E3: Leedmees

allistairp

Apr 22, 2011
E3: Leedmees

Hidden away behind sports, dance and mini-game collections, Leedmees is a Kinect treasure waiting to be discovered.

Leedmees is a refreshingly clever Kinect game with a simple premise: You control a stick figure of God-like proportions that guides lemmings, who mindlessly walk forward, to a goal. Being that this is a game where you are the controller, moving your body is the only way to control your on-screen figure's body parts.

At the start, guiding the minions from their blue spawn portal to the red portal is a breeze. You stretch out your arms to provide a lengthy bridge, flex your muscles to create a wall and, if you are a crafty player, toss them by flicking your wrist. If you aren't quick enough to reach the little guys, they'll fall to their death like idiots. Being mindful of their spawn portal grows increasingly difficult, as the levels progress, so it becomes vital to stretch out your legs. Watching the lemmings grab onto your leg and hang on tight, during a last minute save, achieves levels of adorableness that words can do no justice.

Once you get the feel for how your body syncs with your on-screen avatar, the game opens up to new possibilities and challenges. Unlike other Kinect games, Leadmees encourages players to move out of place, shuffling to the right and left. Throughout the demo, I never had problems with the Kinect tracking. Later levels include platforms you need to punch, in order to temporarily move them out of the lemmings' path. There are also switches you need to hit, ghosts you need to swipe away (or else be temporarily stunned), and other clever obstacles that appear level-by-level.

Co-op mode is where Leedmees shines. By teaming up with a partner, you can play the game's Multiplay stages that require a higher level of reaction skills and strategic play. The first co-op level featured a randomly spawning blue portal and a red portal, which would always come attached to a player's body part. Having one player holding an awkward pose, as the minions walk across, is tricky enough. Adding on a second player, whose head is the end goal, makes for absolute chaos and a great time. The second co-op stage featured a stand-up version of Twister, where both players must hold body parts on flashing switches and the other touching the other player's on-screen hand.

With 50 single-player and 12 co-op stages, Leadmees will make for a welcome diversion between Shooter McShooter and The Shootening 3 when it comes to Xbox Live Arcade later this summer. With more games like this, I would pick up the Kinect in a heartbeat.

Leadmees needs no "for a Kinect game"-qualifier. It's one of the best games at E3, period. The small amount of stages is disappointing, but I can already tell I'll enjoy every minute while it lasts.

See all our coverage directly from the show floor. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e3_2011]

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
This is the kind of uniqueness that makes the kinect shine as an input device. Way to go, Leedmeed!

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
allistairp said:
Leadmees needs no "for a Kinect game"-qualifier. It's one of the best games at E3, period. The small amount of stages is disappointing, but I can already tell I'll enjoy every minute while it lasts.
You may be disappointed with the number of stages now, but just wait until the inevitable fan-made levels come along. I would honestly be surprised if Konami and Microsoft didn't include some sort of level design tool to allow fan-made levels like with Little Big Planet. In fact, I reckon it wouldn't be amiss to say this has the potential of being LBP for the 360... and it's this sort of thing that gives me continued hope for Kinect and reinforces the belief I've held all along that it's not just a gimmick and that motion controls like this really are the future of gaming...

allistairp

Apr 22, 2011
Sadly, there will be no level editor feature.

It seems like Konami aren't giving this game the love it deserves. With no showing at their press conference and being hidden away (with only one booth) at the show floor, it seems like they are sending this one out to die.

And, of course, this is all happening while a giant Glee stage with cheerleaders takes up space with no one stopping to check it out.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
You mean they're making games like this and the games they are actually hocking are minigame compilations like Kinect Sports [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/3409-Kinect-Sports-Season-Two-Announcement] and all the already established franchises like Mass Effect which are having Kinect jammed into them as unceremoniously as possible?

Fail, Microsoft.