E3: Battlefield 3

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
E3: Battlefield 3

I love Paris in the wartime.

I'd already had a chance to check out the insanely amazing visuals of the single player Battlefield 3 mission Thunder Run featured earlier in the week, so this time around DICE offered to let me play through the urban multiplayer mission, Operation Metro. Set in the heart of downtown Paris, the new mission differs quite a bit from the tank race across the wide-open deserts. It's a cramped, infantry heavy fight where the enemy is often just across the street.

My team, the Americans, start off in the middle of a beautiful park. Just on the other side, the Russians have set up a pair of anti-aircraft guns that are preventing my planes from coming in and bombing the hell out of their position. Our team pushes forward from the start to try to demolish the AA guns. The firefights in the wooded park spill over into the adjoining side streets before we finally manage to get in around behind the enemies and plant the charges on the guns.

With them out of the way, our planes come in low and fast and smash the barrier leading to the Paris Metro. Heading underground through the tunnels and trains of the Paris subway system, there's plenty of opportunity for even more close-in fighting, which is perfect for a light machinegun fan like myself. The platforms are connected by short passageways, which, along with the trains themselves, provide plenty of opportunity to sneak up on someone. As we move past the ticket counter, we emerge into the streets again where we assault the Russian's final position. This final phase of the battle takes place with the forces fighting across a narrow city street, where there's very little place to hide.

Though you can still customize your kits and weapons, the developers have made some key changes to the overall class system in Battlefield 3. First, the medic and assault classes have been merged. The reasoning was based on two key features: first, the assault guys were doing most of the dying and, second, the medics weren't designed to fight as close to the front lines as the assault guys. With the old system, assault guys would die waiting for medics to come up to the point of contact with the enemy. Now, assault players will have their own health packs and paddles and can rescue each other as they go down.

The support class has also been changed a bit. Most players who drift towards the light machinegun, myself included, like to use it as a run and gun weapon. But the designers decided to add a bipod that can be deployed on almost any surface to increase the weapon's stability. This makes the support class much more effective, not just in terms of taking out enemies, but also in terms of using the game's new suppression system. Now when you come under fire, your screen will blur and you'll get a bit of an overlay to hamper your accuracy. It clears up in a second, but it's a nice way to give the support guys something to do to keep enemies' heads down. Support soldiers also earn points for suppression now, which makes it a very attractive tactic in multiplayer.

The other two classes have had changes as well. The engineer is still heavily vehicle focused, both on offense and defense, but now he also has a flashlight slung under his rifle that he can use to blind his enemies in the cramped, dim subway tunnels. The recon class, better known as the sniper, now benefits from the ability of all classes to go prone but the developers have added weapon glint and a slight sway when aiming to keep them from being overpowered.

It's nice to see DICE taking measures to make the game more meaningful and balanced. Given the flow of the multiplayer mission we played, the changes to the new classes seem to be a substantial improvement over previous games in the series. We'll be first in line to try it out when the game ships October 25 for the PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.

See all our coverage directly from the show floor. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e3_2011 ]

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I dont know how I feel about the weapon sway idea, I mean just adjusting for bullet fall and travel time in bad company 2 seemed to be enough on its own, I hope they dont get rid of those mechanics

Low Key

May 7, 2009
I built my first gaming PC for Skyrim, but BF3 is like icing on the cake.

Loud Hawk said:
I just want his now, right now.

Now, who do I have blow to get this game now?
This guy

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
Worgen said:
I dont know how I feel about the weapon sway idea, I mean just adjusting for bullet fall and travel time in bad company 2 seemed to be enough on its own, I hope they dont get rid of those mechanics
They'll keep them in, I'm sure. It was sort of annoying for people all up on realism, like me, to be aiming the sniper rifle as steadily as if it was on a bipod or something. I'm hoping there'll be a 'hold breath' button, like in CoD.

Love all of the features. I love to be a medic and help my team out like that, but never liked also being put into the support role. Now I can combine it with my favoured method of combat.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
Wierd , if I recall correctly the REAL issue with the kits from BFBC2 ( the previous BF ish type game with 4 kit system ) was assualt guys using the ammo packs to camp and spam GL shots at choke points, and it was the medics at the front chain ressing each other and abusing revive invunrability.

... it was like trying to kill the undead , you can knock 'em down but they kept rising again, and again , and again ...noooo!!!

Err, oh , umm... where was I ?

Oh yeah, so how does giving the assualt class the paddles solve the night of the living alive and dead and alive ?

Let me be clear, I approve of the changes to the kits but the reason given wasnt valid.
I hope there is some major delay in paddle use or no revive invunrability.
I also hope that LMG's are not as accurate as they are in BFBC2, there they can snipe out snipers at range... while the sniper is working out the bullet drop the LMG is just putting the red dot on the sniper and tapping the fire button for 1-2 bullet burst fire.

... heres hoping BF 3 delivers.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Finally the words suppressing fire will have meaning in an online FPS. This is huge in terms of realism and playstyles.

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
ASnogarD said:
Wierd , if I recall correctly the REAL issue with the kits from BFBC2 ( the previous BF ish type game with 4 kit system ) was assualt guys using the ammo packs to camp and spam GL shots at choke points, and it was the medics at the front chain ressing each other and abusing revive invunrability.

... it was like trying to kill the undead , you can knock 'em down but they kept rising again, and again , and again ...noooo!!!

Err, oh , umm... where was I ?

