E3 Boycot

jiroprime

Jun 14, 2011
Hey Guys,

So I recently watched a video from Extra Credits regarding SOPA and PIPA, and how the ESA claims to represent the gaming community in its support of SOPA and PIPA. The video says it all. Discuss.

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/stand-together-the-gaming-community-vs-sopa-and-pipa

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
How do you boycott e3? You're not allowed to got here either way.

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
IamQ said:
A few years back they made E3 back into a single press/public event as opposed to the short-lived E-for-all/E3. At least I think they did.

But yeah, good luck boycotting E3. Besides, not all the companies showcasing their products there are supportive of SOPA.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Pegghead said:
IamQ said:
A few years back they made E3 back into a single press/public event as opposed to the short-lived E-for-all/E3. At least I think they did.

But yeah, good luck boycotting E3. Besides, not all the companies showcasing their products there are supportive of SOPA.
Yeah, if I remember correctly, E3 was always open to the public, until 2007 when it became press only.

And like I said, how do you boycott something you're not allowed to go to either way?

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
IamQ said:
Pegghead said:
IamQ said:

Yeah, if I remember correctly, E3 was always open to the public, until 2007 when it became press only.

And like I said, how do you boycott something you're not allowed to go to either way?
You ask those going who are supposed to "represent" you (the press) and those who you support with your almighty dollar (the publishers) to boycott it on your behalf.

akkronym

Dec 4, 2010
IamQ said:
Pretty simple if you watch the video [and everyone here who hasn't, ought to]. Send messages to your favorite commentators, game companies etc, (Hey there Escapist Magazine) and request that they decline from attending or reporting on E3 unless the ESA withdraws support.

My site has already pledged to do that same (though we have too small an audience to make an impact).

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
IamQ said:
Pegghead said:
IamQ said:

if you watched the video you'd know.

it boils down to flooding company's/game sites/anything video game related that with requests to not cover, or attend E3 until the ESA stops backing SOPA. and writing the company's that have publicly pulled support of SOPA to pull their there financial support of the ESA

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
IamQ said:
Yeah, this is an excellent point. Also I can't understand why I would want to boycott something I would pay loads of cash to be allowed to enter.

There's also the choice of boycotting all game companies that support SOPA which would only result in me not being able to buy any new interesting games and give me no pleasure whatsoever. Also it bears repeating: boycotting E3 is something only the press can do thus we can't boycott it. If the press does they lose a lot of traffic and will lose money from it so no-one is likely to do so. Sheesh, the stupidity of the OP in this one...

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
Why not just call your congressmen and senators?
It seems a lot easier and skips a lot of middle men.

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
Going after their bank account is the fastest way to get someone's attention, and boycotting E3 will wake up the esa.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Yopaz said:
IamQ said:
Yeah, this is an excellent point. Also I can't understand why I would want to boycott something I would pay loads of cash to be allowed to enter.

There's also the choice of boycotting all game companies that support SOPA which would only result in me not being able to buy any new interesting games and give me no pleasure whatsoever. Also it bears repeating: boycotting E3 is something only the press can do thus we can't boycott it. If the press does they lose a lot of traffic and will lose money from it so no-one is likely to do so. Sheesh, the stupidity of the OP in this one...
So you'd sacrifice the internet, the future of free speech, and your integrity cause you have absolutely no ability to deny yourself some fleeting pleasure for a brief period of time. You really sicken me.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
Boycott E3?? What the hell? Okay, but I better never see your ass buying any of the games that were showcased there. If they announce the PS4, Xbox 720.. or show the Puu Wii-U... you better never buy any of them.

Boycott is a big goddamn word and I don't think you realize the severity of what it takes to boycott an entire trade show. In fact, what I just mentioned was the NICE way of doing this; the proper way would be to never buy from a gaming company who showcased there... at least until they announce that they won't be going to E3 again.

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
VMK said:
I am not a citizen of USA.
Is there any way I can help?
I would think it possible for you to ask your country's representatives to engage their foreign relations individuals to speak out against the legislation in terms of how it would effect the international community as a whole.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
I was thinking... Since SOPA is in no way in google's favor and and google runs youtube, couldn't youtube "boycott" E3 by simply forbidding any E3 related videos?

Now everyone go and write to Google about this and there it is... :D

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
Remeber back when people boycotted games for doing things they didnt like( I think it started with L4D2) It's starting to feel like that again. You think People are going to boycott an event they cant go to. More importantly You think gameing websites who's traffic is heaviest traffic week is the week of E3 will give up going to it. No ofcourse not. It seems people will go against anything that isnt against SOPA these days.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Sober Thal said:
But I don't believe in or want a free and open internet.

I also enjoy E3. Does Graham speak for the entire Escapist site? Will there be no E3 coverage found here? I doubt it.

No thanks. Good luck with your internet boycott.
are you taking the piss?

Duruznik

Aug 16, 2009
Pebkio said:
Boycott E3?? What the hell? Okay, but I better never see your ass buying any of the games that were showcased there. If they announce the PS4, Xbox 720.. or show the Puu Wii-U... you better never buy any of them.

Boycott is a big goddamn word and I don't think you realize the severity of what it takes to boycott an entire trade show. In fact, what I just mentioned was the NICE way of doing this; the proper way would be to never buy from a gaming company who showcased there... at least until they announce that they won't be going to E3 again.
I think you're missing ht epoint. It's not about boycotting the games, but the convention itself. The ESA generates huge amounts of revenue from the event itself, revenue that we want to impact by boycotting the event.

The games presented at E3 are irrelevant. That's not where the ESA makes its money, that's where the developers make money. And we're not trying to harm the developers' income.