E3: Hands On with Company of Heroes 2

Spoonius

Jul 18, 2009
Pandalisk said:
tipp6353 said:
I was spoiled by Men of War and its direct control system so I don't know if I will buy it or not.
This man knows what i'm on about. Damn fine Infantry and Tank mechanics. now if only we had more people in the world to play the game.
MoW is ridiculously clumsy, only made worse by the stupid inventory system.

I played about 45 minutes of the campaign before thinking "fuck it, can't be bothered anymore". I mean, you have to hold down specific buttons, send specific guys off to specific bodies (SMG gunners for SMG/pistol rounds, machine gunners for LMG rounds, Riflemen for rifle magazines) one-by-one, then share all the ammo between everybody equally (after figuring out who has what), then sort out who has medkits, grenades, helmets, etc, then do the same all over again after every decent-sized battle...

Seriously, I spent ten times as long babysitting inventories as I did fighting. Maybe I missed something somewhere, but I don't see how anybody could enjoy that! Especially with the hundreds of men and tanks in multiplayer...

CoH may not have all the bells and whistles, but it more than makes up for it with it's fluid gameplay..

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
I_am_a_Spoon said:
Pandalisk said:
tipp6353 said:
I was spoiled by Men of War and its direct control system so I don't know if I will buy it or not.
This man knows what i'm on about. Damn fine Infantry and Tank mechanics. now if only we had more people in the world to play the game.
MoW is ridiculously clumsy, only made worse by the stupid inventory system.

I played about 45 minutes of the campaign before thinking "fuck it, can't be bothered anymore". I mean, you have to hold down specific buttons, send specific guys off to specific bodies (SMG gunners for SMG/pistol rounds, machine gunners for LMG rounds, Riflemen for rifle magazines) one-by-one, then share all the ammo between everybody equally (after figuring out who has what), then sort out who has medkits, grenades, helmets, etc, then do the same all over again after every decent-sized battle...

Seriously, I spent ten times as long babysitting inventories as I did fighting. Maybe I missed something somewhere, but I don't see how anybody could enjoy that! Especially with the hundreds of men and tanks in multiplayer...

CoH may not have all the bells and whistles, but it more than makes up for it with it's fluid gameplay..
Men of War: Assualt Squad or Men of War? on is by the Russian company 1C, the other is the German one by DMS, im talking the DMS version here which is leagues better than 1C's Men of War which is shoddy at best.

It doesn't shine in the Campaign, the campaign is the tutorial for new players to prepare them as much as possible for the multiplayer which is a completely different beast. Also, selected you squad, select all the ammo you want and it gets shared out to everyone and they share ammo if one guy runs out.

and in multiplayer i have never had to change the standared inventory of a soldier. Sometimes i grab a Bazooka from a jeep or a MG from the m20 but other than that, nothing. the only thing in multiplayer that need your attention like that is the IS-2 and 3 because of the 12 shots they have and rocket artillery. and hundreds of tanks? what settings do you use? standard only gives you 3000 points gradually. that's 2 Panthers at most if you dont spend anything at all for 30 minutes.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
where is it....

there it is.
Very excited, love the game series.

LtWigglesworth

Jan 4, 2012
goodman528 said:
CoH was my number one favorite game, however, I'll be very disappointed if they don't do more in CoH 2. Back in 2006 it was a revolutionary game (because most people have never played Ground control), no resource collection, squad based unit control, cover based combat, firing arcs for weapons support teams, all of that was very interesting. That was what made it a good RTS. However, if they just try to release the same game 6 years later... ... it would just feel like the same game, but you know, out dated by six years of development.

Problems with CoH 1 system:

1) Capping points is an abusable system that took away all sense of realism in multiplayer. Pio-Spam, Rifle-Spam, Volks-Spam in COHO, are all results of the point capping system. Europe in Ruins mod and Wargame: EE has come up with better systems already.

2) Infantry (Especially Vetted KCH) will eat up hundreds of machine gun bullets, take 155mm artillery shells to the face, and still kill anything on the battlefield like they are God. I frequently run vet 3 KCH around sherman tanks and charging head on into MGs, knowing that 76mm HE shells and 7.92mm bullets are evidently not enough to kill 3 flesh and blood men, because as we all know Nazis in black leather are ******* gods.

3) House ownership. Why can't I just storm into an enemy occupied house and fight them for it? But instead have to run around the house like a bunch of idiots shooting at walls? Also bullets that shoot through terrain is an engine problem.

4) Accuracy. Most of the units in the game can't hit an elephant standing right in front of them with a ******* rifle.

5) Hit Points for Tanks and Vehicles. <-- This is what makes RTS games so unrealistic. After all these years of RTS development why do we still have hit points in games?! When an AP shell hits a tanks, it should do one of three things: a) Bounce off, b) Penetrate and damage specific modules and/or kill crew members, c) destroy the tank. It should NOT take away some hit points from the tank. I mean WTF do hit points represent for a tank?!

CoH was one of the best games ever made, and I bought it twice (on disk and on steam), and I told all of my friends to buy it and try it. However, if they make the same game six years later, then it will be nothing but a derivative RTS title. Look at Starcraft, which was the best RTS game in 1999, but Starcraft 2 is a boring and outdated RTS game for 2010. I don't want to see CoH go down that same road.
Have you played the blitzkrieg mod? That solves a lot of the damage problems, and infantry damage. Firefights kill men now, running into an mg will just result in a pile of your men's corpses and tanks get HE rounds which can kill whole squads. but AP rounds generally one-hit tanks. Also mines regularly blow treads off and the like. The brits are un-fucked and there is a lot more variety in the units available to each team.