E3: Microsoft Announces Halo 4 (and 5, and 6)

ReaperzXIII

Jan 3, 2010
YAY A NEW HALO GAME!!! I don't care what everyone else says, I am amused by CoD, Halo, I don't care how many sequels you want to make as long as they interest me and its better than sitting around doing nothing I will give you money.

To be completely honest I'll prefer Halo 4 to Half Life: Episode 3, Half Life 2 barely kept my interest, found it boring.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
AgentNein said:
Optimistic. The covenant/flood/halo storyline has been finished, can be put aside (as long as the devs honor that story being finished, plz devs honor that thnx), we can get on to new adventures and shit. Maybe the chance to tell less of a "war story" and more of a Master Chief isolated in a new situation story. Yeah I know "but halo IS about war and shit", I don't care. All bets are off, new story.

New aliens, new threat, etc...

I'd also love to see a bit of the covenant races living in harmony with earth. I love that shit. Possibly towards the end when it looks like all hope is lost, suddenly a rescue team arrives consisting of humans, elites, Hunters, Grunts. COULD BE EFFING COOL.
They're already building on post-war story. The Elites have a rough, but still somewhat friendly, relationship with the humans. The Prophets have disappeared. The Brutes are being hunted by the Elites. The Jackals have gone back to their space-pirate roots. No news on Hunters and Grunts, but they probably depend on who is there to control them.

It is a new threat... or rather, a really, really old one. Either we're seeing the return of the Forerunners, or they're own ancestors, which the Forerunners referred to as the Precursors... and that could be bad. Very bad.

Or, something altogether new... which would be cool.

dashiz94 said:
ZeroMachine said:
darthricardo said:
Alright, just gonna do some copy-pasta from the accidental reveal here...
As much as I like the idea of making more games to explore the world and setting of Halo, I really don't like this. Reach did it right: Halo 3 is really the end, there's not much more you can do with the story after that. Prequels are definitely the way to go; there's like 20 years of the Human-Covenant world to explore, after all. As much as it makes sense for Microsoft to milk this cash cow, there's far, FAR better ways to do this. This isn't just greed, it's crass, stupid storytelling.
Still relevant here.
You played it? I didn't realize it. Please, explain the story and how it's crass and stupid to me. I'd love to hear what happens.

That is, if you know and know that the storytelling is bad. If you don't, though... well that'd be just silly of you to call it that, wouldn't it?

Don't make assumptions.
Halo 3: FINISH THE FIGHT.

From the outset Halo 3 was set to be the end of Master Chief's story. Bungie quit and set up 343 studios to make more Halo games in general, hence Reach and ODST. I really can't see how this won't end up like the Star Wars series did with the prequels. Ironically, prequels seem to be the way to go to make decent stories out of the Halo Universe. Hell, why not make a game about the Forerunner versus the Flood war? That would be more interesting. As it stands, this looks like it will rehash the story thread of Halo 1 with maybe a few upgrades to the gameplay.

The hate isn't unwarranted. A lot of smaller companies will not do well the holiday season of 2012 because everyone will buy Halo 4.
The hate is completely unwarranted, you know nothing about the game! And they also said from the start, it was the end of that story, not his story. It was the end of the Human-Covenant War. And that has stayed true.

This probably will focus just on John and what happens to him on the outer edge of the galaxy. There is nothing, NOTHING wrong with continuing a story if you do it right.

If I find out that the game sucks, I'll say your hate is warranted. And you can even say "I told you so". But until then, you're just another one of the unjustified haters that judge before they see anything regarding the game itself.

Haydyn

Mar 27, 2009
"Mr. Owl, how many years does it take before Microsoft announces they are reviving Halo after Bungie's departure?"

Owl: Years? Try 2/3 of a year. Damn you, Microsoft! Here I am criticizing games for coming out every year, and now you go and turn Halo into a 5 bucks a month payment plan. How am I gonna afford my marijuana when I gotta buy a new Halo every year? The only shooter I like is getting a revamp without the original developer, just fucking great!

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
GamesB2 said:
I'd still like to see some more spin off games (More ODST, more Halo Wars, maybe something where you play exclusively as the Covenant) but hell I don't care, I love Halo and no doubt I'll buy into this trilogy and the Anniversary Edition
I would actually, hopefully there will be.

OT: Everyone stop hating already, this was bound to happen. If developers want to carry on a POPULAR series, they can. If they are good quality, then what's the problem?

Now if you want to bash a series because of to many sequels (which is a petty argument anyway), go to COD or Mario.

