Doom 3 novels years before playing Doom 3.

-I read all most of the Diablo novels before playing the games (well, bar playing some of D2 when it was first released).

-I've read pretty much every Mass Effect novel and some of the comics, but have only ever really played the first game

-I've read the two Resistance novels, but have never played the games.

-I've kept up to date with WoW lore, reading comics and novels, even though I've barely played WoW, as it was the RTS games that got me into the setting.

And so on.

B-Cell said:
New Wolfenstein looks pretty bad. Looks exact same as new order. and look another game announced with release date few month later. no more extra development time.

Now look at Metro Exodus. its a deep ambitious project and its getting release by the end of next year to make sure it will be masterpiece.

machinegames just change the entire theme of wolfenstein game. now look at music. RTCW has one of the GOAT soundtrack and feel like badass. not this some shitty 60s songs with more and more cinematic and scripted events.
Not that I really care about either, but this is just one big fallacy.

The time between reveal and release doesn't indicate anything unless you know when development began. You can't assume that either game had more or less development time than the other.

Also, complaining about changing the theme of Wolfenstein is a bit...odd, considering how the series went from isometric stealth (first two games), to FPS with a cybernetic theme (Id) to supernatural-themed (Raven Soft) to Machine Games' current take. Wolfenstein has always been about killing Nazis, but its tone has shifted wildly throughout its run.

Also, since the game takes place in the 1960s...what? You think there'd be songs from the 1940s?

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Samtemdo8 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Casual Shinji said:
Samtemdo8 said:
I feel everyone is being to harsh on the new AC or the franchise in general because with the exception of AC Unity they clearly put effort in the games.

I mean what more could you possibly want out of the franchise?
Either something actually different or just for it to go away. Cuz guess what this new Assassin's Creed looks like... more Assassin's Creed. Which is exactly what people got tired of and why Ubisoft supposedly gave the series a year off. But as it stands Ubisoft can't break out of their design philosophy of making every new game just a slightly different combination of the same tired open-world game mechanics.

I was dry-heaving throughout that entire trailer. I longer even have the stomach content to vommit up anything substantial at the thought of a new shitty Ubisoft game.
We went from Medieval Europe, to Pirates, to Victorian England, to Ancient Egypt.

What more do you want!?
If it were up to me, Feudal Japan.
Why is Feudal Japan more special than Ancient Egypt?
Ancient historical background, new ideas of stealth strategies or ways of designing weaponry.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
We went from Medieval Europe, to Pirates, to Victorian England, to Ancient Egypt.

What more do you want!?
Something more than just a palette swap.

Just going to another place or popular time in history isn't going to cut it anymore. It's the open-world, busy work type of gameplay Ubisoft has been applying to every fucking game they've made since Assassin's Creed 2 (2009) that needs to change. Like for example, add giant robot dinosaurs (Horizon: Zero Dawn), or make it all about the exploration (Zelda: Breath of the Wild). Something that feels NEW.

Right now it seems the only reason they took a one-year break with this series was not to reinvent it and make it fresh again, but so that hopefully the general public will have forgotten how bland this franchise had gotten.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Ezekiel said:
The Evil Within 2 is the first tantalizing news from E3 for me. I hope Mikami is directing. But if he was, they probably would have written that.
For sure, loved the first game. But no worries, on the game's official page it's stated Mikami is the director again:

From mastermind Shinji Mikami, The Evil Within 2 is the latest evolution of survival horror.
https://theevilwithin2.bethesda.net/en

I hope Ikumi Nakamura is also still involved though her creature designs were fantastic.

Nedoras

Jan 8, 2010
tf2godz said:
I hate everything about Bethesda set up, it's so much cringe

EDIT: We know all about this, All of these games are released, move on Bethesda.
My favorite bit was the constant reminder of "hey guys, hey do you remember Fallout 4 and Skyrim? Do you remember those games we made? Boy they sure are great right? We're totally not filling time :D". They basically just ran in circles and did nothing for half the damn conference showing games that have been out for quite some time now. "Hey look at this card game we released a while back. Know what it needs? It needs some Skyrim! Did that catch your attention? You guys remember Skyrim right? SKKYYYYYRRRRIIMMMMM". I actually like the Elder Scrolls Legends but eeeeehhhhhh. Come on Bethesda, stop it with the damn Skyrim already yeah?

