E3: Battlefield 3

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Nooo! I like surprising people as a frontline medic with an infinite supply of reinforcements!

Damn, now I'll just have to find some other niche gameplay style to exploit and feel superior about...

Crazyjay

Jan 6, 2010
for weapon sway, they had it in the first battlefield game, so if they keep it like that I will love it. for those who dont know how 1942 swayed work, it pretty much ment if you didn't know how it worked, you would have to wait 5 seconds before taking a shot, which ment snipers were only good in good players hands.

MadMechanic

Nov 6, 2009
GrizzlerBorno said:
Wai, woah, woah, Hey, wait!! Do you say "russians" as a synonym for "bad guys" (Not that I can blame you), or do you mean literally Russians? I thought BF3 was a "Real life" based conflict in the Middle East (Iraq and Iran)? Or is this going to continue the Bad company 2 "storyline" (I use that word loosely)?
Unless they drastically changed the plot since I last saw it, it wasn't "real life", more...slightly...inspired by RL, in that there's a war in the Middle East. The rest seems to be WW3.
The teams were: US (USMC I think), the fictional EU Coalition, Russia and the fictional Middle East Coaliton.

The new vehicle combat/destruction sounds interesting, the ability to bail out of your tank before it explodes.
Am I the only person who liked the 'good old days' when the engineer and the anti-tank trooper hadn't spawned a child? I don't understand why they were combined in BF:MC2. I don't mind the other class combinations though.

blue heartless

Legacy
Aug 28, 2005
But where are the dinosaurs? I believe we were promised dinosaurs? I might get this installment. If it's any good I'll consider the rest.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
MadMechanic said:
GrizzlerBorno said:
Wai, woah, woah, Hey, wait!! Do you say "russians" as a synonym for "bad guys" (Not that I can blame you), or do you mean literally Russians? I thought BF3 was a "Real life" based conflict in the Middle East (Iraq and Iran)? Or is this going to continue the Bad company 2 "storyline" (I use that word loosely)?
Unless they drastically changed the plot since I last saw it, it wasn't "real life", more...slightly...inspired by RL, in that there's a war in the Middle East. The rest seems to be WW3.
The teams were: US (USMC I think), the fictional EU Coalition, Russia and the fictional Middle East Coaliton.

The new vehicle combat/destruction sounds interesting, the ability to bail out of your tank before it explodes.
Am I the only person who liked the 'good old days' when the engineer and the anti-tank trooper hadn't spawned a child? I don't understand why they were combined in BF:MC2. I don't mind the other class combinations though.
So Battlefield 2 without the Chinese? Yeah I could go with that.

And they combined them cause the Engineer class was blumming BORING without anything to do but repair, and camp people with a shotgun.

Devil's Due

Sep 27, 2008
Finally, some balance to the Sniper (we don't even really call it Recon anymore) class! Too long have the bush-wookies been allowed to mess up entire games by camping out and just getting extreme kill-streaks. This would cause a chain reaction where there are dozens of videos of nearly 70%+ of the entire team is a Sniper, resulting in loss of the team by not advancing forward or just letting the position getting overrun. I honestly wish the Sniper class would just go away, or limit it to about 2 people per team max, but I know that'll never happen.

Next... why are the Americans in France, as well? I'm American, I love being the big ol' sheriff of the world at times, and I'm joining the U.S. military as well, but every game I notice we're always there. It makes sense during a NATO incident that we'd be there to help, but it just feels overused when we're always in France in BF3, MW3, etc. I'd love to see a game that involves the Americans being overrun, and having the French come and rescue them last minute, and then later on in the game the reverse is happening and we save the day. Sort of like a "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" storyline would be pretty neat.

Oh well, I'll probably get too distracted by the graphics and loud noises to listen to the storyline too in-depth when it comes out.

Rarhnor

Jun 2, 2010
Bobzer77 said:
Rarhnor said:
So, BF3 is a hush-hush continuation of BFBC2? Why, not just make BFBC3, screw Battlefield 3, and write me a story, I can at least pretend, I care about?

But, no... I forgot for a moment EA was run by feces-throwing monkeys.
BFBC2's story was a pile of heaping dung compared to the first.