Karthek

Feb 26, 2009
Nfritzappa said:
Im gonna be the bastard on this forum thats going to be different and say I'm actually excited for this. F*** the haters.
You arent alone :D

Apollo45

Jan 30, 2011
We'll see how they turn out. Looks like they have an opportunity to change the story around a little bit, give us something new to work with (I mean, have we seen anything like that anywhere? Maybe we end up fighting a new enemy, or trying to survive on some hostile world or something instead of just fighting the Covenant). I'll give it about 50-50 that it's going to be more of the same though. Not necessarily a bad thing, but not really a good thing either.

What I'm more excited for is the remake of Halo CE. That was always the best of the series, and so long as the keep everything the same, just update multiplayer (maps + online play) and the graphics, then I'll be more than happy with it. Have some amazing memories from Halo PC and Halo LAN parties, and it'll be fun to do it all over again. As much as anything though, this is evidence of how multiplayer-oriented the Halo franchise is. The campaign'll be fun to play through again, but it obviously won't be anything new and revolutionary.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
darthricardo said:
ZeroMachine said:
darthricardo said:
As much as I like the idea of making more games to explore the world and setting of Halo, I really don't like this. Reach did it right: Halo 3 is really the end, there's not much more you can do with the story after that. Prequels are definitely the way to go; there's like 20 years of the Human-Covenant world to explore, after all. As much as it makes sense for Microsoft to milk this cash cow, there's far, FAR better ways to do this. This isn't just greed, it's crass, stupid storytelling.
Still relevant here.
You played it? I didn't realize it. Please, explain the story and how it's crass and stupid to me. I'd love to hear what happens.

That is, if you know and know that the storytelling is bad. If you don't, though... well that'd be just silly of you to call it that, wouldn't it?

Don't make assumptions.
Fair enough, maybe it's not that stupid. I'm not saying the game can't be good (in fact, knowing Halo, I'm thinking it might be pretty awesome), I'm just saying it's a clumsy case of shoehorning a story where it doesn't really belong. At the end of the day, after all's said and done and no matter how good the game and its story is, it's a story attached on the end of a story made (and already wrapped up) and finished by somebody else.
I see more as just "a new story involving old characters" than "a story tacked onto the end of a story".

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
Nurb said:
The Bandit said:
More casual fans probably aren't aware of the Legendary ending. The normal post-credits scene really was a satisfying ending.

But, yes, this day was obviously coming, so just shut up and accept it.
I'm not a fan of beating a dead horse either, but people throw around "casual" as much as "hipster" without using the terms properly

Foobula said:
And once again, they wont release it for the PC because microsoft hates their fans
This bugs me too... "BUT PC MARKET IS DEAD EVEN THOUGH PC REVENUE IS UP 19% THIS YEAR ALREADY LOL"
No. That's a proper use of the term casual. As in, apathetic. Not taking seriously. Unconcerned with. A casual fan would probably not beat the game on the highest difficulty. Please explain where I used it wrong.

Alexeduardo

Feb 1, 2010
This is a silly franchise that take sitself waay to seriously. Here's hoping they mix it up. It looks as if the master chief is going to be alone on some sort of huge machine-world, hopefully this'll mean a throwback to the good old days of "you vs. the world", as Prtnoy would have it.

Chappy

May 17, 2010
Meh people were always going to hate the idea of a sequel but it was obviously coming and if I'm honest I'm looking forward to it more than CoD MW3 or Gears 3 now I know its coming relatively soon (And not in a decade or something.)

Providing that Microsoft leave the Covenant and that war to the first Trilogy I think this could work well, to me (and probably Microsoft) It would be a new title, new game series (New enemies, story, weapons, abilities and controls ect.) using an old games series and character just for the fanbase and publicity.

blobby218

Aug 24, 2009
i am interested in all new halo games especially the remake of combat evolved, but i've seen the trailer for halo 4 and it looks pretty bad-ass. something not to ignore, lets see if you can keep up bungie's good work 343 industries, i hope you do

Spoonius

Jul 18, 2009
'Baters gonna 'bate, maters gonna mate, haters gonna hate.

Relax people. Ain't the Messiah nor the Anti-Christ till ya know what it's actually like.

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
Not much to say about this save for: "optimistically awaiting the next trailer."

I'm placing my trust in you 343 Industries... Do not let me down.

LJJ1991

May 6, 2011
I... don't know what to think of this. I mean, I'll admit, it's interesting, but... I just don't know. All I'm saying is it better be good.

wadark

Dec 22, 2007
Feel free to sling hate and flames at me for saying so, but I LOVE Halo, and Bungie left some interesting tidbits for future installments at the end of 3. 343 is populated by several former Bungie employees, including Frank O'conner, so I think they'll do alright.