Oh yeah, so how does giving the assualt class the paddles solve the night of the living alive and dead and alive ?

Let me be clear, I approve of the changes to the kits but the reason given wasnt valid.
I hope there is some major delay in paddle use or no revive invunrability.
I also hope that LMG's are not as accurate as they are in BFBC2, there they can snipe out snipers at range... while the sniper is working out the bullet drop the LMG is just putting the red dot on the sniper and tapping the fire button for 1-2 bullet burst fire.

... heres hoping BF 3 delivers.
In Battlefield 2142 the Assault Class had the medkit and defib, that worked fine.
As long as the squad play is back to old battlefield standard as opposed to bad company, all should be well.

Gr8gam3r

Apr 18, 2009
Worgen said:
It's to counter being able to go prone. A prone sniper is more hidden than a crouched one and has a significant advantage in long grass. Personally, I think they should stick with the Bad Company 2 mechanics but reduce the rate of fire, perhaps by slowing down the speed you enter the scope at.

Frost27

Good news everyone!
Jun 3, 2011
I'm not too happy about the sniper changes. The sniper class was already pretty well balanced as it was. The upside is you have range on a high damage weapon, the balance to that was that refire rates were slow (on the appropriately high damage ones) and you had to lose sight of your target to chamber the next round. Also, you had to calculate drop and leading. Distance lethality was balanced out by the fact that up close, you were pretty well toast. Also, no game that has EVER incorporated crosshairs sway has done it even remotely close to realistic.

With the bipod ability "greatly increasing accuracy" I forsee the M60 becoming the new sniper rifle of choice with no drop or sway.

I also agree totally about the night of the living dead chain revives switching to assault now, though that never bothered me all that much. More kills equals more points, more revives mean more people to kill.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
AmrasCalmacil said:
Worgen said:
They'll keep them in, I'm sure. It was sort of annoying for people all up on realism, like me, to be aiming the sniper rifle as steadily as if it was on a bipod or something. I'm hoping there'll be a 'hold breath' button, like in CoD.

Love all of the features. I love to be a medic and help my team out like that, but never liked also being put into the support role. Now I can combine it with my favoured method of combat.
I never liked the holding breath mechanic, medal of honor does it and it bugs the crap out of me, it totally ignores the ability to use something to help you brace your gun so its not really more realistic, just annoying

there is a slight amount of scope drift in bad company 2 and I think that works fine since your not having to fight some seriously swaying arms in it

Rarhnor

Jun 2, 2010
So, BF3 is a hush-hush continuation of BFBC2? Why, not just make BFBC3, screw Battlefield 3, and write me a story, I can at least pretend, I care about?

But, no... I forgot for a moment EA was run by feces-throwing monkeys.

Bobzer77

May 14, 2008
Rarhnor said:
So, BF3 is a hush-hush continuation of BFBC2? Why, not just make BFBC3, screw Battlefield 3, and write me a story, I can at least pretend, I care about?

But, no... I forgot for a moment EA was run by feces-throwing monkeys.
BFBC2's story was a pile of heaping dung compared to the first.

I just want some massive 64 player, vehicle inclusive, eject from a jet from 30f and c4 a tank action, on max graphics with 60 fps on my pc.

Is that too much to ask?

Baradiel

Mar 4, 2009
Oh, god. Ofcourse its the Russians. I'm not surprised, but I was slightly hoping it wouldn't be the Russians. I know they're one of the only military forces in the world that could compete with the billions of 'defence' spending the US military gets, but still... Russians.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this. Is this campaign going to be linked the BFBC2's story? If so, I hope the Legionnaire is at least mentioned.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Weapon sway? Oh fuck, it's the thing that ruined Call of Duty sniping!

SNIPERFOX ft. Harry P.Ness said:
YAY! another cold war fantasist wank game! this is just another FPS for me to skip!
What a clever observation, there is a whole genre of modern day, military based first person shooters! I never noticed! And the crazy thing is, most of them cast a semi-plausible nation for us to fight, and almost all of them are Russia! Wow, that's totally similar to the cold war, you're right!

Hey, I noticed something else. JRPG protagonists tend to be slightly to very androgynous! And those swords are out of proportion!

Worgen said:
AmrasCalmacil said:
Worgen said:

I never liked the holding breath mechanic, medal of honor does it and it bugs the crap out of me, it totally ignores the ability to use something to help you brace your gun so its not really more realistic, just annoying

there is a slight amount of scope drift in bad company 2 and I think that works fine since your not having to fight some seriously swaying arms in it
Yeah, this. If I wanted to play as an asthmatic sniper I'd run around for a few hours and play airsoft, not Battlefield. At the very least it should be still when prone.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Steve Butts said:
-snip- Just on the other side, the Russians have set up a pair of anti-aircraft guns...-snip-
Wai, woah, woah, Hey, wait!! Do you say "russians" as a synonym for "bad guys" (Not that I can blame you), or do you mean literally Russians? I thought BF3 was a "Real life" based conflict in the Middle East (Iraq and Iran)? Or is this going to continue the Bad company 2 "storyline" (I use that word loosely)?

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Worgen said:
AmrasCalmacil said:
Worgen said:

Well they have prone now, so maybe that will reduce sway to a bare minimum? And to be honest that's a how a sniper WORKS right? Get to a vantage point, go prone, pick your shots, make them count? Well, that's what Battlefield sniping is anyway...