E3: Need for Speed: The Run Exits the Vehicle

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
It's actually kind of cute that Need For Speed still thinks they're relevant enough to "hook you into the game from beginning to end". I have yet to meet someone who doesn't just play for a few hours then gets bored with it immediately.

This looks like the next step of their plan to hook in the Fast & Furious mouthbreathers. First Underground, then Carbon, now this bullshit.

It won't be long now before they incorporate shooter elements and heists into these games. It'll be Vin Diesel's Wheelman all over again.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
My favorite game from this franchise was Carbon and NFS2. Everything else was just...whatever. At least the underground series had the cool modification going for it. And I can appreciate that those chase junkies liked Most Wanted.

Since Pro Street, I've stopped playing. It just doesn't grab me anymore. Undercover just felt too immature (or maybe I'm just getting older), and Shift didn't have the right physics with the car just floating all over the road. I was hoping one day they would give me a good reason to come back, but this is *not* it, it seems. I'll still try it out though, I'll never condemn a game before I've played it, it just doesn't sound like QTE and getting out of the car are what people want out of an NFS game, but I can't speak for everyone.

IIRC, the Driver series had one where you got out of the car, in a GTA wannabe style, I never played that one though, apparently it fell flat on its face? Which makes me curious as to why EA would want to follow this model

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
That whole section was absolutely hilarious. It was like, the police are willing to riddle the streets with bullets, explode various civilian vehicles with the civilians still inside, all while chasing one measly little guy and filling the whole place with bullets.

On top of that, the whole on-foot section was hilariously stupid. All it was was an extended quick time event. The racing itself looks pretty cool, but I would rather not have to get out of the vehicle just to press triangle over and over again.

Ultima Shadow

Apr 8, 2009
If they incorporated Mirror's Edge-style parkour, maybe a few sequences of other non-car vehicles (it's still a Need for Speed, is it not?) and basically made the entire thing a take-off of action movies, then it would be a wicked awesome game.

But this...
-facepalm-

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
Didn't "Driver" do this?

And did that not kill that franchise?

Not a racing game fan myself, so don't hold me to that, but watching "the RUN" gave me deja vu.
I've got a friend who likes these games, I'll have to ask him what her thinks about it.
The quicktime events looked lame though, for what its worth.

awdrifter

Apr 1, 2011
If I can actually get out of the car Driver 2 style, then I would welcome the change. But this is just bullshit. Blackbox can't make a good racing game, actually the NFS franchise hasn't been good since Porsche Unleashed. Hot Pursuit 3 was too arcady, and NO MANUAL transmission option, that was rediculous. Shift 2 was decent after some patching, but the physics engine isn't up to par with other sim games.

When the game comes out Yahtzee should review it, he hates QTEs, so I'm sure he'll have a lot to say about it.