I just want some massive 64 player, vehicle inclusive, eject from a jet from 30f and c4 a tank action, on max graphics with 60 fps on my pc.

Is that too much to ask?
I'm just saying the release of BF3 makes no sense. It speaks of it as a continuation of BFBC2, but they are 2 different games. The problem I have that it isn't a continuation. The campaign is gonna be skirmish battlefields, with the kind of apparent story, that makes BFBC2's campaign look like the first BFBC's.
No, it isn't too much to ask for quality multiplayer, but that doesn't excuse a crucifixion of the singleplayer.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Well, BF2142 merged the Medic and Assault class together. However, I think you had to choose which branch you wanted to follow. So you couldn't have all the grenades in the world AND revive/heal all your squadmates at the same time. BF2142 had "only" 4 classes, but those 4 could choose 2 different specializations after some unlocks.

Bobzer77

May 14, 2008
Rarhnor said:
Bobzer77 said:
Rarhnor said:
So, BF3 is a hush-hush continuation of BFBC2? Why, not just make BFBC3, screw Battlefield 3, and write me a story, I can at least pretend, I care about?

But, no... I forgot for a moment EA was run by feces-throwing monkeys.
BFBC2's story was a pile of heaping dung compared to the first.

I just want some massive 64 player, vehicle inclusive, eject from a jet from 30f and c4 a tank action, on max graphics with 60 fps on my pc.

Is that too much to ask?
I'm just saying the release of BF3 makes no sense. It speaks of it as a continuation of BFBC2, but they are 2 different games. The problem I have that it isn't a continuation. The campaign is gonna be skirmish battlefields, with the kind of apparent story, that makes BFBC2's campaign look like the first BFBC's.
No, it isn't too much to ask for quality multiplayer, but that doesn't excuse a crucifixion of the singleplayer.
Battlefield was never about single player though, it was the original multiplayer large scale shooter. 1941, 2142 and 2 didn't have single player at all.

Loud Hawk

Jun 8, 2009
Low Key said:
I built my first gaming PC for Skyrim, but BF3 is like icing on the cake.

Loud Hawk said:
I just want his now, right now.

Now, who do I have blow to get this game now?
This guy
It looks like someone else is already busy down there.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
blue heartless said:
But where are the dinosaurs? I believe we were promised dinosaurs? I might get this installment. If it's any good I'll consider the rest.
where have you been?
and if your trying to troll, go troll the MW3 crowd.

OT: I do miss the special ops class (BFBC1), was so much fun to go around with my uzi and plant c4 on walls a sniper was using to hide behind.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
Worgen said:
AmrasCalmacil said:
Worgen said:
I dont know how I feel about the weapon sway idea, I mean just adjusting for bullet fall and travel time in bad company 2 seemed to be enough on its own, I hope they dont get rid of those mechanics
They'll keep them in, I'm sure. It was sort of annoying for people all up on realism, like me, to be aiming the sniper rifle as steadily as if it was on a bipod or something. I'm hoping there'll be a 'hold breath' button, like in CoD.

Love all of the features. I love to be a medic and help my team out like that, but never liked also being put into the support role. Now I can combine it with my favoured method of combat.
I never liked the holding breath mechanic, medal of honor does it and it bugs the crap out of me, it totally ignores the ability to use something to help you brace your gun so its not really more realistic, just annoying

there is a slight amount of scope drift in bad company 2 and I think that works fine since your not having to fight some seriously swaying arms in it
Did you play on PC? Because there was none on consoles. Regardless, I'm switching over platform for this one, but I'm hoping there'll be bipods on the sniper rifles as well, so you can find a vantage point and set up your rifle steadily there.

Oh, and for those wondering about Russians, there's some choppy USMC Force Recon vs Spetsnaz gameplay in this video.

Hachura

Nov 28, 2007
Devil said:
I honestly wish the Sniper class would just go away, or limit it to about 2 people per team max, but I know that'll never happen.
Sir/Ma'am, allow me to buy you a beer. And let us form a club with other likeminded individuals who appreciate real gameplay, instead of a half hour 21-sniper campfest.