Microsoft's show was actually alright this year. When they showed Assassin's Creed though it really looked like a complete trainwreck. They did change things up a bit...but in ways that baffle me. The bird possession mechanic for example just ruins the nature of planning out an assassination. Why think about what you have to do, or have to think on your feet when you can just have a bird mark every single damn enemy in the area? The loot aspect just seems to be them desperately trying to latch onto something that will attract people to their game (look guys, LOOT! You people love loot right? I mean it's the hip thing now right?!?! Please love this one...please =(". Then there's the combat which...what the fuck was that? It looked so damn clunky and terrible...the animations were so damn stiff and...I just don't understand. I remember someone at Ubisoft last year saying they wanted Assassin's Creed to be truly different, that they wanted the gameplay to have dynamic moments that tell little stories. Well...that just looked like Assassin's Creed but Egypt and oh yeah there's loot n' magic birds this time. Unless there's a lot we're not seeing, I don't see it winning over fans that they've long lost.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Devolver doing an all night pre pre show. Presumably because nobody else is using this time, and Devolver saw an opportunity.
It's like a 8-hour live Tim and Eric marathon with some of the most random and sometimes artsy stuff ever.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Caramel Frappe said:
Super unrealistic but i'm hoping that From Software either does two things ....

1. Announce another IP / game they're working on.
2. Release Bloodborne onto the PC / other consoles

Very unlikely, hell I don't even know if they're attending this year's E3 but one could only dream.
Please, Please #2. I feel bad at work because I work with a big Souls fan. I'm currently playing BB for the first time and telling him about it. The reason I feel bad is because he owns an XBOX ONE(as well as a PC). So he can't play BB unless either he gets a PS4 or Sony releases it's BB hostage(Demons Souls would be nice too). Honestly, there's no real excuse for not letting FROM port Demons Souls considering the PS3 is now dead.

I want to let him borrow my PS4 and BB, but I can't do that until I finish it.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
Leg End said:
Bob_McMillan said:
The new Wolfenstein looks pretty good
B-Cell said:
New Wolfenstein looks pretty bad
I'm getting conflicting signals.
Never, NEVER listen to bcell, that's the first rule of this forum.

B-Cell said:
New Wolfenstein looks pretty bad. Looks exact same as new order. and look another game announced with release date few month later. no more extra development time.

Now look at Metro Exodus. its a deep ambitious project and its getting release by the end of next year to make sure it will be masterpiece.

machinegames just change the entire theme of wolfenstein game. now look at music. RTCW has one of the GOAT soundtrack and feel like badass. not this some shitty 60s songs with more and more cinematic and scripted events.

Yes because everyone knows 3+ years isn't enough to make a great game. Also did you even play the Metro games? There are tons of scripted events in those games.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
B-Cell said:

Yes because everyone knows 3+ years isn't enough to make a great game. Also did you even play the Metro games? There are tons of scripted events in those games.
He also forgot (or chose to ignore) the fact that that Metro: Exodus trailer was completely scripted and probably prerendered.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
undeadsuitor said:
Life Is Strange 2: Origin of Chloe

cause that's what we really needed
yes it is! give me more damn it !!!

its also good to see dishonoured getting some more love too

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
How have I not previously tweaked that Escapist is like, 90% hipsters?!

I mean, everything mainstream and popular is hated.
Sports are hated.
Please, look at this indie darling made by 3 people in their shed
What about this work, which is entirely driven by a passionate artist with no hooks from companies who care about profit.

Etc etc etc.

Hipsters everywhere!

Everything makes sense now!

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
Elijin said:

Sports are hated.
What about this work, which is entirely driven by a passionate artist with no hooks from companies who care about profit.

Etc etc etc.

Hipsters everywhere!

mainstream is sooo 2016 and sports? not enough dismemberment

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
Elijin said:

Sports are hated.

Etc etc etc.

Hipsters everywhere!

I thought the Microsoft one was okay just because it got to the point and show decent variety. But yeah I hated the other two and I'll explain why.

EA was a whole lot of nothing but one inde game and Battlefront 2 (which was the game we already knew was coming out). I've always hated the sports segments because we already know that shit's coming out and it eats so much time. If EA wanted to show the sports games that should have been in the Montage fashion.

The Bethesda conference would have been good if it just announced Evil Within 2, Dishonored dlc and Wolfenstein 2. The presentation was awful and cringe inducing. Over two-thirds of it was stuff already released and then milking Skyrim. And the paid mods being back was just the icing on the top of the conference.

The worst part about those two conferences where they were mostly boring, there was nothing to even snark about. It was quite unpleasant experience.

I hope the last three conferences are at least interesting

aozgolo

Mar 15, 2011
Has there been any AAA NEW IPs announced so far or are we seeing nothing but sequels, spin-offs, DLCs, and reboots from big companies?