E3: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
SirCannonFodder said:
TheIronRuler said:
"Deus Ex: Human Revolution may not have the depth of the original"
I stopped reading here.
Actually, having played through the beta (I had the collector's edition pre-ordered already anyway, figured I might as well see what my money's getting me), I'd say it has as much, if not more, depth than the original. I'm on my 4th play-through of those first 12-ish hours so far, each time exploring it as thoroughly as possible, and I'm still finding new paths, hidey-holes, dialogue, etc. Eg, take the "dialogue battle" you can have with Adam Jensen's old SWAT colleague to get into the police station (of course, there's at least 3 other routes to get in, not counting just blasting your way through). There are 4 or 5 rounds of dialogue, and in each round you have 3 options ("Plead", "Crush", and "Absolve). However, your choices in previous rounds affect the dialogue you get in later rounds, meaning the dialogue truly branches. Eg, if you pick "plead" in round 2, you get a different result depending on which of the 3 options you picked in round 1.

That aside, it hasn't really wowed me the same way the original did the first time I played it, and overall it pretty much feels like a bigger, HD version of the original.
Can you visit the other paths from the destination?
It was possible in the original, convince someone to let you in and then find the hacker path by looking for a hatch in the floor. Then you could go through there and check for supplies.

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
TheIronRuler said:
It was possible in the original, convince someone to let you in and then find the hacker path by looking for a hatch in the floor. Then you could go through there and check for supplies.
Yep, all the different routes are open to you at all times.

Irriduccibilli

Jun 15, 2010
Deus Ex looks amazing, and I LOVE how they kept the style from the first one intact, or at least so it seems. Only bad thing that bothers me about this game is the melee. You go up to them and press B or square and you get a short black screen, a cutscene where he knocks them out and then a flowing transition into the gameplay again. Why couldnt they have added a flowing transition into the cutscene instead of the black screen. Oh well, they might fix that, there still is 2 months before it is released. Another thing that bothered me a bit where the lip-synching, it seems a bit off from time to time.
But I really can't wait for this game, I have been waiting for a worthy successor to Deus Ex 1, and this might be it

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
SirCannonFodder said:
TheIronRuler said:
How about the supplies?
I remember that I always HAD to conserve supplies, always had limited amounts of prod charges so instead of knocking them out with a baton and risking it I avoided them.
Do you get supplies easily? How about credits? What about drawing weapons in public/shooting at people in the streets and then having the police chase you? One last question... do they have mechs?
I feel like I might give this a chance.

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
TheIronRuler said:
SirCannonFodder said:
TheIronRuler said:
How about the supplies?
I remember that I always HAD to conserve supplies, always had limited amounts of prod charges so instead of knocking them out with a baton and risking it I avoided them.
Do you get supplies easily? How about credits? What about drawing weapons in public/shooting at people in the streets and then having the police chase you? One last question... do they have mechs?
I feel like I might give this a chance.
If you do a balanced approach without relying on one method too heavily, then you generally never run out of supplies. Eg, my first play through I mainly used the taser and tranq rifle, and I was constantly on single-digit ammo counts. Similarly, trying to get by mostly with carefully timed takedowns left me either hiding in corners waiting for my single energy cell to recharge (you start with 2 fully charged, but a takedown uses 1, and only the first cell recharges by itself, and painfully slowly at that), or carefully consuming the incredibly rare energy food bars to refill half a cell at a time (it is possible to buy tubs of energy food that restore your energy completely, but they take up 4 precious inventory squares). However, mixing the two methods, combined with thorough exploration and looting of enemies, I was able to get by quite comfortably. I haven't done a lethal play-through yet, but there seemed to be an ample supply of bullets, since that was what most enemies carried.

A combination of careful exploration, hacking everything I possibly could (the new hacking mini-game occasionally gives out some credits), the tendency to knock out and loot everyone even remotely hostile (most NPCs will carry between 10 and 100 credits, some more, some less), and the fact that you can now sell stuff meant I was usually flush with credits, but since you can only buy limited quantities of everything (eg, I think in the beta you could buy a grand total of 15 tranq darts and 10 taser shots, which if you aren't careful you will burn through astonishingly quickly), it didn't help much.

Having a weapon drawn and trying to talk to random NPCs gets you a variety of comments ranging from hostile to terrified, and people you can actually speak with will angrily refuse to do so until you holster it. Firing on the streets will cause civilians to run scared, cops to threaten you, and gangbangers to return fire, and if you actually attack someone where an officer can see you (or if a witness reaches the cops), all the police in the area will go hostile, and while they stop looking for you after a while, if they see you again they will open fire.

If you don't mind having the first proper mission (basically equivalent to the Liberty Island mission) spoiled, these two articles give a pretty good overview of what to expect:
RockPaperShotgun preview [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/02/24/deus-ex-human-revolution-preview/]
Eurogamer preview [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-24-deus-ex-human-revolution-hands-on]

EDIT: On mechs, beside the occasional turret I haven't run into any yet, but what's in the beta seems to be only a small part of the final game.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
SirCannonFodder said:
You're posts literally told me more about the game than any video or article posts I've read/seen so far. Thanks'a plenty!

allistairp said:
Other examples in the demo included a double takedown ability that would make Assassin's Creed's Ezio blush
Hey, I've SEEN that double takedown in a video of the demo and that reckless, loud and obnoxious move would NOT make the graceful and precise Ezio Auditore blush! /AC fanboy rant