E3: Dungeon Siege III

Auxiliary

Feb 20, 2011
What is wrong with it?

I have found no redeeming qualities in this game, the average game on newgrounds manages to impress me more.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
I'll sum up my list of points:

- It's not Dungeon Siege. Played any of the previous games? Forget everything you know.
- Bad controls. Obviously made for consoles. I was lucky to have a 360 controller plugged into my PC.
- Tight and linear. Instead of exploring the forest a bit, you're forced to take the only road.
- No character customization. Pick your least hated character from 4 uglies instead.
- The story is just meh. Something about the 10th legion and Ehb, that's all the connection I could make to the original games.
- Guns.
- Button smashing from hell.
- And far as I know, no 4-character party.

IAmTheVoid

Apr 26, 2009
I guess I'm in the minority who liked the demo, then. Having a very small connection to the DS franchise (I played about five hours of DS1 and hated it, and I'm playing through DS2 now and enjoying it despite the horrible UI) and not much expectation upon the game, I found it worth the Steam bundle.

I think what people have also got to remember is that, although a demo is meant to be representative of the final product, you can have bad demos. One complaint I've heard is that of linearity; if you remember at the start of DS2, you're on a linear path for quite some time. We can see that there were nooks and crannies in the demo, but they're cut off from you for the demo, for some reason.

I found the controls a bit awkward, but nothing too bad. What IS damning is the lack of keymapping. Seriously, Obsidian, you have to be screwing me here. That is just utter bullcrap.

Still, it got my pre-order, if only from the value of getting DS1 (which I may give another chance) and DS2, plus DS3 for £29.99. I predict it being an alright action-RPG which will just plug the gap for better games like Torchlight 2 and Diablo 3.

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
Irridium said:
Played the demo.

Obsidian, the fuck happened to you? Yeah your games aren't the greatest gameplay-wise, but there's enough there to find it pretty decent. But this? This is just... I don't even know.

And the story just seems so... awful. And coming from you... I just don't understand why.

KOTOR 2, New Vegas, Alpha Protocol, Neverwinter Nights 2 expansions(the expansions are easily far better than both main NWN games. Easily) along with games made by the team before they became Obsidian(Fallout 1/2, Planescape: Torment)... just what the fuck happened with this game?

Just... what the fuck happened?
Look at all of the games you listed. What wasn't there when all of those games were made?

Here's a hint: It's the publisher.

Apr 28, 2008
Mr. Grey said:
Irridium said:
Played the demo.

Obsidian, the fuck happened to you? Yeah your games aren't the greatest gameplay-wise, but there's enough there to find it pretty decent. But this? This is just... I don't even know.

And the story just seems so... awful. And coming from you... I just don't understand why.

KOTOR 2, New Vegas, Alpha Protocol, Neverwinter Nights 2 expansions(the expansions are easily far better than both main NWN games. Easily) along with games made by the team before they became Obsidian(Fallout 1/2, Planescape: Torment)... just what the fuck happened with this game?

Look at all of the games you listed. What wasn't there when all of those games were made?

I didn't say anything about a publisher in my post.

Shilkanni

Mar 28, 2010
I really enjoyed elementals of Dungeon Siege 1 and 2, they were definitely not amazing games, the story was terrible and combat was a little boring but there some great things about them, some good boss battles, nice environments, background loading, some interesting mechanics. I always enjoyed Co-op-ing them with friends for at least a couple sessions.

I remember the DS2 expansion being terrible though.

I've never been keen on Obsidian so didn't have much interest in DS3 when I found out they were making it, but it sounds even worse than I expected. Buy the sound of people's impressions to far I think I'll give NWN2 & its expansions a try to give Obsidian a fair try before giving DS3 any of my time.

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
Irridium said:
Mr. Grey said:
Irridium said:
Played the demo.

I know, the hint was towards my question. What wasn't there when all of those games were being developed? The answer was Square Enix.

Especially given that Obsidian could easily have made another Dungeon Siege following that lineup you posted.

Apr 28, 2008
Mr. Grey said:
Irridium said:
Mr. Grey said:
Irridium said:
Played the demo.

I know, the hint was towards my question. What wasn't there when all of those games were being developed? The answer was Square Enix.

Especially given that Obsidian could easily have made another Dungeon Siege following that lineup you posted.
Ooooh, I see now.

I figured you meant that Obsidian was the one constant throughout all those games.