E3: Nintendo Should Have Shown "Project P-100"

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
E3: Nintendo Should Have Shown "Project P-100"

The most intriguing Wii U title at E3 didn't get shown during Nintendo's conference.

Despite big concepts like "asymmetric gameplay" and the hotness of seeing Arkham Asylum and Mass Effect 3 on a Nintendo console, the E3 presentation on the Wii U was kind of a bust. Instead of spending 30 minutes on Nintendoland and Wii Fit, Nintendo of Americ President Reggie Fils-Aime could have been highlighting a game being developed by Platinum Games, the studio behind MadWorld and Bayonetta. Codenamed "Project P-100", the Wii U title pits groups of super humans fighting against giant aliens in multiplayer action on an isometric landscape.

The trailer makes "Project P-100" look like a mashup between Katamari Damacy and The Incredibles. It looks like individual players control a group of heroes which can morph into shapes to solve puzzles or attack or even turn into a giant Jell-O mold.

Some of the heroes you'll be able to recruit include Bonzai Man, Vending Machine Man and Toilet Bowl Man. No word if Toilet Brush man will make an appearance. There will even be mechanics involving the Wii U Gamepad, like exploring secret areas.

Perhaps "Project P-100" wasn't deemed polished enough to show during the official Nintendo conference, but here's hoping it's available to play at the Nintendo booth this week. I can't wait to hear what Susan Arendt will say about it.

See all our coverage directly from the E3 2012 show floor. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e3-2012]

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
So, it's a game where your some sort of hero, collecting people up to create things like fists and shields to fight alien robots?

Color me Intrigued, but I will need more information before I can say anything else about this game.

Would have been better then Nintendoland though...

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
It kind of remind me of Little King Story (since you're using your followers to do the handy work) but more emphasis of molding the group into tools to fight or puzzle solving.
Still consider Platinum track record I expecting nothing but the best from this game.

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
So its a game where you probably start off as a hero during an alien invasion, and you have the power to recruit civilians to join you and turn them into heros yourself and from the little avatars it looks like you will be able to use ur mii's to do it. Unfortunately it does not seem to be a versus battle where u go against each other but rather vs as in who accomplishes the goal first. Still though, color me intrigued.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Where was that in the presentation? Everything else was droll and boring. This would have been exciting to see. Sad, though, that it was probably skipped because it doesn't maximize the potential for the tablet controller. Show us games that use the pro controller, I bet they'd get a lot of attention.

Mikael Johansson

Jun 5, 2012
They should have shown this!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P50d9xsLzB0

If nintendo had done this people would have sent them their life savings! This is prrof nintendo is don for becouse this is what the should have done! Something like it at least!

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
If it's by Platinum Games I'm almost always interested by default. This is no different! It looks fun and interesting, and typically quirky.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Four player mode looks hilarious. They better have a Voltron feature for big boss battles where you have to yell at your friends for limb coordination.

Druyn

May 6, 2010
I'm going to hold to a curious, but unimpressed. It looks like a fun concept, but I don't really know if it looks like they pulled it off well, or if its the game for me. I guess I'd like to see more.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
I saw it on gametrailers exclusively anyways, so I was okay. Say what you want about their spike affiliation or about the fact that I am essentially advertising them right now (Sorry moderators), but gametrailers really does have some great exclusive stuff.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Agreed. This is much cooler. Not really the type of game I'm into anymore, but cool none the less!

Greg Tito said:
Nintendo of Americ
Is this a province of amercia?

Risenant

Sep 24, 2011
I'm finding it interesting that the positive comments revolving around WiiU games are that the game is interesting or intriguing and not something like "I want to play that."

It's the same with me here. I like the concept but I dunno something about the style of the game doesn't grip me. Maybe it'll be cooler once it shapes up more.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
See this is the lack of 3rd party support that Nintendo keeps showing. Why didn't they show this game? Seriously?

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Most likely it wasn't shown cause they're not bringing it to the States.

This is Nintendo...