My one concern right now is that whoever voiced Cortana and Chief didn't sound quite like the original actors. Hopefully I'm either mishearing under the explosions and panicked tones or they were just placeholder voices for the trailer. Otherwise, I'll be pissed.

dakaptin

Oct 31, 2010
Great. Now I need to find another friend with a 360 and the money to drop on the new trilogy. Can't wait to see how the story advances. And how could anybody be surprised by Halo 4? I mean, did we really expect the hero of the universe to go into cryo for the rest of time? Come on, man...

JPArbiter said:
bobby1361 said:
He didn't have a jetpack in Halo 3, who upgraded him!?
I am hoping that that was not a jetpack so much as a built in Reaction Control System alluded to in Halo Novels, being overused.
Looks like I'll have to re-read the novels; I don't remember anything about the RCS. The jetpack worried me a bit, but given that the suit was designed for use in and out of atmosphere, its presence isn't really all that surprising.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
wadark said:
Feel free to sling hate and flames at me for saying so, but I LOVE Halo, and Bungie left some interesting tidbits for future installments at the end of 3. 343 is populated by several former Bungie employees, including Frank O'conner, so I think they'll do alright.

My one concern right now is that whoever voiced Cortana and Chief didn't sound quite like the original actors. Hopefully I'm either mishearing under the explosions and panicked tones or they were just placeholder voices for the trailer. Otherwise, I'll be pissed.
Chief sounds the same. Cortana sounds different, but close enough IMO.

wadark

Dec 22, 2007
ZeroMachine said:
wadark said:

Chief sounds the same. Cortana sounds different, but close enough IMO.
Like I said, I've never really heard Chief speak in that kind of hurried, almost panic tone, so that could've been it. But you're right, Cortana sounds a little off, here's hoping.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
ZeroMachine said:
AgentNein said:
Optimistic. The covenant/flood/halo storyline has been finished, can be put aside (as long as the devs honor that story being finished, plz devs honor that thnx), we can get on to new adventures and shit. Maybe the chance to tell less of a "war story" and more of a Master Chief isolated in a new situation story. Yeah I know "but halo IS about war and shit", I don't care. All bets are off, new story.

New aliens, new threat, etc...

I'd also love to see a bit of the covenant races living in harmony with earth. I love that shit. Possibly towards the end when it looks like all hope is lost, suddenly a rescue team arrives consisting of humans, elites, Hunters, Grunts. COULD BE EFFING COOL.
They're already building on post-war story. The Elites have a rough, but still somewhat friendly, relationship with the humans. The Prophets have disappeared. The Brutes are being hunted by the Elites. The Jackals have gone back to their space-pirate roots. No news on Hunters and Grunts, but they probably depend on who is there to control them.
Is that in some of the novels? As much as I love the IDEA of expanded universe Halo world I'm always more content with reading through a wiki or something of that stuff than actually reading the books. They left me cold. But that's very cool.

I'm personally always holding out some hope for some concrete Marathon connections. I know it's unrealistic ("hey guys, you know what would be cool? If we based the plot on elements of an obscure fifteen year old series of games made by Bungie that only a small niche of Halo fans know about!"), but I can dream.

ZeroMachine said:
dashiz94 said:
ZeroMachine said:
darthricardo said:
Still relevant here.

Don't make assumptions.
Halo 3: FINISH THE FIGHT.

From the outset Halo 3 was set to be the end of Master Chief's story. Bungie quit and set up 343 studios to make more Halo games in general, hence Reach and ODST. I really can't see how this won't end up like the Star Wars series did with the prequels. Ironically, prequels seem to be the way to go to make decent stories out of the Halo Universe. Hell, why not make a game about the Forerunner versus the Flood war? That would be more interesting. As it stands, this looks like it will rehash the story thread of Halo 1 with maybe a few upgrades to the gameplay.

The hate isn't unwarranted. A lot of smaller companies will not do well the holiday season of 2012 because everyone will buy Halo 4.
The hate is completely unwarranted, you know nothing about the game! And they also said from the start, it was the end of that story, not his story. It was the end of the Human-Covenant War. And that has stayed true.

This probably will focus just on John and what happens to him on the outer edge of the galaxy. There is nothing, NOTHING wrong with continuing a story if you do it right.

If I find out that the game sucks, I'll say your hate is warranted. And you can even say "I told you so". But until then, you're just another one of the unjustified haters that judge before they see anything regarding the game itself.
Seriously agreed. And this whole concept of hating Halo for taking money away from other games on the holidays? That's fucking childish.